AMD Vega Hardware Reviews

bit disrespectful as well. It's only one more day....
I agree, so I won't go into anything specific.
I take it they are in line with what we are expecting? 1070 ~ RX56 : 1080 ~ RX64 : 1080+ ~ RX Water?
Well, the guide admits several losses to the 1080FE, though some games are benched at less than max settings to minimze the loss. While the wins are slightly larger with the use of some DX12 titles.

I don't think AMD would exaggerate something like this without good reason.
It's exaggerated if you exclude CPU overclocking. But if you overclock some of the recent CPUs (Skylake X, Threadripper), then it's not exaggerated.

Threadripper. System consumption without the GPU could be upwards of 500W overclocked and not account for crap PSUs. Unless the reviews show Vega at a whopping 700W it won't be a problem.

1000W is a precaution for people who still buy crap PSU and this in combination with a power hungry CPU and a lot of other devices (i.e. HDD, SSD, and so on).
They tweeted that a good (brand) 650W PSU is enough.
Of course if you plan to overclock both CPU and GPU then it's another matter.

I'm still running 2x GTX 680 (in spite of having a pile of 1070s) so replacing those two with either a 1080 or a Vega shouldn't be a problem...other than the hassle of modifying my water loop :(

There is a good reason. They have to account for very shitty chinese PSUs.

Anyhow, here are the first leaked test results. Everything is as we expected it to be, Vega56 is a bit better than 1070, and Vega64 is a bit better than 1080 [and suprisingly it can come close to 1080Ti FE with a lot of overclocking].
hzlpNJN.jpg

Vega56 looks to be a winrar [if the prices hold near MSRP].

wow a real mixed bag sometimes its barely faster than a fury x and soetimes its faster than a 1080 ti fe
It's never faster than a 1080Ti, the only time it gets close is in BF1 DX12, and that's because all NV GPUs have bad performance in that mode to begin with, AMD cards have inconsistent performance as well in this title, so virtually no one plays the game @DX12.

In most games you will see that Vega 64 liquid is barely above 1080FE, if not downright equal.

Last edited:
Back