NPD July 2017 Sales Results leaked

No. If hardware is top 3 then shouldn't software be top 3 or should we assume that the software figures are attached to the hardware figures and not representative of the top 3? If so, maybe its better not to separate them into two different lists.

Everything will clearer tomorrow.

Nintendo switch is available at best buy online, all gamestop has them in store, so does target. seems like the stock situation is resolved.
And only selling ~200k a month? Seems not to be another Wii just yet..
Stock situation hasn't been resolved until Nintendo can consistently restock the shelves. NSW is still supply constrained, just to a lesser degree. This is not the baseline.

While it will not have Wii success, I must say that it is performing far better than I expected. I thought the price was too high for what it is, but I think the handheld/casual market and fairly strong first-party software are carrying it.

Stock situation hasn't been resolved until Nintendo can consistently restock the shelves. NSW is still supply constrained, just to a lesser degree. This is not the baseline.

While it will not have Wii success, I must say that it is performing far better than I expected. I thought the price was too high for what it is, but I think the handheld/casual market and fairly strong first-party software are carrying it.

I expect stock issues to be resolved 100% very soon, scalpers always have stock, and are selling for very little profit 360-375 plus they have to pay for shipping, plus fees.

It's Nintendo next handheld and home console, launching with a huge zelda title, then followed up by Nintendo strongest franchise mario kart. I think it should have been expected for it to start with strong sales.

Yeah. Before it came out I said I thought it would do maybe 2X Wii U sales in general. Now it looks like it will do well better than that.

What happened?

Tomorrow (today as I type this) is the more official and public NPD data release.

Although I'm not sure what it'll clear up (other than a bunch of software rankings with no numbers). We shouldn't get the Xbox number until the Neogaf prediction results are posted, which might be a bit.

Or maybe he meant the leaker will have access to a lot more data to presumably leak, today? Maybe only the top 3 hardware is given to subs by NPD the week prior to the "big" release?

Last edited:
https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/17/july-2017-npd-splatoon-2-paints-a-pretty-picture-for-nintendo/

Here are the numbers for July 2017:
  • Total: $588 million (up 19 percent from $496 million in July 2016)
  • Hardware: $182 million (up 29 percent from $142 million)
  • Console software: $263 million (up 17 percent from $224 million)
  • PC software: $14 million (up 14 percent from $12 million)
  • Accessories: $129 million (up 9 percent from $118 million)

Software (Overall)
  1. Splatoon 2*
  2. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  6. Injustice 2
  7. Mario Kart 8*
  8. Overwatch**
  9. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  10. NBA 2K17
  11. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  12. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
  13. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  14. Minecraft
  15. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  16. MLB 17: The Show
  17. ARMS*
  18. Battlefield 1
  19. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  20. Tekken 7
* No digital sales
** No Battle.net sales

Whats your zip code?

I want a Switch but not that badly. I don't give out my zip code anymore to anyone due to a run-in I had with someone years ago that resulted in court appearances and them being put under a restraining order. Don't think anyone on this forum would do anything similar, but I just don't take chances with that sort of info anymore.

Thanks for the offer though.

Nintendo is doing quite well considering how small the install base is for the Switch relative to the PS4 and XBO. For 2017, Zelda is beating HZD for best single platform title (sales). For past 12 months sales, Zelda is the only single platform game in the top 10.

As well, 3 of the top 10 are single platform Nintendo titles and thus Nintendo continue to be the best selling software publisher.

Interesting contrast here.

The Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 made up the bulk of hardware sales in July.

But.

“Accessories for the Nintendo Switch and Microsoft’s Xbox One drove spending growth. Gamepads were the top-selling accessory types for both platforms,”

So, the XBO isn't selling a lot of consoles but they are selling a lot of accessories. I guess the customized controllers?

Regards,
SB

So, the XBO isn't selling a lot of consoles but they are selling a lot of accessories. I guess the customized controllers?

XBO might not have done SO bad, Mat Piscattella on GAF basically debunked the "Xbox not in top 3". Or more precisely he said no handheld is in the top 3. Still something like 130k wouldn't be surprising.

XBO might not have done SO bad, Mat Piscattella on GAF basically debunked the "Xbox not in top 3". Or more precisely he said no handheld is in the top 3. Still something like 130k wouldn't be surprising.

yup thats what i meant by more clear.

Zelda isnt single platform, its available on WiiU and Switch so its multiplatform. Are we certain they're only comparing Switch Zelda sales to PS4 HZD sales?

I went to Japan last month and it's very difficult to find a Switch. Many stores only sell Switch through a drawing lot, you have to get a ticket at a certain time (which only happens every one or two weeks...), then only about 10% of these tickets can actually buy the console.
On the other hand, my friends and I decided to go buy a Switch in Taiwan (we actually got one each, so that's four). There's no official releases in Taiwan yet, so all are imported individually from either Japan or Hong Kong. The price is not too bad (~US$390), cheaper than the scalpers selling on Amazon Japan.
So interestingly it looks like the situation is much better in the US than in Japan. Maybe Nintendo sent more to the US instead?

So interestingly it looks like the situation is much better in the US than in Japan. Maybe Nintendo sent more to the US instead?

I think its simply a case of lower demand here in the US compared to Japan. Nintendo is trying to manage their inventory appropriately. The recent "restock" seems to have brought supply up to demand here in the US. You are still unlikely to see a retailer with stacks of Switch units for sales, but going to places like Best Buy and Walmart are now likely to have a unit or two available. August NPD will make actual sustained demand in the US more clear. In Japan the demand is a lot higher, and it only grows with each new release. Monster Hunter XX is going to further exasperate the situation, and when Dragon Quest XI releases on Switch it will bring another big boost. Lets now forget Mario Odyssey and his universal appeal. Releasing ahead of the Christmas holiday was smart, this makes sure Mario doesn't cannibalize sales for competing software. This leaves the door open for Xenoblade 2 to find good success.

Switch is doing far better in its first 6 months on sale in Japan than the PS4 managed. It is over a 2 to 1 advantage, and PS4 wasn't supply limited like Switch is. There is no reason the Switch cant do at least as well as the 3DS in Japan, and possibly as well as the DS. In other territories it just isn't likely to see that type of success. The portability factor is huge in Japan, and the biggest franchises in Japan aren't relying on visuals for their appeal. Japan is a very unique market, and Nintendo is going to do very well there. Matching the 3DS lifetime sales is what I am expecting for Switch. This is sustainable for Nintendo because they are making good income from mobile and licensing their IP's like they are doing with Universal Studios. Margins on software are also improving with the more and more games being sold digitally. Nintendo would be wise to increase internal storage to something like 128GB to help nudge consumers towards buying more games digitally.

Oh, I missed that the Xbox One number was calculated from Neogaf prediction results a few days ago

Xbox One Sold between 119k and 127k if someone is interested in that number.

Maybe take the midpoint and call it 123k.

Last edited:
Back