Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't every non shitty website that allows you to order stuff offer you a printable page/print button/send by email etc?

Can't remember the last time I felt I had to save a page.

And if all else fails there is always the print screen button ;)

Not just that but all flights I book have e-mailed me a confirmation and the itinerary or a link to the itinerary.

Regards,
SB

Doesn't every non shitty website that allows you to order stuff offer you a printable page/print button/send by email etc?

Can't remember the last time I felt I had to save a page.

And if all else fails there is always the print screen button ;)
Yes the print screen was what I used (multiple times)
But yes theres shitty websites, eg like today I was dealing with the kenya visa application, over multiple pages 7 steps IIRC and then payment by creditcard (plus 2 times phoning the bank cause they were refusing the payment. I spent over US$5000 in the last couple of weeks no probs, but try and spend US$51 to an africa government website and you are in a world full of hurt)

Dude the fact is (not opinion) having a save webpage option is sometimes a good thing to have, certainly better than not having the option at all.
Better than pdf (how does that save javascipt?)

Doesn't saving the page have its of set of problems? You might be able to save the information you entered but I can imagine that you'll run into issues with timeouts and whatnot.

I was under the impression you just wanted to save what you entered (and what got sent to the server) and not wanted to save it for later use.

Ha, I didnt even think of that, just shows you how little I use the standard keyboard shortcuts now, but no that doesnt work.
I was under the impression you just wanted to save what you entered (and what got sent to the server) and not wanted to save it for later use.
In this case it was just a conformation popup of my flight being booked and paid for but thats beside the point
the point is its wierd not having a svae page option, I really can't see it as being that difficult to implement, save the html page to a file and all it references in a directory in the same place

PC was doing rendering when Windows decided to install update and reboot itself.... nice :rolleyes:
Even if the default allows Windows to reboot itself, it should at least have some detection on whether the PC is busy or not. Apparently while maxing all cores Windows just doesn't care.

PC was doing rendering when Windows decided to install update and reboot itself.... nice :rolleyes:
Even if the default allows Windows to reboot itself, it should at least have some detection on whether the PC is busy or not. Apparently while maxing all cores Windows just doesn't care.
Weird. Mine will only ever do it automatically in the middle of the night. Otherwise it gives me the option to update and restart, just like previous versions.

Weird. Mine will only ever do it automatically in the middle of the night. Otherwise it gives me the option to update and restart, just like previous versions.
The PC is basically unattended. Just installed Windows 3 days ago. Only installed the required software. Boss decided to use it. This is for rendering with 3ds max. Yes, it ran at night.
The problem is why it can't detect if the PC is actually busy? And I just saw an option to pause updates for 35 days. Why not let it not to restart/reboot without my permission? :(

Settings -> Updates -> Restart Options -> On -> Pick a time ?

You can also specify "Active Hours"

Also, Microsoft wants you to pay for the pro version if you want to use it, you know, professionally. Then you can disable automatic updates using a group policy.

Settings -> Updates -> Restart Options -> On -> Pick a time ?

You can also specify "Active Hours"
Except in my use case, I can't really specify an active hours since I don't know when the PC will be active (no fixed schedule). Sometimes it will ran for days, sometimes not being used for days.

Also, Microsoft wants you to pay for the pro version if you want to use it, you know, professionally. Then you can disable automatic updates using a group policy.
What's wrong with the old solution (Windows 7)? Personally I want to install Windows 7 on that PC, the problem is that when I previously installed Windows 7 on modern hardware (i7-7xxx series), it was a bit of a hassle, thus this time I chose Windows 10 and yes, the installation went really smooth.
Also the annoying thing with this update thing is that I assume the manual update setting is not there anymore or hidden somewhere like using that group policy? My brother use a laptop with Windows 10 in it and since he often use pocket wifi for internet on the go, it ate his data quota. I look around Windows 10 setting in the user friendly area (settings page) and I can't find it.

Informative article except they completely missed the main reason Microsoft wants to enforce automatic updates whenever possible. Unpatched Windows PCs represent not only a security risk to the user of that system, but a potential security risk to any system connected to the internet. For example, unpatched PCs that get compromised and then are integrated into a botnet which is then used to compromise other systems connected to the internet.

Pro and Enterprise versions of Windows have the ability to disable this because Microsoft hope that the IT staff and more technologically informed users will keep their systems updated with regards to security updates and that those users might have requirements that home users don't generally have. IE - integration into a corporate network, compatibility with corporate software that can cost millions of USD, X days of uptime before downtime can be scheduled, etc.

Unfortunately, as the latest outbreaks have shown (the recent ransomware outbreak, for example), even IT staff can be lazy about validating and installing critical security updates. So, something that was completely preventable ended up being a big thing generating worldwide news.

Anyways, my Windows 10 home licenses are set to notify me when a restart is required so I can set a time for it. They never automatically restart unless I ignore the notification or don't schedule a restart for multiple weeks.

Regards,
SB

That's the problem with this PC. Since it is mostly unattended, I can't be bothered to check periodically when it asked to restart. And for some reason, after I enabled that pause update for 35 days thing, I leave the office and let the PC rendering, and it again restarted after installing an update.
I don't ask for anything fancy, but at least it should be able to detect about whether the PC is busy or not and only restart when it isn't busy. I think maxing 8c/16t is a good enough indication for don't restart this PC.

That's the problem with this PC. Since it is mostly unattended, I can't be bothered to check periodically when it asked to restart. And for some reason, after I enabled that pause update for 35 days thing, I leave the office and let the PC rendering, and it again restarted after installing an update.
I don't ask for anything fancy, but at least it should be able to detect about whether the PC is busy or not and only restart when it isn't busy. I think maxing 8c/16t is a good enough indication for don't restart this PC.

Are you using the Pro version? My Pro version never restarts automatically. I have automatic restarts disabled. It will automatically download updates and apply them, but won't restart the PC until I choose to restart it. No prompts or anything.

With the Home version leaving it unattended for a long time could definitely be problematic.

Regards,
SB

I do have the pro version but the setting is at stock since I didn't have the chance to set it up yet. Since this Friday, I will probably stay at the office a little bit longer to sort it out.

My brother laptop tho (and probably most laptop that came with Windows 10), is not pro and this download anytime thing is seriously annoying for pocket wifi user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back