NPD June 2017 Sales Results

https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/20/...nd-injustice-roundhouse-kick-the-sales-chart/
Software:

Overall
  1. Tekken 7
  2. Injustice 2
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  5. Arms*
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  7. Mario Kart 8*
  8. Overwatch**
  9. NBA 2K17
  10. Horizon Zero Dawn
  11. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  12. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  13. MLB 17: The Show
  14. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  15. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  16. Battlefield 1
  17. Minecraft
  18. The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind*
  19. FIFA 17
  20. Forza Horizon 3
*No digital sales
*No digital sales from Blizzard’s PC app

Keep in mind that the chart is now based on revenue instead of unit sales, so Crash is already at a $20/unit disadvantage. It was also the number 1 selling PS4 title with just 2 days of tracking.

Strong sales from all systems boosted system sales. PlayStation 4 led this category thanks to Sony rolling out a discounted golden PS4 during E3 week.

“The PlayStation 4 was June’s best-selling hardware platform, driven by the Slim PlayStation 4 system in Gold with 1TB HDD,” said Piscatella. “It was the best performing June for PlayStation 4 unit sales to date.”

But the Switch is still the big story in hardware. The system is selling well, but it’s not necessarily stealing market from Microsoft or Sony. Instead, it is expanding the market.

Last edited:
Tekken 7? Hmm.

I barely knew that existed.

Probably terrible unit sales at #1 given how prevalent digital already is.

As fast as it's moving you can probably almost say HALF sales in USA are digital, maybe.

From the NPD it is the best June for PS4 hardware, I think the leak is probably true

The PlayStation 4 was June’s best-selling hardware platform, driven by the Slim PlayStation 4 system in Gold with 1TB HDD,” said Piscatella. “It was the best performing June for PlayStation 4 unit sales to date.

xbox one is really fizzling out, and switch idk what to make it. yea it's sold out but those numbers are pretty bad, especially when they releasing some big games, like mario kart and zelda. i can see it fizzling out fast, if it doesn't start getting good third party support.

It will be interesting to see what Switch sales look like once the increased production actually kicks in. Switch has actually gotten harder to find in my area over time. I believe a lot of retailers were getting additional stock today alongside the release of Splatoon 2. Great to see ARM's sell over 250k and this most likely means it is over a million sold world wide by now. Bodes well for new IP's from Nintendo with Splatoon and Arm's both doing well.

Nielsen report about US gamers preferences, from Q1.
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...oles-level-up-the-us-video-game-industry.html

The actual pdf....
http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/...017-reports/nielsen-games-360-report-2017.pdf

Seems to partially explain the first half of 2017 NPD results. And maybe provide some hints to predict the rest of 2017. All three console makers have all cards on the table at this point.
Whatever, I still think it's 1 year tool late for their mid-gen upgrade (4 years is mid ?)...and that their XBX only exists because of Pro which is why they aren't ready with their machine (incomplete XDK, still no FCC, no actual XBX games).

Whatever, I still think it's 1 year tool late for their mid-gen upgrade (4 years is mid ?)...and that their XBX only exists because of Pro which is why they aren't ready with their machine (incomplete XDK, still no FCC, no actual XBX games).

Yea Microsoft messed up, should have just waited and released the next xbox at the end of 2018, with a New cpu, advertising 4K/60fps, would get gamers way more excited.

There were actually two different designs in development. One similar in design and performance of the PS4 Pro. MS chose the more powerful design which required more time.

The XDK wasn't in a far better state when the XB1 originally launched.

Last edited:
Seems the slew of fantastic games at the beginning of this year has really helped propel US PS4 sales.

XB1 is not doing too hot when it's selling below a supply-constrained Switch.

Seems the slew of fantastic games at the beginning of this year has really helped propel US PS4 sales.

XB1 is not doing too hot when it's selling below a supply-constrained Switch.
It'll be a while for Xbox to right ship. It's not like things change night and day. After 1X releases they can focus fully on software and stop building up platform, I mean, they have 3 years to now to correct their library issues before next generation begins.

It's (sales) definitely going to get worse until after 1X releases, anyone who wanted to buy xbox could be holding back for 1X. No first party games either until around 1X launch. Aside from E3, still limited marketing around 1X. But I think after pre-orders open, there will be marketing at a level beyond that, that was promoting 4Pro.

It'll be a while for Xbox to right ship. It's not like things change night and day. After 1X releases they can focus fully on software and stop building up platform, I mean, they have 3 years to now to correct their library issues before next generation begins.

It's (sales) definitely going to get worse until after 1X releases, anyone who wanted to buy xbox could be holding back for 1X. No first party games either until around 1X launch. Aside from E3, still limited marketing around 1X. But I think after pre-orders open, there will be marketing at a level beyond that, that was promoting 4Pro.

Yup, this is the absolute worst time to get a XBO. There's no major must have releases. And as some have mentioned, the XBO could get a price cut when the XBO-X releases. Additionally, there may be some number of people waiting for the XBO-X.

There is quite literally almost no reason for anyone to buy an XBO until after XBO-X releases and/or the holiday games releases start to happen.

Regards,
SB

Still have Cuphead coming September 29 & Forza 7 coming October 3, but your point still stands. Games are quite barren. Hopefully a price drop is coming.

Tommy McClain

Yup, this is the absolute worst time to get a XBO. There's no major must have releases. And as some have mentioned, the XBO could get a price cut when the XBO-X releases. Additionally, there may be some number of people waiting for the XBO-X.

There is quite literally almost no reason for anyone to buy an XBO until after XBO-X releases and/or the holiday games releases start to happen.

Regards,
SB

Judging from the NPD numbers for June, the sales don't seem all that dissimilar to previous years, no?

Back