Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scorpio without a 4K TV seems to be a bit of a waste imo. The downscale (which I do today with PC) is not enough. Downscaling cleans up edges lines, but it not the same as 4K.

Well 4k might not be worth 4k, depends on the screen size and viewing distance. The average Walmart 4k buyer is probably sitting 12' from a 55" screen. But hey, they get to sell more TVs and that is the real point. It has little to do with image quality.

Well 4k might not be worth 4k, depends on the screen size and viewing distance. The average Walmart 4k buyer is probably sitting 12' from a 55" screen. But hey, they get to sell more TVs and that is the real point. It has little to do with image quality.

4K itself doesn't, but everything that goes into making a TV 4K and even more so 4K w/HDR and most so 4K w/HDR & WCG make better TVs which does make for better image quality. The improvement in the quality of budget TVs over the last 3 years has been more dramatic than I have ever seen.

Overall, the move to 4K, beyond the direct benefits, is bringing a lot of positive changes and I'm fully on board now. Much more so than I was in the beginning, which was pretty much not at all.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain that this $2k projector is not a real 4K projector, but could you link to the model/news you are talking about?
recent development Optoma UHD60
i was surprised also!
Ultra High Resolution of 3840x2160,3000 lumens, 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, High Dynamic Range in the form of HDR10, vertical lens shift and a massive 1.6x Zoom,the Optoma UHD60 has been engineered to deliver the ultimate 4K UHD home viewing experience. The Optoma UHD60 is powered by a revolutionary Texas Instruments 4K DLP UHD Chipset with a high performance DMD utilizing XPR video processing technology with fast switching to display 8.3 million “distinct” pixels as mandated by the Consumer Technology Association’s 4K UHD 2160p specification.
http://m.projectorpeople.com/projec...sp?itemid=41655&itmname=Optoma-UHD60&sid=PCEL

Thanks I hadn't heard of that. It does still use a pixel shift technique to achieve that 4K resolution from 2716 x 1528 individual micro-mirrors. Pixel shifting technique uses one pixel/mirror in 2 separate positions in a frame through high refresh rate and works very well. Apparently with having about half the amount of micro-mirrors to real 4K, the the end result is virtually identical to 4K.

Thanks I hadn't heard of that. It does still use a pixel shift technique to achieve that 4K resolution from 2716 x 1528 individual micro-mirrors. Pixel shifting technique uses one pixel/mirror in 2 separate positions in a frame through high refresh rate and works very well. Apparently with having about half the amount of micro-mirrors to real 4K, the the end result is virtually identical to 4K.
think last i looked equivalent was around twice that.
have to admit I've not researched how good it is yet though as wasn't ready to buy.
But for the price and hdr10, and the method supposed to be pretty good, i made sure to save link.

There is no invisible force field around a TV. Even though my couch is 10-12 feet away, I readily break out a chair to reduce that distance to 4-5 feet when I really want to indulge in an immersive experience.

My son never games from the couch, he prefers sitting Indian style about 4 feet from the TV.

Last edited:
I saw a new 4k hdr pj for $2k just come out (have 1080p pj), so maybe get that or replace TV, need to decide which would be best, although may stick with what I've got for a while longer and miss out on the 4k goodness.

Which pj is that?

Summabitch!!!!

Not really for me because I just bought a new TV.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one-x

Specs are listed as HDMI 1.4b (in) and HDMI 2.0b (out). You still get AMD FreeSync but no HDMI 2.1.

And why 1.4b in, MS acts like there unlikely a future where setup boxes deliver 4k above 30hz and HDR.

What's the likelihood of freesync coming to TVs without hdmi 2.1?

I guess HDMI 2.1 hardware or cert process was taking too long. Maybe the hardware is there so just a software patch is needed. Read that it's possible if the product has an upgradeable HDMI chipset.

2016 Samsung TVs are getting HDR+ so maybe VRR support over 2.0b.

Last edited:
HDR+ is DOA. It's another misleading 'format' made by Samsung, that is supposed to make SDR content look like HDR. Needless to say, it's the usual Samsung drivel.
Every HDR TV has a function to make SDR content 'look like HDR' that doesn't really work very well unless it's kept to low levels, obviously.

HDR+ is DOA. It's another misleading 'format' made by Samsung, that is supposed to make SDR content look like HDR. Needless to say, it's the usual Samsung drivel.
Every HDR TV has a function to make SDR content 'look like HDR' that doesn't really work very well unless it's kept to low levels, obviously.

Sorry was referring to HDR10+, hdr10 with dynamic metadata.

Summabitch!!!!

Not really for me because I just bought a new TV.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one-x

Specs are listed as HDMI 1.4b (in) and HDMI 2.0b (out). You still get AMD FreeSync but no HDMI 2.1.

And why 1.4b in, MS acts like there unlikely a future where setup boxes deliver 4k above 30hz and HDR.

What's the likelihood of freesync coming to TVs without hdmi 2.1?

I guess HDMI 2.1 hardware or cert process was taking too long. Maybe the hardware is there so just a software patch is needed. Read that it's possible if the product has an upgradeable HDMI chipset.

2016 Samsung TVs are getting HDR+ so maybe VRR support over 2.0b.

HDMI 2.1's implementation of VRR pretty much *is* AMD FreeSync. The Xbox One X releasing with 2.0b need not be any more of an impediment to the One X delivering HDMI 2.1 spec VRR than the PS4 launching with 1.4b was an impediment to it delivering HDR.

Microsoft has already confirmed 2.1 support. Just can't list the spec on the box until the standard is ratified. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-supports-freesync-and-hdmi-vrr

It has been specifically called out as supporting "HDMI 2.1 VRR". I wouldn't count on any other part of the HDMI 2.1 spec above and beyond what's already in HDMI 2.0b being supported.

To cut a long story short, Scorpio supports AMD's FreeSync - and the upcoming variable refresh rate support baked into the next-gen HDMI 2.1 spec.

Mine is uh610t. Have shitty color and contrast ratio.

Hdr X sdr game looks almost the same, hdr colors looks more cartoony.

Hdr movies looks nicer tho.

According to rtings, the TV linked above have similar spec but wider color gamut.
Funny thing that my ages old 720p Bravia has Wide Colur Gamut and Live colour producing pretty reddish visuals which newer TVs seem to shwo off. No HDRof course.

Does UH650t have true HDR10? i get conflicting results for that. Also how does it compare to the KU7000 from Samsung? Does that have true HDR10? Somehow these two models are available for quite cheap here, especially the KU7000(imported stock) but I seriously doubt these Tvs are even doing proper HDR 10 colours.

EDIT: I am thinking of buying the Samsung KU7000 since its going for pretty cheap here. what's the B3D verdict? should I take the plunge?

Last edited:
Funny thing that my ages old 720p Bravia has Wide Colur Gamut and Live colour producing pretty reddish visuals which newer TVs seem to shwo off.

That was probably Deep Color. Not the same thing as Wide Color Gamut. in brief: The first allows for more accurate colors within the same range and the second allows a larger range of colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back