Honorable mentions:
Life Is Strange
Bioshock Infinite
Total Annihilation
GTA Vice City
Max Payne 1
Fallout New Vegas

What does that say, exactly?

That such limited list is meaningless because players have selective memory, a highly subjective measurement of greatness, a limited pool of games they played, "most" games' greatness is pretty much limited to the release window and because there are easily more than 5 "top" games by any standards.

Why I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Deus Ex 1 in specific is that a game with such depth, story and experience which people still talk about 17 years later should prove that point:)

That such limited list is meaningless because players have selective memory, a highly subjective measurement of greatness, a limited pool of games they played, "most" games' greatness is pretty much limited to the release window and because there are easily more than 5 "top" games by any standards.

Why I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Deus Ex 1 in specific is that a game with such depth, story and experience which people still talk about 17 years later should prove that point:)

Well, this thread is "your top 5 games", not "the 5 greatest games of all time", so this is just a thread for us to share our personal/subjective list of games which have most impacted us in a good way.

Everybody is free to post what they truly feel. And you're wrong on this thread not mentioning Deus Ex 1: you just did. ;-) And why did you do it? Because it's one of the greatest games to you (also, subjective).

I get your point, but we can't expect others to post the same games or one specific games. In such case, all of the posts here would be complaining about that, IMO, because everyone has their own list and there are differences or "omissions".

To each his taste, it just means Deus Ex wasn't played by many or they don't think of it as one of their TOP5 games...
I played it and I don't remember it as something special neither enjoyable.

You've really missed the topic! To reiterate, it's a personal list of ones own 'top' (not 'greatest') games. The games that one remembers most fondly or which had the most impact or whatever subjective weighting one affords. There's no way I could mention Deus Ex as I've never played it. I doubt you played Star Control 1.

The thing I find most surprising is some people saying they've possibly forgotten some games. I think if you've forgotten a game, it can't have been all that great. ;)

Kick Off 2 (Amiga)
Stuntcar Racer (Amiga)

Uncharted 2 (PS3)
Resistance 2, co-op was what I liked (PS3)

Destiny (PS4)

And to sneak in 6++++ the Games (Winter, Summer, California) series by Epyx on the C64.

And like shifty, most of these are couch co-op or online co-op.

I have no problem believing deus ex doesn't appear on this thread. I don't like deus ex, half life, half life 2 or many other highly praised games.

Half-Life (Original)
Unreal (Original)
Deus Ex (Original)
Borderlands (Original)
Red Dead Redemption

Missing the cut - C&C, Civ IV, Shogo

Been trying to avoid this cause it's really difficult to come up with only 5, but here goes my console only list in chronological order I played...

Guardian Legend (NES)
Halo 2 (Xbox)
Red Dead Redemption (360)
Borderlands (360)
Ori & the Blind Forest (XB1)

Honorable mentions:
River Raid (2600)
Gauntlet (NES)
GoldenEye (N64)
Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
Splinter Cell (Xbox)
Halo 3 & ODST (360)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (360)
Batman: Arkham City (360)
Bioshock (360)
Crackdown (360)
Gears of War (360)
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (XB1)

Tommy McClain

Star Control 2
System Shock 2
Mechwarrior 2/Mercenaries
Warcraft 3
Baldurs Gate 2

Honourable mentions:
Mass Effect 1 (360)
space quest 2/quest for glory/police quest 2
Monkey Island
World Of Warcraft
Counter Strike
Diablo 2
Dune 2
TIE Fighter
Descent free space 2
Soul Calibur 2 (XBOX)
Starcraft
Dark Reign
Super C (NES)
Mega Man 3 (NES)

When I get asked this question I often have a hard time deciding which games I'm most addicted to, and which games had the best game play, to which games I was most enthralled by.

Last edited:
DOAX
DOAX2
DOAX3
DOAX VR - it changed everything
Loom - one of the first games my brother introduced me to that wasn't on a yellow and black monitor.

MechWarrior 2 Mercs - Got me into Battletech novels + game was great. Dad bought it as a surprise
Dead Space - Twinkle Twinkle little star.
Halo CE - the game where I started drinking with buddies
Witcher 3 - the game where I stopped drinking to finish and remember.
Fable 2 - there's a dog and he dies. Also many things.

Max Payne - noir & overly dramatic monologues. so dark, much edge. very jaggy
Duke Nukem 3D -
Shadowrun (genesis) - my brother introduced the game to me, and I got hooked to grim dark cyberpunk/fantasy + slew of novels
Final fantasy VI - everything

Monkey Island 2 - well big whoop.
Warcraft 3 - story telling
Dragon Age origins - got me back into epic fantasy or something
Bioshock 2 - Daddy/Daughter relationship even if I ain't a dad.

Last edited:
Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time and LTTP
Resident evil 2 and 4
MGS 1 and 2, along with 5
Gran turismo, along with 3
Ninja gaiden black : never replayed a game so much times

Driver (PS1) - Only played this with a group of friends where we'd hot-seat who was playing. Amazing social experience giving advice, criticisms, thinking we could do better and then being unable to. Loads of options for jokes and sillyness. The difficulty was sky-high, giving lots of chance to experiment. I remember on stop-the-ambulance mission where I came up with the plan to get in front, and just got ploughed up into the stratosphere by the shonky physics to watch the city splurge out into a sea of repeated polygons. The crappy graphics also meant the grit of the game was lost on us and it was just a joyful, silly romp around the city. Modern Drivers, like so much entertainment these days, is all serious and realistic, and we're no longer whizzing around getting shopping but instead murdering and maiming.

I played on pc but in my, at the time 13 or 14 year old or something mind, the graphics were pretty damn good. I do remember being extremely pissed off at the first mission/tutorial because if I remember correctly I had a very hard time doing that backwards 180. You couldn't skip to missions without completing the tutorial either, Think I did some ROFCAS :LOL:.

Honerable mentions I forgot are:

Need for Speed 2:
We got our first "real" pc in '98 or '99 (had some dos box before that that I didn't really knew how to use) and for Christmas I got NFS2 (burned copy of course). I played that game to death and doing knock outs and trying to unlock the last secret track was very existing and difficult.

Need for Speed 3 and 4:
3 looked amazing and the most awesome thing about 4 was car damage, something lots of games didn't have even after NFS4.

There was this one track that me and a friend always played that had a train in it and we'd try to mess up the cars as badly as possible by running into it head on.

A time where you could still do multiplayer on the same pc... This is the same friend I played NFS2 with and eventually we played NFS4 so much that the CD gave up (burned copy, looked like the CD had melted inside).

The guy died in a one way (most likely, I don't remember ever hearing otherwise) traffic accident about 12 years ago. We grew apart at that time because of going to different schools at some point but he was my best friend in kindergarten.

I am looking out over 40 years of PC gaming.

Wizardry
Age of Empires
Doom
Everquest
Battlefield 2

Not necessarily top 5, but most memorable (while offering a new gaming experience).

It would really be difficult to name Top 5, let alone my 5 favorite genres. I happen to only play multiplayer games, against/with others.

I am looking out over 40 years of PC gaming.

Wizardry
Age of Empires
Doom
Everquest
Battlefield 2

Not necessarily top 5, but most memorable (while offering a new gaming experience).

It would really be difficult to name Top 5, let alone my 5 favorite genres. I happen to only play multiplayer games, against/with others.
I'm a bit surprised by AOE. I found the MP to be too tower happy. There just wasn't enough in place to stop early scouting followed by towers in early ages. Not to say it could not be stopped, but it's hella annoying.

Then again I might be thinking AoK

Not everything within AoE was min/maxing, Strat had a lot to do with it.
So did your Allies!

Interestingly, Age of Empires is getting a 4k makeover and soon to be re-released. I am looking forward to reconnecting with Age of Empires (which is 20 years old), in a modern era.

Not everything within AoE was min/maxing, Strat had a lot to do with it.
So did your Allies!

Interestingly, Age of Empires is getting a 4k makeover and soon to be re-released. I am looking forward to reconnecting with Age of Empires (which is 20 years old), in a modern era.
it was a different game, compared to C&C's and the Crafts, Total Annihilation's and Myths.

Looking back, sort of sad to see that entire genre just drop off entirely, MOBAs have completely dominated the hell of out RTS.

Back