The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I think it was that season (S05?), the one where they spend loads of time titting around with Dorne

If you're truly referring to season 5, I can assure you the time in Dorne is nothing compared to what you find in the books: much less, and the plot is shit in comparison to the books, too. The plot in Dorne in the books is so, so rich and interesting. The series changed a lot of things, while simplifying the plot... and not in a good way. This was the last season I watched.

If you're truly referring to season 5, I can assure you the time in Dorne is nothing compared to what you find in the books: much less, and the plot is shit in comparison to the books, too. The plot in Dorne in the books is so, so rich and interesting. The series changed a lot of things, while simplifying the plot... and not in a good way. This was the last season I watched.

I stopped reading after the third book. It was nice, but the wait was too long for book 4. Then I learnt it was split and that my favorite povs were not in the book
Anyway about Dorne, I heard a very different tune. Essentially, all my friends considered it a gigantic waste of time. At some point, apparently, you follow one guy, for a long time, only for him to fall in a stair and die ?
Martin loves to kill characters when he has no clue anymore on what to do with them.
So I'm really glad the tv show exist and that we will get closure on the story and move on.
Maybe they'll do SF after and adapt Dune (One can dream, ok ?)

About American Gods, I've read it when it came out but I don't remember much, apart from the final twist. I'm ambivalent about the tv show. It looks nice, but it's cold. Something is not right, it doesn't flow.
There are a few nice Gaiman-like moments though, like in episode 3 on the top of the building with the little sister. Yet, no way I'll miss an episode :)

And then Twin Peaks. The cliffhanger at the end of season 2 is great. Too bad we had to wait 25 years. I didn't had time to watch it yet, but Lynch rarely dissapoints, imho.

I stopped reading after the third book. It was nice, but the wait was too long for book 4. Then I learnt it was split and that my favorite povs were not in the book
Anyway about Dorne, I heard a very different tune. Essentially, all my friends considered it a gigantic waste of time. At some point, apparently, you follow one guy, for a long time, only for him to fall in a stair and die ?
Martin loves to kill characters when he has no clue anymore on what to do with them.
So I'm really glad the tv show exist and that we will get closure on the story and move on.
Well, I liked the new setting and the intrigue plot there was quite complex and interesting, in my opinion, and the series ruined it all.

Maybe they'll do SF after and adapt Dune (One can dream, ok ?)
Dune! :eek::love:

OMG!!! They´ve chosen a new Doctor....

13899368-low_res-doctor-who-series-11-e1500219885652.jpg

Jodie whittaker, she was great in Broadchurch :love:

What do you think??

I've almost finished watching the third season of Gotham. Imo it's pretty good, especially all the insane characters are well portaied.

Imo it's much better than most super hero movies.

I'm fighting my way through Marvel's Iron Fist. Its the worst show out of the netflix series, but still better than Agents of Shield. It just doesnt have the charisma to draw me into the story or make me want to care about the characters.

Last week I finished Stranger Things. It was different enough and had more of the young kid mystery vibe to make it feel unique. I hope they can keep that up in the second series.

I gave up on Iron fist after 5-6 epsodes. Similarly to you, I didn't feel much empathy towards the lead character, in fact more apathy than anything. pretty weak.

In an entirely different vein, I'm enjoying better call saul. I've never seen breakin' bad, but having heard that this was worked on it's own and predates BB, I've tried it and it's good entertainment thus far (8 eps into series 1).

How did I miss this thread LB?

Just finished season 4.5 of Vikings. Fiction, but tied to legend so pretty cool.

Can't wait for the next season of The Expanse. If you've not watched it yet then do so now in some paid fashion so it gets a fourth, fifth, etc. Good sci-fi is so hard to come by.

GoT is pretty and fun but how some people move bay distances in an instant vs. turtle convoy at other times it's strange. Sailing ships must have warp drives.

GoT is pretty and fun but how some people move bay distances in an instant vs. turtle convoy at other times it's strange. Sailing ships must have warp drives.

I must say, that's probably my biggest problem and main source of confusion in GOT. Distances are all over the bloody place (pun intended). It takes some girl years to go from one place to another, then it takes 1 day for another to seemingly ride the same distance. I only recently figured out where everything is, because if it were for the show, every city would be continents apart, with random wormholes in between that some people went through, and others didn't.

Distances are all over the bloody place (pun intended).

Martin does pay special attention to this, in fact one of the harder things to figure out for him was how to time the arrival of various characters in book 5.

As for the show, the writers' explanation is that depicting long journeys would be boring and a waste of screen time; so you have to assume that events take a much longer time to unfold, and there could be month-long pauses between scenes that they just skip. It's not helping that the seasons are irregular (the last summer was several years long!), so you don't notice changes in nature that would help your sense of time. On the other hand this also helps explaining the fast growth of the child characters.

Martin does pay special attention to this, in fact one of the harder things to figure out for him was how to time the arrival of various characters in book 5.

As for the show, the writers' explanation is that depicting long journeys would be boring and a waste of screen time; so you have to assume that events take a much longer time to unfold, and there could be month-long pauses between scenes that they just skip. It's not helping that the seasons are irregular (the last summer was several years long!), so you don't notice changes in nature that would help your sense of time. On the other hand this also helps explaining the fast growth of the child characters.

I'm ok with them skipping long periods of time. But from my experience I didn't feel that it was done at the same pace for everyone, which is where the confusion came from.

So, more proof that the show screws up some things... but yeah, the audience is dazzled by all the bling the show offers, so they don't mind if they ruin things here and there.

I first started with the TV series and I thought that the readers of the books who complained about the series were a bunch of moaners. Then I went into the books and oh, lord... I'm a fucking moaner, too.

I stopped watching GoT a few seasons back. The whole travel thing bugged the hell out of me since it really made the plot hard-to-impossible to follow for me. :(

Can't wait for the next season of The Expanse. If you've not watched it yet then do so now in some paid fashion so it gets a fourth, fifth, etc. Good sci-fi is so hard to come by.
Ok, you've gotten my interest now sell it to me! I am DYING for something decent to watch lately since it's about all I can do on my PC at the moment.

Oh and if it's on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or any standard cable network channel I can watch it. We pay for all three now, only thing we don't have is premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.

I'll probably still download it, but only if one of my paid services cover it...if not I will either not buy it or not watch it, fair?

It's a SyFy series so if you have access to SyFy you should have it. It's really the only intelligent Scifi in years IMHO. I started it after re-watching BSG2k9 and it's better. No FTL no aliens but complex politics and much more in the solar system. There is starting to be extra-stellar aspects. Would make for excellent binge watching.

I'm sure y'all have seen the news around, but still - this last episode did deliver quite memorably on a long time promise :)

I imagine they were able to take advantage of the lates in CGI at this late stage in the series, as oppose to say 5 years ago.

The popularity and ratings probably gives them a big budget for CGI and large battles.

I imagine they were able to take advantage of the lates in CGI at this late stage in the series, as oppose to say 5 years ago.

The popularity and ratings probably gives them a big budget for CGI and large battles.

Was thinking the same. This last episode looked like it dripped money.

Back