Why does the forum ignore spaces

Davros

Legend
How its typed
aNdX4du.jpg

How its displayed
RHKNWJT.jpg

why should I have to? I dont have to tell the code block to treat full stops specially

Thats just the way it is on all forum software that renders to HTML Clients since the beginning of time from what I remember. Only next lines tend not to be ignored.

HTML rendering ignores spaces.
HTML has <pre></pre> tag which won't ignore spaces. Some forums have corresponding [pre] bbcode.

HTML rendering ignores spaces.
HTML has <pre></pre> tag which won't ignore spaces. Some forums have corresponding [pre] bbcode.

The closest XF has is the code tag.

@Davros Yes, even in html and other forums you have to explicitly indicate to not ignore extraneous spaces. Its just the way it is.

Welcome to 1990

If only that were the case. I'd know which investments to make and which to avoid. Maybe even tell a politician or two to not run their own email server. :p

So if i want to separate 2 words with 2 or more spaces how do i do it?
As mentioned, you use the code tag. That will accept multiple spaces for code layout examples.

Outside of the code tag you have to rethink your content and why you want multiple spaces.

Last edited:
Rys could probably make some easy hack to implement a non breaking space code.

I guess just a replacement filter might work. Say turn whatewer into the appropriate HTML entity,

Code:
[nbsp] -> &nbsb;

well Brit linked to a page with several bb codes on it but forgot to tell anyone which is the one to use
so I'm guessing its the plain code

well Brit linked to a page with several bb codes on it but forgot to tell anyone which is the one to use
He linked to a specific post in which he specified the Code tag and provided the example. A link to a post includes the entire thread but focuses on the post in question.

Simply click on the + icon (insert...) on the editor toolbar then Code.

Reread again.

Ah, I was reading the wrong post
the plain tag doesnt work the code tag works, but I'm worried it might start highlighting words if they are also part of a programming language.

Ah, I was reading the wrong post
the plain tag doesnt work the code tag works, but I'm worried it might start highlighting words if they are also part of a programming language.
It won't do that as it's not smart. It's a "Code" tag only named as such due to it's use in presenting code normally. It has other uses but that's its common use.

Back