Formula 1 - 2017 Season

No further punishment for Vettel.
For me it's done now, but it has put some spice into the title fight. Let's see who cracks next.

The race in Austria takes place at altitude so there will be lower efficiency in the PUs, maybe it'll show up as favoring Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault or (gulp-choke-gaargk) Honda.

Austrian GP: Lewis Hamilton to receive grid penalty for unauthorised gearbox change
Lewis Hamilton will receive a five-place grid penalty for Sunday's Austrian Grand Prix as a result of an unauthorised gearbox change.

Teams must run a gearbox for six consecutive events but Hamilton's was changed before that period had expired.
Stewards have not confirmed the penalty but Hamilton's Mercedes team have accepted it is inevitable.

It is a blow to Hamilton's attempts to close the championship deficit to Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel.

On Friday, Hamilton was fastest in the second practice session, ahead of title rival Vettel.
Hamilton was 0.147 seconds quicker than Vettel at the Red Bull Ring, with the second Mercedes of Finland's Valtteri Bottas 0.216secs off the pace.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40535533

Poor Lewis, quite a blow to his ambitions to catching up to Seb again.

I think Seb is now experiencing what drove Nico out of the circus after winning the chamionship against allewis odds. But contrary to Nico, I would consider Seb more hardened. He mad the mistake once, was lucky he didn't get disqualified and - my guess - will learn from it.

Whether or not he is going lotus-esque, trying to not let all those mind games stick to his psyche or going into full aggression mode as Lewis did, remains to be seen. I would think it more entertaining, when, as Lewis put it, the gloves come off.

And with that I do not mean losing his head again, but surfing the borderline of legalese, which Lewis did masterfully in the past and which Max V. has yet to learn. Thrilling to see how Seb will fare with it.

Last edited:
When champions turn bad: who has seen the red mist over the years, and what did they do?
_96856056_whenchampionsturnbad.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40544457

Obviously another bitch attempt at what vettel did otherwise they would have out Senna on top.

Also goes to show just how meaningless that listis because everybody always raves on about Senna even though he apparently assaulted someone.

Senna's deliberate collision was also on a whole different level compared to vettel. Same goes for Schumacher.

What a missed opportunity, that chart needs an acompanying article going through it point by point.

I wouldn't want to be Pirelli representative at the pits at the moment. Kimi flat tyre, Vettel flat tyre, Verstappen close to flat tyre but pitted just in time in the end, Hamilton probably close to flat tyre too (complained on blistering some 10+ laps earlier already)

They have all sorts of load tests so I'm sure it's not illegal though maybe not within the "spirit of the rules".

Anyway who cares about wings moving a bit when some teams change the ride high of their cars by heating the hydraulic suspension oil thought the gearbox?

So I'm at Hungaroring this weekend and must say it is full of surprises :)
Ferrari sanbagging more than Mercedes for quali was unexpected and Paul DiResta in Williams made my day!

Yesterday I entered the circuit to witness Hass crash and when I was leavig, Sauber crashed. Both in front of my eyes!

Very nice atmosphere here, but walking 20km a day is leaving its mark on me ...

Amazing laptimes, new track record time and again during quali. Nice to see McLaren back into the top 10, hopefully some points tomorrow

Team orders are bad sports. Or get rid of the so called driver championship altogether and make it a pure constructor's championship.

Team orders are bad sports. Or get rid of the so called driver championship altogether and make it a pure constructor's championship.
Nah, the other way was worse when team orders were banned and the teams obfuscated them. Also it is a team sport.

Good on Hamilton honoring the agreement with Bottas, letting Bottas by and not letting Verstappen the dutch menace by. Verstappen cost the team a win I reckon with his idiotic lock up.

Alonso got P6 and fastest lap AND a vacation-themed cameo in parc ferme. :)

Back