The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

It's a SyFy series so if you have access to SyFy you should have it. It's really the only intelligent Scifi in years IMHO. I started it after re-watching BSG2k9 and it's better. No FTL no aliens but complex politics and much more in the solar system. There is starting to be extra-stellar aspects. Would make for excellent binge watching.
The Expanse is amazing. Hard sci-fi done right. Plus the original Punisher Tom Jane is in it!

I love how they pay attention to detail wrt the physics and nature of Outer Space. Comm lag due to lightspeed limit, realistic travel times and distances, accelerate at 1G to simulate gravity etc. It all seems very believable. The show even answered a question I had from the book:
When Miller and company were setting us up the bomb on the surface of Eros, I always wondered how they could stand on Eros given it was spinning around quite rapidly (they would be flung off right?). In the show we see that there are inverted catwalks all across the surface of Eros that they can walk around on. Very cool!

The books kick ass as well, actually that's how I found out about the show. First one is called Leviathan Wakes. There are 6 novels out already.

Legit Spoiler:
Also the "no aliens" claim isn't strictly true. In the books they make it abundantly clear that the Protomolecule is of extra-terrestrial origin. But yea there are no Klingons or any other retarded shit like that.

Last edited:
10 million per episode now. 80 shots with the dragon, lotsa CGI crowds... nice stuff. They also work with the movie VFX houses now, Scanline, Rythm&Hues etc.

Started watching The Night Manager on Amazon Video. Really enjoying it too. I'm only 3 episodes in, but so far it's a rather standard operative-goes-undercover story. What makes it shine are the terrific performances by Hugh Laurie as an international arms dealer, Tom Hiddleston as the operative, and especially a menacing little British feller who's Hugh Laurie's right hand. No idea who the guy is, but he's awesome. It's based on a John Le Carre novel, so the whole spy shit seems pretty authentic too.

10 million per episode now. 80 shots with the dragon, lotsa CGI crowds... nice stuff. They also work with the movie VFX houses now, Scanline, Rythm&Hues etc.

Maybe that's one reason why they have fewer episodes this season and next, though HBO supposedly wanted them to do more eps. or seasons.

The pace in Game of Thrones has been ridiculously fast this season compared to previous seasons. I feel like I am watching a different show altogether.

I am 5 episodes in now in Twin Peaks 2017. I'm liking so far, but probably not a show for everyone. It is somewhat trippy in many ways: The events, general vibes, to see most of the old cast in the same jobs they were 25 years ago and I visited some of those locations 2 years ago :).

The dragon was bloody useless in the pitched battle, however. A nice, long row of armed men facing the dothraki and it attacked face on to break the line rather than just plying parallel to incinerate all of the army!

I'm in agreement that this series is going very quickly indeed. People zipping up and down Westeros from episode to episode with little nuance in the plotting now. I'd imagine if Martin had actually finished the books, they could have eked two series out of all the events which are obviously going to be crammed into this one.

I kinda like that! People don't want to have to go through 5 months, 20 odd episodes, to see the end of the season. What bugs me is that I only just realised that there's only 2 episodes left in this season, and apparently no new season until 2019, which will kill me.

The dragon was bloody useless in the pitched battle, however. A nice, long row of armed men facing the dothraki and it attacked face on to break the line rather than just plying parallel to incinerate all of the army!
I'd imagine the Dothraki would have been quite pissed if their queen didn't give them a chance to spill some blood. She did after all drag them across an ocean they'd never been on (nomad horsemen tribe, hate the idea of boats) and promised many enemies to slaughter and pillage.

I'm in agreement that this series is going very quickly indeed. People zipping up and down Westeros from episode to episode with little nuance in the plotting now. I'd imagine if Martin had actually finished the books, they could have eked two series out of all the events which are obviously going to be crammed into this one.

I kinda like that! People don't want to have to go through 5 months, 20 odd episodes, to see the end of the season. What bugs me is that I only just realised that there's only 2 episodes left in this season, and apparently no new season until 2019, which will kill me.

Well some people were complaining in previous seasons about it taking too long. Dany was building up to invade for several seasons after all.

Now they're beyond the books and I think the show runners, who've probably made a ton of money, probably just want to wrap it up and move on to something else, which has caused its own controversy.

It is a huge undertaking though, as they're moving crew and cast all over Europe for months at a time. So there's probably a big burnout factor.

After some time thinking about it, I am still really loving it and it is totally rewatcheable. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I like that Game of Thrones picks up the pace. There has been a sense of people not realizing what they are up against being to busy with their personal fates and gain for a long time - better said, Winter has been coming for a long time ;) and the urgency of time running out is powerful.

Lol I forgot the actual title of the show I was recommending: Sense8!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just wait until Sunday to watch on my big screen with surround sound.

No need to watch some transcoded rip.

I haven't watched The Simpsons in probably 15-20 years. Which is just crazy that I can say that and it's still going.

Back