Pricing Discussions around AMD VEGA *over-flow*

I guess AMD is the definite instance in terms of AMDs packs, right?
Well I don't know what's going on, it's terribly confusing as a consumer. What Newegg and Amazon have for sale doesn't match up to what AMD's original packages were nor match that PDF. There are packs available with motherboards and monitors etc, but according to that PDF if I bought a black pack, I should also be eligible for motherboard or Ryzen CPU discount, which I'm not.

Well I don't know what's going on, it's terribly confusing as a consumer. What Newegg and Amazon have for sale doesn't match up to what AMD's original packages were nor match that PDF. There are packs available with motherboards and monitors etc, but according to that PDF if I bought a black pack, I should also be eligible for motherboard or Ryzen CPU discount, which I'm not.

All the packs I'm seeing on Newegg already include discounts of $100, $200 or $300.

Are the yields so bad, that AMD is unable to make enough cards?
More fab capacity than yields. If that BoA analyst report was accurate and AMD is 40-50% of consumer CPUs currently selling from 11%, they're making Zens as fast as they can. Easy decision for the person deciding to make $500 200mm2 or 484mm2 chips with a supply constraint.

BTW, the "We're doing this because miners" is BS from AMD and they know it. The perf/power draw is bad, nobody want that for efficient mining. They're doing it because they have hard time making money with a "low" 499 price. It's a card which cost a lot to make, and is all in all is a let down. They're screwed right now.
Yet they are selling everything they produce at the inflated prices as soon as they hit shelves. There's no evidence the cards cost significantly more to where they aren't competitive. It's simple economics dictating prices and AMD should cash in. It sucks for gamers, but if the fab capacity isn't there only so much to be done. As for mining, I'd withholding judgement until someone optimized the algorithm for Vega and properly tunes one. The large firms would have done this and their results are undoubtedly above the public tools.

Yeah, all teh moneyz to AMD. If they can find enough people buying at the respective price points: Great for them.
Personally, I apply the same mechanics like for games: Wait for the first patch (or couple of patches) and until it's on sale.

Vega56 without any strings attached with a leading 3 in a three-digit-price (you have to be careful now I guess), and it's within my range.

Vega56 without any strings attached with a leading 3 in a three-digit-price (you have to be careful now I guess), and it's within my range.
Agreed, this is what will be ideal. I'll be waiting for AIB versions though, with the slightly higher price tag but much better designs.

Common, Totten, the slide says "2 FREE GAMES"
You mean the slide that says "Introducing Radeon Packs" in capital letters as its title, meaning anyone capable of reading titles should be able to understand the free games refer to the Packs mentioned in the previous slide and not the standalone cards?

BTW, the "We're doing this because miners" is BS from AMD and they know it. The perf/power draw is bad, nobody want that for efficient mining. They're doing it because they have hard time making money with a "low" 499 price. It's a card which cost a lot to make, and is all in all is a let down. They're screwed right now.
Yeah the cards and the packs deals are all so bad they're sitting in the shelves and no one is buying them.
Oh wait no, the exact opposite is happening.
:runaway:

Typical bait and switch scam ....
It's not.
AMD has issued official statement
Radeon RX Vega 64 demand continues to exceed expectations. AMD is working closely with its partners to address this demand. Our initial launch quantities included standalone Radeon RX Vega 64 at SEP of $499, Radeon RX Vega 64 Black Packs at SEP of $599, and Radeon RX Vega 64 Aqua Packs at SEP of $699. We are working with our partners to restock all SKUs of Radeon RX Vega 64 including the standalone cards and Gamer Packs over the next few weeks, and you should expect quantities of Vega to start arriving in the coming days.
They clearly state price of each SKU and that they're working all SKUs back in stock

Yeah the cards and the packs deals are all so bad they're sitting in the shelves and no one is buying them.

And it not due to miners( or they are stupid). And every "new" thing sell. Here in France it's out of stock a lot, but they received very few cards, so, yeaaahhhh they're out, but they had like 10.

Great! I hope there's not some hidden meaning in the missing connectin between mentioning past SEPs and future re-stocks.

It's not.
AMD has issued official statement

They clearly state price of each SKU and that they're working all SKUs back in stock
Thank you, but my advice is don't even bother replying. He's been pursuing that rhetoric even before the cards went for sale.
Right now it's just short bursts of flamebait and little else.

And it not due to miners( or they are stupid). And every "new" thing sell. Here in France it's out of stock a lot, but they received very few cards, so, yeaaahhhh they're out, but they had like 10.
Do you have any little shred of evidence about France getting "like 10" cards?
The only retailer mentioning speed of sales is OCUK claiming 1000 units sold in 15 minutes.

Gibbo said:
The Powercolor card is the shining star here, we have 1000 units, they are limited to 1pc per customer. The bad news is, if you order now NO FREE game, but if you want until next week (Tues/Wed) they shall be bundled with a truly legendary new games be released soon. The gamble is, do you wait and risk them all selling, the choice is yours!
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31074441
Posted this morning, so may be some changes to the game bundles next week. I'm guessing the game bundle, Wolfenstein/SE4 and Prey, is standard now. Unclear if that's 1000 Vegas or 580s as the post listed both.

We've seen this ALL before. I mean, you can search/replace "Fury" with "Vega" and 2015 with 2017 and not miss a beat:

AMD’s Radeon R9 Fury X All Sold Out On First Day Of Launch – Online Retailers in Restocking Phase

Shortages of AMD Radeon R9 Fury-series graphics cards persist

As far as Vega pricing, things will sort themselves out. Even if AMD never restocks the $500 SKU, it's not like anyone is forced to pay $600 at gunpoint for the card if they don't want to. If someone read the reviews and decided that a card at $500 price point was attractive but now can't find it at that price, it doesn't really help AMD. Whether they re-evaluate their purchasing decision and justify the addition of the two games at higher price, elect to wait and see whether $500 cards ever show up again or go with a competitor product, it's not like anyone ordered the card for $499 and is now being billed an additional $100. At most AMD is guilty of somewhat muddled messaging regarding the pricing, which when it comes to this launch is par the course.

In a website like LDLC or "materiel.net", the day RX Vega 64 launched, Sapphire and MSI "reference" cards were all "under 10" in stock, before being out of stock. OCUK claimed 70-100mh/s for Vega too. I don't believe they had 1000 units day 1. But that's just me.

Back