Destiny 2

After several more hours of PVP and testing out more weapons, I think the game is nearly perfect in terms of weapon balancing... just needs some minor tweaks. I think only scout rifles and sidearms need a buff. And yeah...fusion rifles need a nerf. Everything else is effective for their intended use. The only things I haven't really tried are rocket launchers and grenade launchers.

Since maps are going to be balanced around 4v4, there aren't going to be many maps where a scout rifle would excel and PRs will outclass them 99% of the time.

I also think that the voidwalker grenades need a buff; they're all terrible compared to the other subclasses. Pretty much any other grenade is good or at least useful.

Still need to try hunter. But so far, I still have very few complaints.

I like control better. Way better.

Still cant get any pulse to drop. I get drop after drop no pulse. Dupe after dupe of what I've already got, no pulse. Still, Scathelok AR seems pretty OP, I use that and scout. The scout seems to be only a marginal advantage at range over the AR, but still lightly useful.

Just had 7.0 efficiency game, including 10X streak. I guess streak now includes assists? Kills and assists are just conflated for everything now.

Also, fusion rifles seem really OP, yeah? Holy smokes.

Supers are still dumb, you only get one at the very end of the match if at all. What point is that? Oh, there's 20 seconds to go, here's your super!
sounds like you made a big difference ;)

After several more hours of PVP and testing out more weapons, I think the game is nearly perfect in terms of weapon balancing... just needs some minor tweaks. I think only scout rifles and sidearms need a buff. And yeah...fusion rifles need a nerf. Everything else is effective for their intended use. The only things I haven't really tried are rocket launchers and grenade launchers.

Since maps are going to be balanced around 4v4, there aren't going to be many maps where a scout rifle would excel and PRs will outclass them 99% of the time.

I also think that the voidwalker grenades need a buff; they're all terrible compared to the other subclasses. Pretty much any other grenade is good or at least useful.

Still need to try hunter. But so far, I still have very few complaints.
yea there are periods of 'neato!' charging grenades changes the behaviour. But the power output or lack of damage changes the way you want to use them.

What do people think is the meta? Thing is I felt like I was doing well with scout and scathelock AR. The scout was in the "energy" slot. i haven't had all the power weapons but the best I tried seemed to be the fusion.

Last night I finally got the nergal pulse, people have been raving about pulses. This one is full auto, which is a perk I actively disliked in D1.

From my match last night with Nergal it seemed surprisingly weak. Am I missing something? Of course I need to use it more before judging I suppose. The other problem is it's in the energy slot, so I have to use it as my "long range" in place of my scout, and the scathelock in the 1st slot. I'd rather have it in the primary slot and then the scout. I'm not sure, can any weapon be dropped in any slot? IE, can I get a kinetic scout? I really have no idea.

Another "criticism", I guess, is that all weapons kinda feel the same. It seems like you can use anything fairly interchangeably so far. It doesn't matter what you use. Totally different to D1.

People are bitching a lot on reddit about hunters being weak. Surprise of the century there, that Bungie would actively use the time between D2 and D1 to make sure hunters are absolute garbage. Not like anybody could see that coming.

Ok that said I still just run arcstrider, with our limited time not gonna bother learning other classes.

I also feel like with abilities being on much longer cooldowns your class should matter less anyway.

Another criticism pointed out on reddit, with our extremely limited amount of supers and the screen text warnings, as soon as people see a super all 4 scatter different directions. So you can only get 1 kill probably, the whole match, with a super.

sounds like you made a big difference

Not really, I think we just routed them, no contest or competition. It never really feels like what you do matters yet in D2, feels like autopilot.

At least I won mostly yesterday in Control. It's way more fun than countdown and seems less sweaty, was losing the majority of countdown.

But yeah weapon meta, even from reddit I cant get a clear idea. Some people are saying hand cannons are good...please no. Coolguy put up a vid about "you need to be running a SMG or sidearm" but I couldn't really understand his vid that much. It's all confusing to me right now.

Like I said for me the Scathelock AR and a Scout was working well from the beginning, then I got the pulse and that's gonna totally throw me off.

What do people think is the meta? Thing is I felt like I was doing well with scout and scathelock AR. The scout was in the "energy" slot. i haven't had all the power weapons but the best I tried seemed to be the fusion.

Last night I finally got the nergal pulse, people have been raving about pulses. This one is full auto, which is a perk I actively disliked in D1.

From my match last night with Nergal it seemed surprisingly weak. Am I missing something? Of course I need to use it more before judging I suppose. The other problem is it's in the energy slot, so I have to use it as my "long range" in place of my scout, and the scathelock in the 1st slot. I'd rather have it in the primary slot and then the scout. I'm not sure, can any weapon be dropped in any slot? IE, can I get a kinetic scout? I really have no idea.

Another "criticism", I guess, is that all weapons kinda feel the same. It seems like you can use anything fairly interchangeably so far. It doesn't matter what you use. Totally different to D1.

People are bitching a lot on reddit about hunters being weak. Surprise of the century there, that Bungie would actively use the time between D2 and D1 to make sure hunters are absolute garbage. Not like anybody could see that coming.

Ok that said I still just run arcstrider, with our limited time not gonna bother learning other classes.

I also feel like with abilities being on much longer cooldowns your class should matter less anyway.

Another criticism pointed out on reddit, with our extremely limited amount of supers and the screen text warnings, as soon as people see a super all 4 scatter different directions. So you can only get 1 kill probably, the whole match, with a super.

Not really, I think we just routed them, no contest or competition. It never really feels like what you do matters yet in D2, feels like autopilot.

At least I won mostly yesterday in Control. It's way more fun than countdown and seems less sweaty, was losing the majority of countdown.

But yeah weapon meta, even from reddit I cant get a clear idea. Some people are saying hand cannons are good...please no. Coolguy put up a vid about "you need to be running a SMG or sidearm" but I couldn't really understand his vid that much. It's all confusing to me right now.

Like I said for me the Scathelock AR and a Scout was working well from the beginning, then I got the pulse and that's gonna totally throw me off.
do you mind if I run a couple with you? I don't have you on my friends list for xbo, and you're one of the few people that take Destiny PVP seriously. I just want to see what I am missing here

Yeah we should play Boto. But I'm about to leave the house rn.

Ok, now I like the nergal-scathelocke combo. I tried the submachine gun for close range based on coolguy's vid but it seems just too range capped. If they're not right in front of you it loses all punch. The AR seems pretty strong close, but also maintains a lot more range.

Just like D1 I guess, the pulse seems pretty good because it's decent at all ranges.

I will say it's nice to see Bungie did something widely different, not just a reskin or something.

I dont think I like the "efficiency" rating thing, it's hard to judge what it really means. Like they're basically trying to obfuscate your performance. (yes I know it's based on kills+assists/deaths or something like that)

Seems kinda obvious they want to make everybody feel better, with a stat that it's much easier to go over 1.0 in. Dumbed down/casual, but again I guess it's fun, at least it's all different.

The true telltale stat though should be damage dealt, which I guess is only available in competitive?

I still miss D1 MP (deleted it again, for now again LOL). This doesn't scratch the same hardcore itch. It feels weird. But it's fun.

Last edited:
evening everyone
I have a question and it would be cool if someone in here could quote&answer soon.
I just played trough Beta campaign (PS4) and it does Require an internet connection to play the game so I bet full game will be always online no matter what but here is my question:
I currently have no PSplus but I saw 2 random players appear at some point during story/campaign mode. Is this the experience you'll get in the Full version without PSPlus/XLive subscription? At least this would explain the always online requirement.

PS+ is not needed for the entire Story campaign missions and public "Patrol" zones [open world areas with enemies, grinding and mini quests]. In those public areas you can/will meet other people. Entrances to strike and raid zones are placed inside large Patrol zones, so you will also be able to briefly meet those players before they enter their own closed [instanced] dungeons. When you level up enough, you will also gain access to extra hard daily/weekly missions that are used for grinding out the most important gear/points. If you're not into MP, those endgame missions [very hard versions of story missions] and playlist of extra hard version of Strikes will be the main thing that will keep you engaged in D2.

PS+ is needed for Strikes, Raid and MP.

Just played a bit. Seems like a really nice graphics upgrade, from what I remember of the first one. At the same time, I find the visuals maybe overstimulating, and I just find it fatiguing to look at. I don't know what it is. So much contrast, and then you get rain effects on the screen etc etc. Gameplay seems about the same.

Have they said whether they'll have in-game social tools, or will users be once again dependent on third-party forums and tools to organize raids? I played Destiny 1 for months without ever successfully managing to get together a raid on thedivision.the100.io, and I'm not going to waste my money this time around if that's going to be the case again.

I really like the Countdown mode, it's basically a variation on Counter Strike's popular bomb defusal mode, only here everyone from the attacking field can [very quickly] setup a bomb, and fallen teammates can manually be revived [once] 15secs after their deaths.

Here's one match I had yesterday

Also, i want the nightshade (pulse rifle). Not sure if still true but yesterday some were saying it's best crucible PVP weapon. Evidently drops in countdown. I've half a dozen countdown matches and no drops.
I got the Nightshade from the strike.

Also didn''t people always want the game to be about the team? Just saying , I just want chaotic games back to play with randoms lol, but I like how I matter now. Each action matters.

also, IP is unabanned now, Will jump in tonight ! I am just addicted to the strike, lol!

Well I got the other pulse rifle the nergal now. So I'm not worried about it as much.

I think you get the same drops from all activities in the beta. Competitive, quickplay, and the Strike.

The weapons system is still weird, it's stupid but the order kind of matters to me. If I'm going to run a pulse most of the time then say a submachine gun, it just feels a lot better if the pulse ("main weapon") is in the first slot and the sub in the 2nd slot, than vice versa. Since my pulse only dropped in the 2nd slot it's annoying. Also I think you start the match, if not after every death? Not sure about that one, with your first slot weapon out. So I want that to be my mainstay. Sorta like the D1 paradigm of primary and secondary.

So, you have to get the weapons you want to also drop in the right slot, for example, it would be nice to have a pulse drop in my first slot. That's a weird form of RNG.

This seemed to matter a lot more for the short time I ran a submachine, I guess since it has such a well defined role. I really wanted pulse in the 1st slot, submachingun in the 2nd, and not vice versa, but the pulse was only available in my 2nd/energy slot.

It's weird.

I think I still miss the most the verticality and mobility of D1. I'm not sure why but it seems missing. So you just run around flat footed and shoot, that's all there is to do.

Also it's almost certainly just my perception and not reality, but I have a sense there's not a big skill curve like in D1.

And the new befuddling "efficiency" stats dont help, it just means who really knows how you are doing. Part of that is just because stat sites aren't up yet to compare metrics, though.

The production values are off the charts though. Since fewer games feature insane production values nowdays, that alone will probably help D2 sell a ton.

Honestly a game like The Division, the community did not last at all, yet it experienced great sales. So people bought it and played it 10-12 hours like a single player title then stopped. D2 could go that direction.

PS+ is not needed for the entire Story campaign missions and public "Patrol" zones [open world areas with enemies, grinding and mini quests]. In those public areas you can/will meet other people. Entrances to strike and raid zones are placed inside large Patrol zones, so you will also be able to briefly meet those players before they enter their own closed [instanced] dungeons. When you level up enough, you will also gain access to extra hard daily/weekly missions that are used for grinding out the most important gear/points. If you're not into MP, those endgame missions [very hard versions of story missions] and playlist of extra hard version of Strikes will be the main thing that will keep you engaged in D2.

PS+ is needed for Strikes, Raid and MP.
good answer, Thank you! So in other words there will be no real Co Op without PSplus in D2 but you will be able to see others. But I'm not a fan of the always Online concept, all it takes is some issue on PSN,Bungie's or your own end and thats where the frustration begins. Story campaign really should have an option to be playable offline! I'm not opposed to MP and online features in any game though.

Just played a bit. Seems like a really nice graphics upgrade, from what I remember of the first one. At the same time, I find the visuals maybe overstimulating, and I just find it fatiguing to look at. I don't know what it is. So much contrast, and then you get rain effects on the screen etc etc. Gameplay seems about the same.
Yeah it is pretty bright by default. Maybe try to turn the ingame brightness down a bit? It really is one of the most impressive games I've played. Quality particle effects and lighting. beautiful.

Last edited:
good answer, Thank you! So in other words there will be no real Co Op without PSplus in D2
Well... no.

You can play the entire campaign in 3-person coop [except opening mission(s) before arriving to the first "community zone", which happens very early on] without PS+. And Destiny campaign is very fun in coop.

Finally tested all 3 classes and hunter is definitely the weakest. The neutral game and movement is pretty good, but the supers are the worst, especially arcstrider. Arcstrider is worse than I thought it'd be... I think it's worse than bladedancer. It's better than blade in the sense that it has more attacks, but it's slower and the hit registration is worse. It's all flash, no substance. The only time it's effective is when enemies are grouped up in a tight space. If enemies are in a more open area, they can just backpedal and team shoot you, and you'll get melted instantly. The other perk tree will help greatly, but I still don't think it's very good.

The perk tree available in the beta for golden gun is not ideal for PVP... it runs out far too quick that you'll be lucky to get more than 1 kill with it.

My last final thoughts on D2 PVP so far are that overall hit registration seems a little off compared to D1. Maybe it's just the weapons we're using, but sometimes it seems like shots or melees should be landing when they're not.

Also because recovery times are a lot slower in D2, I find myself challenging gunfights when I shouldn't be because my health is lower than I think it is. Recovery in D1 is so fast that by the time you step aside for a few moments, your health and shield are already regenerating. This makes me think that recovery might be the most important stat in D2.

People think that skill-based matchmaking is in the beta, and it definitely seems that way. Our first day of PVP as a group, we didn't lose a single match, and we steamrolled almost every team. Since then it has been a lot more competitive for us.

I think Skill-based matchmaking should only be put in the competitive playlist. Quickplay should be focused on connections first and foremost.

All in all, I still think it's a massive improvement to D1 PVP. It's not perfect, but it's nothing that can't be fixed and again it just needs some tweaks IMO.

Here are some matches I saved of each class (in order of Warlock, Titan, Hunter).

Last edited:
Well... no.

You can play the entire campaign in 3-person coop [except opening mission(s) before arriving to the first "community zone", which happens very early on] without PS+. And Destiny campaign is very fun in coop.
Ah... but you wrote MP requires Plus in your earlier posts.That is a form of MP too isn't it? So If you don't play with peeps from your friendlist in campaign does that mean random player will appear in your game and can actively fight alongside you? I post this on a forum because googling it would lead me to hundreds of marketing articles before my questions are answered. sorry for taking your peoples time with me dumb questions :(

Ah... but you wrote MP requires Plus in your earlier posts.That is a form of MP too isn't it?
Campaign is campaign, it can be played solo, in 3-person fire team, or with "loose" partnerships which can only happen in open public zones [many areas of campaign lead to the specific instanced levels where game can throw specific stuff at the player].

That is a form of MP too isn't it?
MP in this game is called "Crucible", and it is really "MP arena"-oriented. Separate stages, unique gameplay modes, etc.

So If you don't play with peeps from your friendlist in campaign does that mean random player will appear in your game and can actively fight alongside you?
Only in public zones. If you create a fire team [in game party squad], then they can follow you even to the instanced levels [fighting some boss or smth].

Back