Not receiving the 2-step authentication code through email

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

Hey,
The forum isn't sending me the authentication code to my email address. I'm slowly going out of places from where I can log in because of that (right now I can only log in through my cellphone).

Is this a general problem or is it only happening with me?

In the meanwhile I regained my sanity and simply disabled the 2-step process so I could type from something other than the onscreen keyboard in my smartphone..
But the problem of not sending the codes might be widespread.

You should really have an authenticator app generate the 2FA tokens for you, rather than email. That said, you should get them. I'll take a look.

I recommend Google Authenticator, I use that for all my 2FA needs on various sites.

Some friends have indeed recommended that to me, but I keep getting to the same humble+lazy conclusion of "meh, I'm not nearly important enough to worry about this" in my head..
I guess I should really take a look regardless.

Thanks!

Looks like I've broken email sending entirely recently with some mailserver configuration changes. Investigating...

I think I've fixed it. I'd tightened up security on the mailserver that I send all mail through, and XF's mail sending library had no good way to negotiate a secure connection with it. I've added support for TLSv1.2 in the XF code and test emails are going though.

I'll try and upstream the patch into Zend_Mail as well and be a good citizen.

Back