Gran Turismo Sport [PS4]

I don't think I could tell any more especially from the that gif:), I guess that van driving slowly down the highway gives it away.
Everything about it. At first I assumed it was in game, but it's leaps and bounds better, especially the lighting (headlights). So questioned why it's that much better, and realised it's because it's real life (car turning off, no UI, looks real). And that's little videos. Full screen would be more obvious.

Is there a front-of-car-cam in GTS to compare like-for-like viewpoints?

Everything about it. At first I assumed it was in game, but it's leaps and bounds better, especially the lighting (headlights). So questioned why it's that much better, and realised it's because it's real life (car turning off, no UI, looks real). And that's little videos. Full screen would be more obvious.

Is there a front-of-car-cam in GTS to compare like-for-like viewpoints?
I'm pretty sure once you blow it up to full res it would look gamey but to me those gifs kinda fooled me. The headlights looked different for sure but that's from a different viewpoint but other than that I thought the lighting looked very real life like.

I think what ruins the sense of speed it is the camera. The third person camera is far out and way too fixated at the back. The track moves but the car feels very much fix. During first person the camera is relatively a lot more static too.
Some motion blur around the edges of the screen would have also helped

You can see this when you compare the three games. The car in PC and FM move a lot more on elevation and turns in 3rd person. There is more rotational freedom.The camera shakes in various angles to elevation and turns in first person too, but it is more subtle in GT. The camera is also closer to the windshield. You are not looking from the drivers eyes. Conveying the sense of G-forces help a lot in conveying speed which PC does better than Forza and GT in 1st person. You can see that the acceleration and speed pulls the camera backwards as it would have happened in rea life. The car in GT is affected by elevation and turns but since the camera is a lot more fixated it destroys the feel.of speed

Grid is completely unrealistic btw but the shaky camera and motion blur help
Now that you pointed those things out. I hate PC implementation. I actually get dizzy watching these videos. There's just way too much movement imo.

Sense of speed is really dictated by environment whipping by. Some tracks will have greater sense of speed than others. This is just the nature of some tracks, as some are just wider and more barren than others.

NBR will always feel fast imo. With or without all that extra camera work.

Now that you pointed those things out. I hate PC implementation. I actually get dizzy watching these videos. There's just way too much movement imo.

Sense of speed is really dictated by environment whipping by. Some tracks will have greater sense of speed than others. This is just the nature of some tracks, as some are just wider and more barren than others.

NBR will always feel fast imo. With or without all that extra camera work.
Wow just noticed also that the camera in Forza is slightly warped too. That helps in giving the impression that elements from the environment pass by faster (it also has motion blur near the edges of the screen)

Wow just noticed also that the camera in Forza is slightly warped too. That helps in giving the impression that elements from the environment pass by faster (it also has motion blur near the edges of the screen)
I don't mind motion blur around the edges. It
Does give a false sense of speed, since your eyes should be able to do the work, but it's manageable and not too heavy, I am however, really against the forward and back cam. Really got nauseated there.

@Nesh
I totally understand what you mean but sense of speed in GT Sport still looks good enough to me and I was never specifically talking about 3rd person view.
They need to pull the camera back in first person, warp it slightly and make it show effects of acceleration and speed such as the head of the driver being pushed backwards. I is going to work even better

I've gotten so lost with the arguments in this thread. Does the game look good?
It's a long thread! Game looks mixed. Some bits are fabulous. Some are very gamey, especially 3rd person. It's also a WIP so the visuals are improving all the time.

If only GT had bevels it would have looked like reality :yep2:
At least not as mediocre as it does now.

I mean nobody is expecting it to look as good as DC since it runs at 60fps (most of the time) but then again, the lighting is static, it's not calculating dynamic GI, simulating clouds volumetrically nor applying high quality post processing during gameplay... Rain, where are thou?

At least not as mediocre as it does now.

I mean nobody is expecting it to look as good as DC since it runs at 60fps (most of the time) but then again, the lighting is static, it's not calculating dynamic GI, simulating clouds volumetrically nor applying high quality post processing during gameplay... Rain, where are thou?
But then again, GT Sport isn't out yet, so you don't know how it runs. It already runs more stable than the previous two GT titles and it was just the beta. Polyphony is definitely making a bigger effort in making it a stable 60fps.

DriveClub is overall probably the most impressive racer I've seen, but GT is pushing double the frame rate and DriveClub has much simpler physics. GTs AA is also much sharper and cleaner, and the lighting and car models are better than DriveClub's IMO. All about trade-offs.

And from what I've read, rain will be in the game (it was shown in trailers, but no actual gameplay AFAIK). It won't have dynamic weather though, at least not at launch.

Last edited:
The Pro version with HDR and WCG will look god like at at least in some tracks but mediocre in others, I'm also expecting a slew of visual patches for future improvements tho.

The Pro version with HDR and WCG will look god like at at least in some tracks but mediocre in others, I'm also expecting a slew of visual patches for future improvements tho.
I thought all PS4's support HDR.
What does WCG stand for?

I thought all PS4's support HDR. What does WCG stand for?
Television with WCG but bad HDR may not look impressive in human eyes. It is the HDR that makes an image quality stand out. Any half decent modern HDR television is nowdays also WCG.

HighDynamicRange(HDR): Greater difference in light intensity from white to black.
WideColorGamut(WCG): Greater range of colors. Anything more than Rec709 colors can be considered WCG. Industry is trying to close the gap for Rec2020 color range. Not all television reach the same range of colors and probably none consumer device has a 100% coverage of Rec2020 for few years. Best consumer devices go around ~70% of Rec2020 spec.

Last edited:
I thought all PS4's support HDR.
What does WCG stand for?
Yes indeed, I didn't mean to exclude the standard PS4. WCG means Wide Color Gamut and for the newest TVs it usually referring to DCI P3 which offers roughly 1 billion of colors vs around 16 million colors for Rec 709 "non wide color gamut". So potentially coupled with HDR the cars, scenery and weather could look much more realistic.

Back