Your top five games that everyone loved but you were "meh" or "WTF is this $h*#. (overrated)

dobwal

Legend
Every Halo (didn't play ODST) but Reach was pretty average to me. I like the gameplay but the story and mission design were mostly underwhelming in my opinion. However I was really immersed by Reach's storyline and it solemn and grim undertone with an inevitable outcome that only the player is aware. I know people love the multiplayer but in those days I was more into the rainbow6, deltaforce and early battlefield titles on the PC. My multiplayer addiction reached its zenith with JO:Typhoon Rising and playing advance and secure with 150 players on the map.

Loved Witcher 3 but couldn't get past 3 hours of gameplay with either 1 or 2. I just sort of put them down and simply forgot about them.

The same with Baldurs gate. I loved neverwinter nights 1&2 and Icewind Dale on the PC and later bought BG on the console. My thoughts at the time was that the console port was compromised in some fashion because I felt the game was lacking and stop playing mid game.

Minecraft...I spent my whole time with this game wishing for better build mechanics. "Why can't I build a 2X4 and then dupe it instead of building one block at a time!!!"

Mass Effect 2.
It was the first and only ME game I attempted.
I played for 3+ hours and never experienced anything that I would consider fun.
Rage-uninstalled.

Certainly Halo ODST, Halo4 and from what I saw of the first few hours of Halo 5. Halo 3 was the start of the decline I think.

I never saw the appeal of most Nintendo franchises. I know some have good mechanics, but the lack of stories, the dumb lore and horrible kiddie characters always threw me off. I did not grow up with them, so I have no nostalgia.

I was pretty "meh" about the Uncharted games I played on PS3. Haven't played UC4 yet, although I assume it's much of the same. Seems to be the case of an average game with a shit load of money chucked at it. As a counterpoint, I found The Last Of Us far, far better.

I'll now don my flame-proof clothing and mention Ico and SoC as being pretty "meh" as well. Still plan on giving The Last Guardian a go though.

I was pretty "meh" about the Uncharted games I played on PS3. Haven't played UC4 yet, although I assume it's much of the same. Seems to be the case of an average game with a shit load of money chucked at it. As a counterpoint, I found The Last Of Us far, far better.

I'll now don my flame-proof clothing and mention Ico and SoC as being pretty "meh" as well. Still plan on giving The Last Guardian a go though.

Hey mods, how do I report spam?

Half Life 2. The whole thing felt derivative, cliched, and really just not all that fun. Never once did anything about the game surprise me.

Mind you, I give full credit to Half Life 1, it was great and innovative.

Hmm, I dont just LOVE very many early 3D games. So for example, Mario 64, at the time, I didn't just love.

I cant say Deus Ex was bad or even not great, because I didn't play that much. Just that repeatedly tried to get into and it never "grabbed me".

Back then of course it was as much about cutting edge gfx as anything, and Deus Ex certainly had those for the time, as well as great dark atmosphere.

Probably edit some more in or just make another post as I think of them.

Not in any particular order:
Star Wars:Knights Of The Old Republic
Mass Effect games
(I think all Bioware RPG's I've tried fall in my meh category)
Inside
Dead Space
MInecraft
Witcher 3
Can't be bothered to list the reasons why they failed to impress, likely in some cases it has been just that I didn't put enough time to give them a chance.
These are just a few that spring to mind immediately.

Halo 3 and Reach. Never tried 4 or 5 so cant comment for those. But damn I enjoyed other sci fi FPS shooters a lot more and the latter games eitrher sold less or got worse reviews despite doing more or being more of the same.
COD!! I hated each one of them! What a pile of overrated crap. A mediocre, superficial series. The series' success makes no sense. There is no artistry, no depth, nothing. Same with Battlefield, Ghost Reckon, Raibow Six, Medal of Honor, etc. These bullshit games glorify war and they were literally interactive propaganda filled with idiotic stereotypes about arabs, russians, mexicans, germans etc. These games are dangerous for the uneducated and they should have been banned from the face of the earth.
World of Warcraft. and Pokemon games. These are addicting games whose success IMO rely a lot on smart design mechanisms that trigger similar addiction to gambling.
Any new Mortal Kombat game or any game that falls into that universe. If it wasnt for the tied franchises or the violence I am sure the series would have vanished.

Pretty much any Ubisoft game for me. There's just something about their games that doesn't click with me at all, be it Assassins Creed, Far Cry, etc

Halo 3 and Reach. Never tried 4 or 5 so cant comment for those. But damn I enjoyed other sci fi FPS shooters a lot more and the latter games eitrher sold less or got worse reviews despite doing more or being more of the same.
COD!! I hated each one of them! What a pile of overrated crap. A mediocre, superficial series. The series' success makes no sense. There is no artistry, no depth, nothing. Same with Battlefield, Ghost Reckon, Raibow Six, Medal of Honor, etc. These bullshit games glorify war and they were literally interactive propaganda filled with idiotic stereotypes about arabs, russians, mexicans, germans etc. These games are dangerous for the uneducated and they should have been banned from the face of the earth.
World of Warcraft. and Pokemon games. These are addicting games whose success IMO rely a lot on smart design mechanisms that trigger similar addiction to gambling.
Any new Mortal Kombat game or any game that falls into that universe. If it wasnt for the tied franchises or the violence I am sure the series would have vanished.
Oh....
Wow

Well I think if you're being critical as in the sense of a food critic I think you've nailed some good points. I think Roberta Williams at her prime described these types of games as dumb games, basically fulfilling teenage boy dreams. In which, compared to the other games back that which were getting increasingly more complex, these Doom
Type games (Hexen, rise of triads, etc) were getting huge traction; there is some truth to that. Some. I'll get into where the exception lies.

However, I think in some ways, rainbow six and world of Warcraft don't apply to that. R6 actually just let you draw path lines hit the run button. You didn't even need to play the game. You could be the mission planner and tell the crew mates where to run and look. It had FPS and this frozen synapse style game all in 1.

Now for WoW, I mean there wasn't much of a loot game there, because all the loot outside of raids are reknown to be garbage filler. Players fought to organize and coordinate and beat 40 Man raids which required a great deal of coordination, downloading mods, and commitment from players.

Many players for the first time were really understanding the need to min/max, to coordinate and follow orders, to know where to stand, and watch. And I think games like WoW, are the first time in which PVE folks really got a taste of what type of dedication and skills are required to operate as a functional unit (that you would find on an esports team).

Which leads me to the exception. Roberta Williams never understood or could see the rise of eSports. She could not see this level of gameplay elevated by competition and sport. So while the games were simplistic, at the competitive level it offers something completely different, it was no longer a game with a backstory or with political issues, it was just about how your team beats the other team.

And all these shooters that are simplistic and boring in Single Player had a completely different angle to work with at the competitive level. And it's extremely rewarding to compete, because most of the time when you compete you lose. But when you start to win, you feel like you really learned something.

That feeling, of getting better, being better, and moving further up level of competition is something no single player campaign can ever emulate.

I've seldom see people fist bumping, crying, getting upset and enraged over a single player campaign, but esports. All those emotions are real.

And so. That's the exception.

Persona 5: seriously WTF is this boring shit?
MGS V: played for the first 2 hours and hard quit, the game's totally lost its cinematic direction that I adored so much in MGS IV and now is just a barren open world with repetitive missions.
All the new Mario games: guess I grew out of that plumber.
Most of the MMOs and online only games: I'm single player to the core so sue me.

HORIZON ZERO DAWN
oooh! it looks beautiful!!! oof... its super boring and the NPCs are super robotic/canned (GTAIV's is much better)

Tekken 7
O_O it looks aged and hard to play

a bunch of PSVR games i forgot the title.

Red Dead Redemption : unresponsive controls and boring gameplay.
The new super mario bros games : The definition of formulaic games.
Mass effect (don't remember which one) : So meh, had to stop playing it
Tekken games : Never could see the appeal of those games (and I loved Street fighter 2 and Soul Calibur)

And I am personally sad to see a few citing MGS5 in this thread...This game is pure gameplay.

Pretty much any Ubisoft game for me. There's just something about their games that doesn't click with me at all, be it Assassins Creed, Far Cry, etc

These games, especially FC3-4, take a real time investment until you feel comfortable before they open up.

If you can't get over this initial hump you're just stumbling around and probably get frustrated.

Last edited:
Oh....
Wow

Well I think if you're being critical as in the sense of a food critic I think you've nailed some good points. I think Roberta Williams at her prime described these types of games as dumb games, basically fulfilling teenage boy dreams. In which, compared to the other games back that which were getting increasingly more complex, these Doom
Type games (Hexen, rise of triads, etc) were getting huge traction; there is some truth to that. Some. I'll get into where the exception lies.

I still consider Halo 1-3/ODST having one of the most satisfying/re-playable solo campaigns ever. These games had an AI which made every small encounter different and exciting on a micro dramaturgical level and is also a reason for Destiny's high re-playability which applies a lot of these concepts. Doom+CoD were always dumb games compared to past Halos. Halo4-5 didn't really have this "special" action dramaturgy.
----
How can Half-Life be overrated as a FPS in a historical context?

Unreal and Half-Life changed the FPS landscape vs. Doom/Quake/Heretic/Hexen games from a gunplay,mechanic, artistic and narration point of view.
---
About Bioshock
I really enjoyed its atmosphere but didn't enjoy the gameplay unfortunately. So in that sense I consider the game overrated too but wished it to be different.

I still consider Halo 1-3/ODST having one of the most satisfying/re-playable solo campaigns ever. These games had an AI which made every small encounter different and exciting on a micro dramaturgical level and is also a reason for Destiny's high re-playability which applies a lot of these concepts. Doom+CoD were always dumb games compared to past Halos. Halo4-5 didn't really have this "special" action dramaturgy.
----
How can Half-Life be overrated as a FPS in a historical context?

Unreal and Half-Life changed the FPS landscape vs. Doom/Quake/Heretic/Hexen games from a gunplay,mechanic, artistic and narration point of view.
---
About Bioshock
I really enjoyed its atmosphere but didn't enjoy the gameplay unfortunately. So in that sense I consider the game overrated too but wished it to be different.

I agree, as a guy who loves FPS I know where you are coming from. I try my best to see multiple perspectives, I get why FPS can be a polarizing genre, so much of it relies of dexterity, but at the same time really deep meta starts to emerge the more you play it.

And I agree with your points though I liked some of the dumb shooters. Doom in particular always encouraged this "exploration" aspect sorely missed in most FPS games.

Then again, they may have been a design decision of the times. If you knew the secrets and where they were that made you a better player lol.

Wolfenstein The New Order for me. Really enjoyed the first half of the game, but then it all went downhill really fast. Fighting bulletsponge enemies at long range is no fun when damage is dealt via hit scan mechanics. Really hated the surprising sparsity of ammunition as well.

Every Naughty Dog game from the point where their interests have shifted from ripping off other people's games to ripping off movies instead. I don't think they're bad. I just don't think they're all that great either.

Last edited:
Back