All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, due to sales in NA being relatively close between PS4 and XBO with PS4 having the lead, a country like Spain having 8:1 sales in favor of PS4 is influential in increasing PS4's lead, but not to any large amount.
Spain itself, no, but if the rest of Europe is 8:1 ish, that's a third of the market beign very heavily swayed towards PS4. Considering Japan isn't doing much for either, we could even consider Europe and RotW closer to half the market PS4+XB1 sell to. So if PS4 and XB1 get half of US each, that's 25% of world market. Then if PS4 gets 7/8th of the other half of the market, that's 43.75% for a total of 68.75% to 31.25%. Oh, that's a 2:1 ratio. :)

Spain itself, no, but if the rest of Europe is 8:1 ish, that's a third of the market beign very heavily swayed towards PS4. Considering Japan isn't doing much for either, we could even consider Europe and RotW closer to half the market PS4+XB1 sell to. So if PS4 and XB1 get half of US each, that's 25% of world market. Then if PS4 gets 7/8th of the other half of the market, that's 43.75% for a total of 68.75% to 31.25%. Oh, that's a 2:1 ratio. :)

Heh, yeah. ROTW for PS4 is a bit less than 2x Japan. Using the always take with a grain of salt numbers from VGChartz.

PS4 lead in the following regions
  • NA - 1.12x
  • Europe - 2.90x
  • Japan - nearly infinite :p
  • ROTW - 2.99x
  • All Regions - 1.96x
Basically while PS4 has an ~3:1 lead outside of NA, the fact that it's so close in NA means it's ~2:1 world wide.

Regards,
SB

So, looking at mediacreate from Japan again.

Last week, marked the first time that PS4 was more than 1/2 of Switch sales, but this week Switch sales increased while PS4 sales decreased. Not quite 1/2 of Switch sales but close. Switch still remains under 30k per week and should easily do well over 100k for the month.

Something else interesting to note. The PS Vita version of Minecraft has sold over 1.1 million units to date in Japan. That's absolutely massive for a non-Japanese developed title in Japan. I can only imagine how crazy sales of the Switch version of Minecraft is going to be when it releases.

Also, as I expected, post E3 prices for the Switch have jumped. It's now averaging between 399 and 440 USD. It had been pretty steady at 390-430 USD for a few weeks prior to E3. :( Demand has jumped yet again in the US, and supply has obviously not come close to matching the demand for the console.

I can't wait for May NPD numbers to see if stock did actually increase in the US for May as Nintendo claimed it would.

Regards,
SB

My bad. That's for entire Sony, not just PS division.

aiAJTeI.png

I would assume that Switch was lumped in with the Wii U, Wii, PS3, 360 bucket. Seeing as how the only titles from Ubisoft for Switch has been Just Dance, I think its fair to say that Switch didn't account for much.

I find it amazing that more people don't want to Just Dance on public transport. :nope:

I would assume that Switch was lumped in with the Wii U, Wii, PS3, 360 bucket. Seeing as how the only titles from Ubisoft for Switch has been Just Dance, I think its fair to say that Switch didn't account for much.

One thing to note, however, is that this group went from 2% to 8% YoY. Chances are that most if not all of the increase was due to the Switch. That's not bad considering its userbase compared to the PS4/XBO and the fact that I think Just Dance (a relatively niche title) was the only major title released for it.

Regards,
SB

One thing to note, however, is that this group went from 2% to 8% YoY. Chances are that most if not all of the increase was due to the Switch. That's not bad considering its userbase compared to the PS4/XBO and the fact that I think Just Dance (a relatively niche title) was the only major title released for it.

Regards,
SB

That represents a drop and not an increase. And the switch is probably recorded under others* which is where mobile revenue is recorded.

I went and updated my 360 vs One launch aligned notepad for NPD. My sense was 360 would be making big gains, but I was interested how much.

Well the One held up a little better than I though, last time I updated I stopped at November 2015 for one vs November 07 for 360. At that time One led by 1889k.

Now updated through May 2017 (One) vs May 2009 (360), the One's lead has been shaved to 1451k. After 43 launch alinged months.

Still close to 1.5m console lead. The totals are 16.690 million for One through May 2017, 15.239 million for Xbox 360 through May 2009.

In percentage terms, One has sold ~9.5% more than 360 after 43 months (NPD only). That percentage has been steadily falling regardless of the absolute lead for One.

Looking ahead, the One's lead should remain similar or perhaps even enlarge through 2009 fairly easily, 360 was doing middling numbers for the rest of 09. Also, One tends to best 360 around holiday months Nov/Dec later in the year. Hardware sales have become more holiday focused over the years.

2010 though, wow, 360 was doing monster numbers. 400+k in regular months, and it had massive holidays too. 2010 seems 360's best year (due to Kinect). The trends would look like 360 might even pull ahead in 2010/18/the fifth year.

Time will tell though, because Xbox One X could boost the One's sales.

Last edited:
Edit: Some selected Xbox 360 2009/2010/2011 months sales

July 203k
August 215
September 353
October 250
November 819
December 1310

Nothing special, in fact Xbox One should gain around nov/dec, possibly Oct and sept. too. ALTHOUGH X1X imminent release may kneecap One sales until November. If X1X is big though, One can gain a lot in Nov and Dec. Nov, One typically does around 1.2m, and it could be well higher with X1X launch.

Then 2010 for 360
Jan 333
Feb 422
March 338
April 185
May 195
June 452
July 443
August 357
September 484
October 325
November 1374
December 1856

That's an absolutely huge year. April and May the only weak spots. 360 was more of a beast than I remember. Although IIRC it may have even outsold PS2 in the States. I have a hard time seeing Xbox One keeping it's lead even with X1X.

2011 also started with some enormous months for 360

January 381
February 535 (!) (console sales were much higher then, PS3 did 403 and Wii added 454 this month)
March 433

Most of 2011 was strong for 360, very strong Nov/Dec.

It seems unless Xbox One X goes bonkers to be inevitable that 360 will surpass One in the next couple years.

But too be fair, 360 I think may have ended up outselling PS2 in the states (I know it eventually caught the Wii) and did over 40 million in the USA. One of the if not the most successful USA console ever.

Edit: Vs PS2, Wikipedia has PS2 at "over 50 million in North America" as of December 2008. North America, though, and I'm not sure where 360 ended up in just USA. Plus I am guessing the PS2 number is shipments.

Could hazard a guess PS2 is higher in USA, simply because it sold ok for ages. Even into 2009/10/11...

I could go back and add up my NPD's, but once PS2 was an also ran/last gen it seems we didn't get PS2 data for some months, even though it still was selling relevant numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back