What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started Divinity - Original Sin. Classical isometric RPG with turn based combat, exactly what I was looking for so I don't miss any action getting another beer or taking a smoke break! The remastered version is on sale this week on Steam, I think it's $20.

Just thought I'd give it a go before making dinner, an hour and a half later I looked at the clock!

Full 1440p support and the water effects aren't bad!
I did the same though as usual I got myself into headache about builds, etc. I found out that a lot of skills are next useless and pretty much heavy multi-classing the way too go. "'the II" seems to have nailed the best builds for the game (see his youtube channel or website).

I'm not sure I like that I wonder about trying "scales" a balance mods for the game, it may open the door to more variety in successful builds.

EDIT Or the "epic encounters" mod.

EDIT 2
Definitely "Epic encounters" seems to be a great mod, kept uptodate. Change log over EE is here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/mods/573/readmes/Epic Encounters - Gameplay Overhaul and Content Expansion_readme.txt

EDIT 3 reading through the change log... the guy (or guys) seems to have done an AWESOME jobs. I can wait trying tonight after the dreaded supermarket trip :spook:

Last edited:
Definitely "Epic encounters" seems to be a great mod, kept uptodate. Change log over EE is here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/mods/573/readmes/Epic Encounters - Gameplay Overhaul and Content Expansion_readme.txt

EDIT 3 reading through the change log... the guy (or guys) seems to have done an AWESOME jobs. I can wait trying tonight after the dreaded supermarket trip :spook:

Hmm... I'll have to check that out when I have more time to read through the entire log. Right off the bat, I noticed some things that would be good such as everybody starting with Pet Pal (I was lucky that I did, but was wondering what a pain it must be if I hadn't accidentally done that), as well as the animations in combat which sometimes move the enemies out of your target range.

I do have a question for you as you seem to be a much more experienced player (only level 5 over here! I don't get too much time to play), what does "number of uses" mean on staffs/wands? I had a fireball one, it says "Uses 3" but I've already used it three times in combat. Is that 3 different combat sessions or is it 3 times in the same combat session?

I just figured out that putting points into different spell areas does no good until you actually get a spellbook with spells in them. It's strange that you start the game with spells that you put points into, but later points give you only the ability to use spells, not the spells themselves. Makes it more challenging, but again.. just little things that it doesn't really seem to tell you.

Still fun. Did purchase DII as well and loaded it up for about 10 minutes or so and the water effects are much better than EE. Of course, that game took me by surprise immediately by only giving you a single character to start - so I built a half complete character, expecting to build a second one to balance out the team and then... nope! The game just started! Ugh! :)

Starcrawlers.

This is a dungeon crawler like the old school Wizardry, Bards Tale, and Might and Magic games except set in space in the future. Being that I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in those games back in the day, I got this since it had a nice launch discount (I think it still has the discount). I must say, I've been pleasantly surprised by how good it is.

There is surprisingly good synergy between some of the classes making theory crafting interesting party compositions fun. However, because of this, particularly well crafted parties can potentially make the game easy, even at the highest difficulty. This is particularly true for people (like me) who like to grind out levels to become supremely powerful before moving on. :p Those who want a bit more challenge should try not to grind out levels. This should allow you to remain underleveled and undergeared for the main questline instead of being overleveled and overgeared for the main questline

Main quest dungeons are all pre-made, but I think side mission dungeons are randomly generated. There's Diablo style loot generation for those that like that type of thing (I do).

It's a cheap title that brings a lot of nostalgic gameplay heavily flavored with modern touches. Having a lot of fun with it.

Regards,
SB

$19.99 on both GoG and Steam currently. Watched the video on Steam, but couldn't figure out how the combat is run? You're a three man team, right? So combat is turn-based?

Ah, so the launch discount must have expired.

You can take between 1-4 characters on any given mission. You can have up to 8 characters (at least for as far as I've gotten in the game), 7 are available at the start and 1 must be unlocked shortly after you start the game. NOTE - you have to choose 1 character to start, and have to "hire" the other 6. The unlock one you kind of get for free (trying not to spoil things).

Combat and movement are turn based. So enemies in the world move when you do, kind of like the original Rogue or Might and Magic.

Regards,
SB

Hmm... I'll have to check that out when I have more time to read through the entire log. Right off the bat, I noticed some things that would be good such as everybody starting with Pet Pal (I was lucky that I did, but was wondering what a pain it must be if I hadn't accidentally done that), as well as the animations in combat which sometimes move the enemies out of your target range.
I forgot about that with my test character...
I do have a question for you as you seem to be a much more experienced player (only level 5 over here! I don't get too much time to play), what does "number of uses" mean on staffs/wands? I had a fireball one, it says "Uses 3" but I've already used it three times in combat. Is that 3 different combat sessions or is it 3 times in the same combat session
I'm not experienced with the game I restarted through the beginning a couple time (including stupidly erasing a save). I don't know the answer to that question though it may not be important, some guide I read for the EE stated that pretty spells/special arrows/grenades are much better than the wand/staffs granted spells.
I just figured out that putting points into different spell areas does no good until you actually get a spellbook with spells in them. It's strange that you start the game with spells that you put points into, but later points give you only the ability to use spells, not the spells themselves. Makes it more challenging, but again.. just little things that it doesn't really seem to tell you.
Some spells are rare, I know that but I don't know which ones :80: ignorance is indeed a bliss lol
Still fun. Did purchase DII as well and loaded it up for about 10 minutes or so and the water effects are much better than EE. Of course, that game took me by surprise immediately by only giving you a single character to start - so I built a half complete character, expecting to build a second one to balance out the team and then... nope! The game just started! Ugh! :)
I always over think for that type of games (and without much success I much acknowledge...) that is why I now read about them before investing serious time into them. It does not help that I usually try weird things/combinations.
Epic Encounters seems to allow for less hybrid characters by making some abilities more relevant to the gameplay. What I gathered from the power gaming guide I read was that most sucessful builds focus only on skills out 8 skills schools in the games and getting a little of almost everything leaving aside most of the others skills.

Last edited:
OK, I recently finished the Surge but it just got patched so I took a look at it out of curiosity since I might do NG+ on it after I've finished at least one playthrough of Starcrawlers.

This addition gave me a chuckle.

A kill switch button combination for players being stuck has been added (Press 'LB', 'LT', 'RB', 'RT', 'LS' and 'RS' at the same time, 'F4' is the default binding on the keyboard)

For keyboard and mouse users, killing yourself just got easier. ;) Amusement aside, this was needed as there's some places where you could get stuck in world geometry with no way out.

Regards,
SB

I am starting some games that I owned in my previous pc ,desktop, which couldn't run them in their whole glory. I have begun playing crisis 2 with everything on ultra (+high res textures) and boy is it glorious looking . You really can't tell that it's an "old" game, it looks fantastic !!!

Reset my character on Elite Dangerous to start fresh with an online buddy who is new to it. We've been doing all sorts of stuff, from bounty hunting in the rings of planets, gathering data on terraformable or metal rich planets, to meeting up with engineers who can pimp our rides once we jump through some hoops for them. The game has come a long way since launch, and by the looks of it will go a long way further. After random sightings over the past few months and cover ups by the various governments in the galaxy, the cat is finally out of the bag.... the Thargoids are back!

After getting back into Elite Dangerous on my old DK2 and being wowed by VR all over again I bit the bullet on a CV1 last night, so today I've been blasting my way through some other VR games. Superhot and Robo Recall have been the most memorable thus far. They both do a great job of making me feel like a total badass, right up until I have to stop because I realise how out of shape I've become. Definitely going to set up a larger play area in a spare room and get an extra sensor for 360 degree tracking.

Besides that it's been more Rocket League. Occasionally entering tournaments with a couple of mates, but in general playing a lot of ranked and developing our team's overall rotations (essentially where the people not on the ball should be). The game is super deep when it comes to strategy and mechanical skill, which is great as the concept is so very simple. It brings me much joy.

After getting back into Elite Dangerous on my old DK2 and being wowed by VR all over again I bit the bullet on a CV1 last night, so today I've been blasting my way through some other VR games. Superhot and Robo Recall have been the most memorable thus far. They both do a great job of making me feel like a total badass, right up until I have to stop because I realise how out of shape I've become. Definitely going to set up a larger play area in a spare room and get an extra sensor for 360 degree tracking.

Yeah Robo Recall is awesome, my fav VR game so far. I've not played Superhot so can't comment there but my next VR experience has to be that new Startrek simulator.

Yes! I got that too. Haven't played with other folks yet, just had a quick go alone to familiarise myself with the controls. From what I've seen it reminds me a lot of "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" in that the interaction with the world itself is extremely simple but all the fun comes from being a good team. This is certainly not a good solo game unless perhaps you are a true die hard Trekkie. I mean, I've seen all the series multiple times but the single player had me itching to go do something else.

Rec Room looks like it could be a heap of fun too.

Games like this really make me want to pull the trigger on a Vive. Some of the VR games just look like I remember video games as a child - being pure fun.

$19.99 on both GoG and Steam currently. Watched the video on Steam, but couldn't figure out how the combat is run? You're a three man team, right? So combat is turn-based?
It's 25% off on GoG, so it costs 13.27€ now.

https://www.gog.com/game/starcrawlers

When I read Might and Magic I knew I had to get it asap. But it wasn't Heroes of Might and Magic but Might and Magic, so I am not familiar with it. However, I liked the gameplay video, there is some Heroes of Might and Magic in the turn based combat.

I am currently playing Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed and The Witcher 3 PC for the most part.

Played through "I Expect You to Die" and had a great time. It's an escape room game. Like most reviews said it feels too short for the price, but I am interested in playing again to see if I can get the speed run achievements for each scene, and to find all the collectables. Two minutes is going to be hard time to beat on a couple of them at least. There is also one developer commentary bubble on the final level that I haven't figured out how to even reach yet, so that's going to be fun to work out.

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game. The intro too was particularly well done - a decently lengthy VR trip through James Bond style opening credits, complete with appropriate soundtrack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back