No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

The thing with this update for me is that it reset the universe, so its a different universe now. My base was on a lush green planet but is now on a frigid Icy one ! :O That really makes it all useless in a way. It feels this update will make sense on starting a new game, everything is strewn around and my base and the tech slots in my ship all basically went wonky. Basically I will have to strip all tech and re-craft them in new slots which tbh, feels really ...

My base is now on a planet where I have to take 20-minute trips if I want to harvest enough plutonium for a single launch. I've literally visited hundreds of planets, and I have never encountered one where resources where this sparse. It really sucks.

My base.

mMtqVIM.jpg
Nice grass.

Back to the topic, and sorry if someone already went through this, but seen how this game is now cheaper than a bag of chips, and after all the updates... Is it worth buying now??

You're called BRiT but you're not a Brit?

I must let Her Majesty know of this subterfuge!

And yes, chips come in bags. Sort of. It's more like they're gift wrapped in newspaper.

Nice grass.

soil fertility is high there.

Back to the topic, and sorry if someone already went through this, but seen how this game is now cheaper than a bag of chips, and after all the updates... Is it worth buying now??

i'd say for that price, yes. I'm still disappointed by a lot of things, but i can't stop playing it for whaterver reason. I can spend hours just exploring and not following any story or mission at all, though the game really lacks diversity in the landscapes and species.
it's both boring and fascinating.

Chips are thick cut. Fries are slender. Crisps are what yanks call chips.
And now you've made me hungry again. Thanks.

I gave it a go after the patch. I seem to be in a god-forsaken system with no real resources, and no apparent way of making money for a ship upgrade (currently got 2 million in currency, everyone wants 15m+ for their ships).

Well I started playing. Left my ship, shot a rock, got attacked by a flying drone thing, ran to a cave and got killed by a crab. Thought can't be like that all the time, must just have been unlucky. Left my ship, wandered around for a bit trying to figure out what to do. Shot some rocks. Shot some more rocks. Shot a plant. Shot a plant on a rock. Walked too far and ran out of power. Deleted game and sent back for a refund.

That was by far the worst game I've attempted to play this gen. Quite literally painful. 'My face is tired'....

Well I started playing. Left my ship, shot a rock, got attacked by a flying drone thing, ran to a cave and got killed by a crab. Thought can't be like that all the time, must just have been unlucky. Left my ship, wandered around for a bit trying to figure out what to do. Shot some rocks. Shot some more rocks. Shot a plant. Shot a plant on a rock. Walked too far and ran out of power. Deleted game and sent back for a refund.

That was by far the worst game I've attempted to play this gen. Quite literally painful. 'My face is tired'....
There are thousands of games like this. You just bought what u didnt want to play. Its the most casual survival sim. Other games would have killed u much before and more brutally.
this isnt the game's fault. IMO, this is just buyers wanting an action game while buying NMS , which I dont get why. its exactly like buying Persona 5 and finding it shit because you wanted an ARPG while it asks u to attend school and talk to ppl and sleep or any other example.

Yes, NMS is not an action game. No updates have aimed to make it so either.

I think BoardBonobo's complaint isn't the lack of action, but the lack of clarity in direction. He doesn't know what to do. Getting killed within moments of starting a game is by-and-large a great turn-off, but he gave it a second chance. The key issue here is, "wandered around for a bit trying to figure out what to do." He had no idea how the game actually works, so is not able to stop himself dying. Similar to my experience with The Tomorrow Children where it was so unexplained that I had very little agency in the game.

That does go quite a bit against my seeing the game when it was first released, though. A friend had it Day 1 and it was fairly straightforward that there were resources obtained from the plants and rocks, and lots of pointers on what to do within the planet. There was enough air to get to the first outpost. I'd be interested to learn if BoardBonobo missed an in-game communication? There seems to be a change in human intelligence happening as software becomes more and more transparent in use that we are starting to expect everything to work exactly how we assume it does and don't process instructional info as well as we used to. Cues and pointers are more likely to get overlooked these days, I think, as players do their own thing and expect the game to work, thereby negating the need to pay attention to instruction.

I built that Mars Rover thingy. Question is: what exactly is the point of the thing? It's slower than the ship, it eats a ton of resources, it has little storage space, and you cannot even bring it with you when you go off planet (why would they not allow me to do that for heaven's sake?) . It does really sum up how bafflingly pointless most of what you do in this game is, though.

I think BoardBonobo's complaint isn't the lack of action, but the lack of clarity in direction. He doesn't know what to do. Getting killed within moments of starting a game is by-and-large a great turn-off, but he gave it a second chance. The key issue here is, "wandered around for a bit trying to figure out what to do." He had no idea how the game actually works, so is not able to stop himself dying. Similar to my experience with The Tomorrow Children where it was so unexplained that I had very little agency in the game.

That does go quite a bit against my seeing the game when it was first released, though. A friend had it Day 1 and it was fairly straightforward that there were resources obtained from the plants and rocks, and lots of pointers on what to do within the planet. There was enough air to get to the first outpost. I'd be interested to learn if BoardBonobo missed an in-game communication? There seems to be a change in human intelligence happening as software becomes more and more transparent in use that we are starting to expect everything to work exactly how we assume it does and don't process instructional info as well as we used to. Cues and pointers are more likely to get overlooked these days, I think, as players do their own thing and expect the game to work, thereby negating the need to pay attention to instruction.

Like u say the game tells u everything that needs to be done that is why I thought its more of the game not being what someone wanted rather than game being at fault at not telling you. He was "shooting rocks and plants" so I guess he knew thats what the game is. I could be wrong, of course maybe I generalised him into the crowd which has left the game for genre reasons. To me his post sounded like that.

I still havent been able to get ample time with it after the update, but I don't see any removal of tutes. I did play for 20 mins after the update and the tutes were there all the time as before. The space GTA expectation has never left the internet even after a year.

I built that Mars Rover thingy. Question is: what exactly is the point of the thing? It's slower than the ship, it eats a ton of resources, it has little storage space, and you cannot even bring it with you when you go off planet (why would they not allow me to do that for heaven's sake?) . It does really sum up how bafflingly pointless most of what you do in this game is, though.
The game's explaination seems to be that there are minerals u can mine only with that and not with Ur regular Omni tool. So it's a more powerful tool with an extra inventory and u can fight off bigger sentinels with it. It's an upgraded multi tool not an upgraded ship from what I played.
And yea not having it on any other planet except Ur base is underwhelming no doubt. It shows that it was added later as minerals that u mine with it show up only on planets that can have bases. Although it did mean I explored a ton more of my home base planet.

Man the update really threw "my game" in a jeopardy. Here I was building up my base teleporting around space to get it up and running and now suddenly my base is on a frigid cold planet I can't survive for long in :(
Don't want to redo it all. Can continue my journey towards atlas but I was enjoying setting up my base which I had delayed for the longest time. :(

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Sort of. Their ARG has started up again and seems to reference version 1.5 of the game. The last update was 1.3 so they've probably skipped the release of an iteration.

No idea what's likely to come, but hopefully it will be multiplayer and VR.

Back