Pricing Discussions around AMD VEGA *over-flow*

pharma

Legend
The 56 is $400 when it releases later this month. The 64 was $500 before selling out and that would put it $40 cheaper than the geforce 1080 on amazon

The MSR prices for the standalone Vega 56 and 64 Black (as we reviewed them) are 399 and 499 USD repectively, as AMD let the media know these prices. Both cards can be spotted and advertised (if you can find them at all) for 499 and 599 with the 56 being a preorder and the physically 64 available. However that 100 bucks extra, here's the thing these would be the bundled versions with Prey and the to be released Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. So, if the cards are physical available then the question rised, was the stock for non-bundled Vega kept low deliberately ?

Currently, where I reside in the Benelux, cards are simply not even available. All in all we are rather confused about this launch, and the prices are a bit of a mess with all these confusing bundles and low availability of the standalone cards. Currently prices are way higher compared to the GeForce GTX 1070 and 1080.

Long story short, if you are in the market for a Vega 64, you'll be spending at least a 100 USD/EURO more opposed to the introductory prices.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ra...-of-stock-and-a-100-bucks-more-expensive.html

DF finds that clocking the 56 ram up to the same speed as the 64 gives you 5% performance. Overclocking both core and memory will get you similar performance across the board against the 1080 .

Plenty of people got them for msrp when bought on launch day. They sold out and now those who have some left want a premium its not any diffrent than any other launch in history. The 56 isn't out yet and when it is , it will sell for $400 until sold out . When more come in I except the price of the 64 to go back down just like the other launches.

Plenty of people got them for msrp when bought on launch day. They sold out and now those who have some left want a premium its not any diffrent than any other launch in history.

See the story at Kitguru. Confirmed from two retailers now that AMD rebated a fixed number of cards at each retailer for $100 each in order to keep the day 1 launch price at $499. The implication is that AMD wanted their cards reviewed and compared at the lower price point, but with the intention of selling them at the higher price point.

KitGuru story on prices ....

So what exactly is going on with Vega’s pricing? We got in touch with Andrew Gibson at Overclockers UK who gave us the full breakdown:

“Launch price was $499 with NO games for the Black card, as outlined to us by AMD as a launch only price. AMD allowed us to sell a set amount at this price, which was several hundred, clearly not enough as they were sold out in approximately 15 minutes. After this the regular price was $599 with FREE games for both the black and silver cards, $699 for the aqua card plus taxes.”

Gibson’s claims are corroborated by an additional source too, as Norwegian tech retailer, komplett.no, also spoke out, telling the site tek.no that the cheaper launch price for RX Vega64 was limited to just 275 cards to allow it to appear more favourable at launch.
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...-gibson-clears-up-rx-vega64-pricing-disaster/

When you think the perfs were bad enough for AMD, they double down with prices tactics.
Incredible launch. nVidia must be laughing so hard right now. The team working on the volta gaming version must have had a free month vaccation from the boss. "Go home fella's, we don't need you right now"

I know that's not really the point but I wonder who these people are that buy cards within 15 minutes of their launch. That's an awfully short time to read reviews and make a decision.

See the story at Kitguru. Confirmed from two retailers now that AMD rebated a fixed number of cards at each retailer for $100 each in order to keep the day 1 launch price at $499. The implication is that AMD wanted their cards reviewed and compared at the lower price point, but with the intention of selling them at the higher price point.
Did they really expect that this wouldn't somehow end up in the press? What did they gain by doing this? 3 days of ok-ish press for Vega in return for some (imagery) moral high ground?

There has to be more to the story than this. They can't be this stupid.

Isn't that false advertising? Also As much As I like AMD I won't recommended anyone to spend 700 dollars or 600 dollars in VEGA cards, at those prices Nvidia's wins clearly.

Did they really expect that this wouldn't somehow end up in the press? What did they gain by doing this? 3 days of ok-ish press for Vega in return for some (imagery) moral high ground?

There has to be more to the story than this. They can't be this stupid.

You could also wonder as to what there was to gain by the staging an protracted international taste-test carnival show while giving the actual reviewers 3 days to work with the cards, but yet here we are.

I know that's not really the point but I wonder who these people are that buy cards within 15 minutes of their launch. That's an awfully short time to read reviews and make a decision.
I guess the rough performance was known, if you have a freesync monitor and don't game 24/7 making the power consumption a major factor, it only takes a couple of minutes to look at a few graphs. I came really close to clicking on "Proceed to Checkout", but in the end the noise and power consumption put me off, however would it have been the only GPU in my system and I wasn't playing with mining I would have bought one.

I was on the fence of waking up at 6am to grab one asap. Just for compute experiments... (ROCm/hip/...) And then I remembered that it would end up like all these kickstarter HW gizmos (Arduinos, Raspberry Pi clones etc) sitting unused in a box, but much more expensive.

never heard of them , i will have to see how it plays out over the next few weeks

The initial $499 stock was without any bundles, the $599 ones have 2 games bundled
And the standalone version was limited - curiously not the limited edition, which seems rather unlimited right now.
I just hope Vega 56 will be launch normally.

The version with the games is a bundle. Just like the version with the CPU and monitor.

The games were never presented as an offering, they were presented as a $120 value in the $600 black pack with either the normal or limited editions of the Vega 64.

ZfjqmN9.png

4TMr9q9.png

AMD was very explicit over a month ago that this was the way they were using to try to get some cards in the hands of gamers instead of miners.
They said in interviews that at least during launch non-bundle cards would be sold in limited quantities because those would probably get gobbled up by miners.

Of course, I could post interviews and links of decent techsites explaining this and these slides a thousand times over that right afterwards there would be someone posting a hitpiece like that kitguru one and then the mob would naturally have to follow with the "OMG, AMD is so evil" speech.

Yes, bad naughty AMD for figuring out ways to get cards to people who legitimately want to play games by selling them in bundles with monitors, CPUs and games that miners don't want.

The version with the games is a bundle. Just like the version with the CPU and monitor.

The games were never presented as an offering, they were presented as a $120 value in the $600 black pack with either the normal or limited editions of the Vega 64.
Sorry but that's wrong. There are many entries on Newegg for the cards outside of bundles that come with "free" games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-150-808

I'm not sure about other countries, but isn't it illegal for manufacturers to tell retailers what price to sell their product for? Once the retailer buys it from AMD, the price of what the retailer charges is completely out of their hands by law.

What is this Gibbons guy going on about?!?

Back