"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Ok thanks!
Im still searching for Polygon count of Noctis (Final Fantasy XV) and Cloud (FF7) or Squall (FF8).

Would be great if someone can help, because I want to publish my article as soon as possible.

Wu9S1Yv.png

I actually had hoped Senua would sport a far greater poly count than 120 kish since it's 90% of time displaying only her model, it's the typical number for one character model in The Order while the latter manages to have at least 4-5 of model that quality at once at many instances. I guess if NT had more budget they could've done better.

I actually had hoped Senua would sport a far greater poly count than 120 kish since it's 90% of time displaying only her model, it's the typical number for one character model in The Order while the latter manages to have at least 4-5 of model that quality at once at many instances. I guess if NT had more budget they could've done better.
It's just the numbers, you don't like, or that these numbers truly mean visible polygon edges while you play?

But The Order models look like rubbish compared to her model.

And what would have been the point of that? The model is pretty much perfectly smooth as it is.

This is pretty much the standard for AA game characters nowadays, in terms of polygon count and how it's distributed - just look at how the face is almost solid even in this wireframe render.

Also note how in close up pictures, particularly at 4K, the face is almost completely smooth and all the skin and facepaint detail is just in the normals. As dense the mesh is, it's still not dense enough for the full geometry complexity.

Out of curiosity, since I am part of developing a new game and I was wondering about the polygon counts we should be aiming.

Do we have information about the polycounts of the ships in Wipeout HD or the Omega Collection or any other similar game?

I ve been looking all over the internet and I couldnt find anything

Kinda depends on your platform & complexity of the renderer & target, environment budget etc.
Well we are aiming something along the lines of Wipeout, so we can achieve a constant smooth performance with similar fidelity, without the need of top of the line hardware. But I am looking for poly count references so I can get an idea of the headroom. It is still in the planning stage so indicators could be very helpful

hmm... I don't suppose there's data for Fast Racing Neo.

Do wonder about lower precision verts too. Not sure if they did that for Wipeout on PS3.

Last edited:
hmm... I don't suppose there's data for Fast Racing Neo.

Do wonder about lower precision verts too. Not sure if they did that for Wipeout on PS3.
I ll dig around a little bit more and hopefully I ll find something.

But I have another question. Is there anywhere information about various hardware that devs use to roughly estimate how much room they have in terms of performance budget?
At first I was thinking if 30K polygons per "ship" would be ok. But if you have 10-12 on screen at 60fps that's 18-22 million polygons per frame just for those, then you ve got the environments, maps, effects etc that would eat up resources. And I am not sure how well that would scale down to lower specced hardware and which should be the lowest targeted spec to aim that will not affect the quality of the project.

Back