CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Yup.. unfortunately I don't own any AMD card to test.

Also, I haven't figured out yet how to use benchmark mode in claymore. It runs forever and doesn't provide a single number at the end. I guess I should write a stupid script that parses the logfiles and averages stuff out?

It's running the same block over and over again. The MH/s are very repeatable. Just use that number.
FWIW, I tried an RX580 (one with not so quick memory, because it just sat in my system right now) and it went down from a bit over 22 MH/s to just under 20 with DAG increased from a defaul 125 to 150. No other comparisons yet, no time. :(

You add „-benchmark 1“ to the config - benchmark loop with the most recent DAG when the miner was built (125 for claymore 9.5). If you want another DAG, increase the number, i.e. „-benchmark 150“.

For my rig, the numbers are not that repeatable from run to run (i.e. they vary wildly for one card , between something like 12 - 33 mhs). Up til now, I though I could only rely on my pool's statistics

Hm, maybe I've identified an issue with my setup . Could be some windows/drivers power management thinggie. Though the clocks look stable in Afterburner. Maybe the sampling rate of 1 measurement/second is not enoungh. Needs investigation

Mh... I have like 6 or 7 in a row, that deviate in the second digit after the comma. Then maybe there's one outlier result. That's true for me on all systems where I've tried this.

I hope they have a good monitoring of hardware system installed, will be an horror to try find what gpus, ram have die in there.

Mh... I have like 6 or 7 in a row, that deviate in the second digit after the comma. Then maybe there's one outlier result. That's true for me on all systems where I've tried this.

Maybe for the benchmark mode, I overestimated the differences. (stil they are much higher than only changes in the secon digit, As you can see for the 4 cards, it varies between 117 and 122)

For pool mining, the window is 66 - 122

Attachments

• ClaymoreBench.jpg
    ClaymoreBench.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ClaymorePool.jpg
    ClaymorePool.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 10
I see. Maybe there's really something interfering in your system. Or it's due to the fact that you're using multiple GPUs. Maybe transferring is not free anymore for PCIex4?
Did you try to adjust mining intensity (for my daily usage system, where I surf and post, I use low intensity -ethi 2 (default is 8, which is used when you don't set anything else) and are you mining just EHT or also Sia Coin or something else?

My rig is dedicated. Althought the cpu is very weak (some Regor dual core.. a 25 W part (!) ), it's not close at all to 100% usage.

I used to mine LBC but turned it off for the purposes of that screenshot. I'll leave it at ETH only for a day or so.. see if the average hashrate increases by any amount.

As I said before, I'm suspecting that some power management may be interfearing. Switched to high performance plan, without any obvious change.

Maybe in your case Carsten, you're not using nVidia GPUs ? It might be the fact that there are more than one. By disabling mining on all but one though, variations still exist.

Tried both actually. Until a few days ago, my main rig was equipped with a RX 480 (which I sold on ebay, could not resist the insane prices there), now I'm on a borrowed 1050 Ti, which is ok for the titles I am currently playing. It mines less than half as fast though (ofc) at ~13,1 MH/s with a little extra love. Fun fact, the last six jobs on this rig, where I am encoding a video in the background were 13,222 - 13,093 - 13,195 - 13,243 - 13,195 - 13,193 MH/s in "real" mining mode.
But anyway, maybe it is some factor not apparently visible or it may depend on the OS (I'm on Win 8.1 still... *doh*). But a rounded MH/s value should be possible, even if you have to manually do this. ;)

Yup, the pool rounds it up for me as you can see in the graph (I was on two cards for the begining ..). The benchmark mode seems to manifest less variations, so I'll use that directly for testing overclock efiiciency. I'll be happy if the overall average reaches 115 MHs eventually.

As for the crazy prices of RX 480, I'm at a loss why ppl buy them even when they exceed 1070 gtx prices. Only reasonable explanation would be that they already have 480/580s rigs and they want to fill some remaining PCIe slots. Probably the RXs can be a little faster when tuned properly, but then their resale value will be lower

Attachments

• alph.jpg
    alph.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 10
I've set up my 1080 Ti with nicehash and mining zcash + eth (depending on what's profitable), undervolt to 0.800mv and 1709 core clock +800 mem (+300 actual after p-state drop), 160 watt power draw and I get this on lyra2rev (zcash):

5kgukm.png

Sitting at around 8-10 $ per day. Max temperature on the GPU 57-58 C.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a silly question but can you easily convert all those crypto currencies in to real money?

I mean, if its that easy to make 8 ~ 10 dollars a day then what is holding anybody back to just put three systems in the attic and make 10 grand a year? There is initial cost and power cost of course but you'll still make a very easy profit that is much higher than you'll get putting your money on a savings account or investing into stock (unless you bet the house maybe).

What is the catch?

- EDIT : Sorry for my bad english - First of all, it's not "that" easy. For people like us used to computers&such, yes maybe, but it's not for everyone (setting up the hardware, the software, managing wallets, securing them, placing orders on exchange plate forms, etc). Then, in some country the power price is high, so it's hard to generate a lot of profits. If you built multiple big rigs, heat, noise are factors too.

If all that is ok, then you need the money to start (buy the cards, mobo, special cases, riser, etc). The catch is, yeah Eth, Zcash, etc, are high right now, but it won't last, so making big investment is always risky. If you mine multiple crypto moneys, then, it can be very time consuming to study the market, sell when it's needed, etc, like any exchange stuff. I've a job, I only mine with my gaming card(s), I don't want to heat up all my apartment and spending all my time in that activity... When I read some people who do that at a medium or large scale, it can be a full time job. And a risky one.

At last, in some countries, the IRS (or FISC in France, anyway, all the "eh, we need a chunk of your money" agencies) can taxe your gain too... And frauding them is quite the sport...

I'm missing a lot of things no doubt. But, when you dig a little bit, you can see that it's not that simple, and it's not risk-free (plus, chances are it won't last, even if there is always a new crypto money, maybe your current hardware won't be good at it...)

IMO, a lot of people who buying a lot of stuff right now just because it's making the news will have a bad surprise in a few months if they haven't study this domain a little...

Maybe this is a silly question but can you easily convert all those crypto currencies in to real money?

I mean, if its that easy to make 8 ~ 10 dollars a day then what is holding anybody back to just put three systems in the attic and make 10 grand a year? There is initial cost and power cost of course but you'll still make a very easy profit that is much higher than you'll get putting your money on a savings account or investing into stock (unless you bet the house maybe).

What is the catch?
I've only recently started mining and I've discovered that converting these currencies into real money isn't quite so straight forward. I'm in the UK and signed up with Coinbase, but after some reading it seems they can't deposite to UK accounts. I've now found another site that can, but they only accept Bitcoin, so I'll have to exchange my ETH, etc. to bitcoin first, then use this site to turn the bitcoin to sterling. And of course at every conversion there are charges, fees, etc... and also the potential to get scammed :unsure:

Wish me luck :LOL:

What is the catch?

It's not straightforward but it's not hard. First of all you need to have an account to an exchange and convert your stuff into BTC. Then , even in my country and my city I've found ATMs that you can use to convert yor BTC directly into cash. You'd have to be careful of conversion rates and transaction fees.

I've not cashed out yet, but I'll sure be doing that in a few weeks.

There's no major catch IMO, except as stated above there are chances that exchange rates will collapse any moment. There are also a few extra (small) costs that you will probably not have anticipated (like fees..) and there is also the increase of difficulty rate in mining. All profitability calculators that I've seen simply multiply the current profitability by the 30, 365 days. So the actual gain is always lower than their projections.

On the other hand, I'm almost certain that I'll end up with more profit than the 2.2 % my savings accounts provide here. Famous last words :)

If your fine of maybe ending up with a pile of hardware that you can no longer make money from and have a bit of spare time to look for deals on gpus and configure rigs, maybe you should be mining. You ca always sell back your hardware, so there's little risk of loosing too much.

Fun fact is that the day I started to buy stuff for my mining rig, I've been asked what I'm doing by others. Without wanting to make them do so, 3 collegues at work and 2 friends instantly joined, built rigs etc. It's funny sight to see people that just buy Mac laptops and only had a pc in highschool, now asking questions about parts, looking for deals etc

Oh and btw : I found out about BURST, a coin which you can mine by reserving space on your hard drive, instead of firing up a CPU or GPU to compute stuff. This is getting silly

Last edited:
I mean, if its that easy to make 8 ~ 10 dollars a day then what is holding anybody back to just put three systems in the attic and make 10 grand a year?

Another way, more theoretical and ideal, of putting it is that in a sense the purpose of these cryptocurrencies is to involve as many parties as possible. Because descentralization and its inherent security implications are a target for these protocols.

By design, it would be desirable that it is not easy for a few corporations to control all the infrastructure for a given coin. Hence the built-in ASIC resistance of the post - BTC currencies. Hence the fact that, when the economics allows it, anyone that lends their hardware for the network is rewarded in some fashion

[meta] mods feel free to mearge my posts, just felt my previous one was too long and posibly too boring[/meta]

Fiji might go down from DAG 170 onward, Polaris from 140. R9 390X will stay strong.
If the built-in-benchmark of Claymore Miner 9.5 is accurate, that is and drivers and/or new miner revisions will not be able to somehow fix this.

Back