CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

But will the miners buy it? Given the almost nonexistent resale value of these things. Of course, they may buy it regardless because there quite literally isn't anything else to buy but will it ever reach that point?

It will be interesting to see what sort of binning have been done when RX Vega comes around. Chances are the product will be launched just when a bubble hits crypto mining and the market will be flooded with cheap, used graphic cards.

It will be interesting to see what sort of binning have been done when RX Vega comes around. Chances are the product will be launched just when a bubble hits crypto mining and the market will be flooded with cheap, used graphic cards.
Assuming nothing drastic suddenly happens, there shouldn't be much of a bubble bursting but just difficulty going up so high the current high value mining cards become obsolete. That's expected to happen next year I think, so Vega should be safe from that

Right now the bitcoin is in trouble, so every other crypto are falling with it, it's not linked to the difficulty going up.

Right now the bitcoin is in trouble, so every other crypto are falling with it, it's not linked to the difficulty going up.
OT, but I think that it is related to the recent prices for crypto being unsustainable, and the impending fork for Bitcoin in August, which is scarring people, can't see people giving up on mining, it'll probably just be a blip and prices will stabilise in a few months and slowly begin to rise again.

OT, but I think that it is related to the recent prices for crypto being unsustainable, and the impending fork for Bitcoin in August, which is scarring people, can't see people giving up on mining, it'll probably just be a blip and prices will stabilise in a few months and slowly begin to rise again.

The price of Ether this year has been artificially high. Every indication was that the actual Ether to fiat conversion volume was very small and the "currency" was in a major deflationary cycle, which greatly deminished its usefulness as an actual medium of exchange but instead turned into fun to watch but clearly unsustainable store of speculative wealth (classic bubble behavior). What is happening right now is that many miners who were hoarding Ether (why sell today when it's worth more tomorrow?) are starting to try to cash out and are quickly realizing that the "wealth" they though they had was a figment of speculation-driven, diflation-cycle, artificially constrained supply.
But kudos to those who few who actually cashed out ~$400, it's the equivalent of still being able to trade your bulbs for a horses and carriage during the tulip mania.

Yeah I agree (and I hope for the rise too). At least, It will send a big warning to the newcomer miners... maybe it will clean the field a little.

Just a bit of additional info:
With good cooling and mem OC to 1100 MHz (from 945), Vega FE is able to hit 37.1-ish MH/s on ethminer 0.11.0 in Windows 10.
Running at default, temps are going up, fan reaches 2000 rpm, card throttles back to what results in round 29-ish MH/s.

For comparison's sake: A R9 390X breaks the 30 MH/s barrier as well, as do GTX 1080 Ti and Titan X (Pascal)/Xp.

I think it's too early to judge, since you would not run non-undervolted Nvidia-cards for mining as well, right? At least not when you have to pay for the power. And even though some people claim, using wattman was straightforward, at least for my system in combination with mining software, it was not.

Yes, it runs at full power for those MH-values.

I'm just in the optic "ok, my fiji does 28-30mh/sec for 180w, doing 7 more mh/s for 60-70w is not worth it". For 80-85w my 1060 does 24mh/s. I'm just saying it's not a mining dream. A good thing would have been 37mh/s for the same power usage that Fiji for exemple, something like that... Polaris is still the best option (if you can find one), and Vega is not a game changer at all right now. Underwolting won't do miracle.

With ETH-mining being quite memory dependent, there surely is room for core downclocking and core undervolting. But as I said, contrary to some lucky (or smart) guys, I cannot really get things repeatably stable with mining while both undervolting the GPU and overclocking the memory at the same time. Sooner or later, I am ending up with 852 MHz GPU clock and/or 800 MHz memory clock.

From wildly guessing, i'd say, that round 1200 MHz should be sufficient to maintain the 37 MH/s and I could imagine with everything lining up properly to go under 200 watts for the card with those settings (UV, 1200e/1100m). But again - not working stable for me right now with all those tweaks applied at the same time.

Seems the pending Bitcoin fork has two rather interesting possibilities. Assuming people dump Bitcoin to see how the dust settles then they're either going to flee to another crypto like Ether or convert to real currency. The latter seems costly so I'm guessing Ether, Litecoin, etc. get a boost.

Then, one month later Unikoin Gold does their ICO...

Last edited:
Just a bit of additional info:
With good cooling and mem OC to 1100 MHz (from 945), Vega FE is able to hit 37.1-ish MH/s on ethminer 0.11.0 in Windows 10.
Running at default, temps are going up, fan reaches 2000 rpm, card throttles back to what results in round 29-ish MH/s.

For comparison's sake: A R9 390X breaks the 30 MH/s barrier as well, as do GTX 1080 Ti and Titan X (Pascal)/Xp.

There's something limiting the Vega perf, but not sure what. For ethereum mining each hash does 64 reads of 128 bytes. That means the theoretical performance of a Vega is 483 GB/s / (64*128) = 60 MH/s, yet it's only getting 30. Fiji also had similar efficiency issues - the 512 GB/s of bandwidth should have hit 66MH/s but it produces a similar 30MH/s.

GTX 1080 Ti and Titan X are known to run below the theoretical perf due to GDDR5x.

Both the RX 480 and GTX 1070 have a theoretical performance around 31 MH/s and measured perf around 29 MH/s.

In summary HBM and GDDR5x appear to be bad for ethereum mining, regular GDDR5 is good.

GTX 1070 is well bellow that at stock memory clocks. Reaches 29-31 with ~ 9ghz memory . I 've boards from 2 different vendors

There's something limiting the Vega perf, but not sure what. For ethereum mining each hash does 64 reads of 128 bytes.
Thanks for the insight - I did not know these specifics!

And yeah, that's the culprit: Power.
I've got an FE-1070 here that's doing 31,1-31,4 MH/s with 4580/2 mem clock and at 68% PT with -150 MHz core offset. HWInfo64 tells me, the card alone averages at 103 watts during ETH mining.
edit:
Just tried 64% PT with same MH/s. Core clocks at ~1220 MHz. Avg. power draw card only 96,5 Watt

Really hoping I'll get Vega to stably run undervolting & concurrent mem OC soon. There's so much potential, esp. for ZEC.

Last edited:
Which OS are folks using for mining? Windows seems to have some advantages owing to all the various over/under clock/volt tools.

Back