Intel i9 7900x CPUs

Intel Skylake-X and Skylake-SP Utilize Mesh Architecture for Inter-Chip Communication

Negligible latency differences in accessing different cache banks allows software to treat the distributed cache banks as one large unified last level cache. As a result, application developers do not have to worry about variable latency in accessing different cache banks, nor do they need to optimize or recompile code to get a significant performance boosts out of their applications.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processo...ze-Mesh-Architecture-Inter-Chip-Communication

How... Can it perform worse than 6950x with a 200MHz advantage in a multithreaded task?

cpujquki.png

What o_O

How... Can it perform worse than 6950x with a 200MHz advantage in a multithreaded task?

cpujquki.png

What o_O

Actually It is affected in a same way somewhat that Ryzen at launch ..with software plateform and motherboard bios who seems really not ready yet.

It's worse in several tests in comparison to the 6950x, even gaming tests.

Sorry, the time i finish my edit, you had allready respond..

Actually It is affected in a same way somewhat that Ryzen at launch (even way worst i will say ) ..with software plateform and motherboard bios who seems really not ready yet. A simple bios update can make VrMark at 4000 points goes up to 10K points..

I will quote HH ( Guru ), who will not do the review before NDA lift: Much like what I am experiencing with our test-setup the X299 platform still needs a lot of tweaks and updates to get perf up-to snuff.

Normally theres an NDA fixed, it seems both site have just acquire a sample in the wild, so no NDA for it ( it is discutable )..

Take into consideration that both Bit-tech and Hexus released review before NDA lifted meaning they have borrowed these from other sources, and in turn means we have no clue the status of the CPU and motherboard/BIOS/etc.

Some discrepencies can be seen with Bit-tech with its voltage-frequency-temp that stand out much more than Hexus; possibly this is an example of an old 'bug' where some motherboards pushed too much voltage/generated greater heat for the CPU *shrug*.
Hexus however managed 1.25V with the Noctua D15S and 4.7GHz all cores and then AIO when increasing voltage towards 1.3V, which fits more in line with Der8auer (who tested multiple CPUs at the motherboard manufacturer) and also OverclockersUK (notable retailer) where 8Pack has also tested multiple Skylake-X CPUs that importantly aren't review samples.
I would think 1.25V is the absolute ceiling for best and large air coolers though and most would prefer a bit lower voltage.
Der8auer also mentioned that while in his video he tested a good selected sample where he hit 5GHz with AIO, it was not actually the best sample owned by the motherboard manufacturer but yeah was still a selected chip.

For now Bit-tech stands out as more of an outlier to the other sources for information especially relative to 6950X, so need to weight that until we get the actual reviews and fingers crossed some then testing retail ones as well.
There has been at least one BIOS update recently available for the new platform when reading Hexus and its influence on Warhammer game.
Cheers

Last edited:
Der8auer tested a delidded chip on a heavily air conditioned room on pretty much perfect conditions (open air, binned CPU, liquid metal between die/IHS). This is also the same guy that is trying to sell you his delidding kit for Skylake-X. NDA should lift sometime this week or early next week so we'll know for sure if that was a one off.

It's worse in several tests in comparison to the 6950x, even gaming tests.
Seems that games really liked that huge inclusive L3 cache Intel had. i9 L3 is smaller (per core) and non-inclusive like Ryzen. As many people expected, Ryzen's uncore was/is the reason for lower gaming performance. If these i9 benchmarks are valid, this points out to the same direction.

Seems that games really liked that huge inclusive L3 cache Intel had. i9 L3 is smaller (per core) and non-inclusive like Ryzen. As many people expected, Ryzen's uncore was/is the reason for lower gaming performance. If these i9 benchmarks are valid, this points out to the same direction.

I don't think its that simple. Look at the Bit-Tech results on Cinebench and compare it to Hexus. Also see 6950X results. Most of the 6950X results in CB15 are 1800-1850 points. Bit-Tech's 6950X is quite a bit better at 2150. While, the 7900X for the two sites are quite similar.

Hexus also notes earlier BIOS versions having significantly(like less than half) performance for some of the tests.

Wait for release.

Take into consideration that both Bit-tech and Hexus released review before NDA lifted meaning they have borrowed these from other sources, and in turn means we have no clue the status of the CPU and motherboard/BIOS/etc.

Some discrepencies can be seen with Bit-tech with its voltage-frequency-temp that stand out much more than Hexus; possibly this is an example of an old 'bug' where some motherboards pushed too much voltage/generated greater heat for the CPU *shrug*.
Hexus however managed 1.25V with the Noctua D15S and 4.7GHz all cores and then AIO when increasing voltage towards 1.3V, which fits more in line with Der8auer (who tested multiple CPUs at the motherboard manufacturer) and also OverclockersUK (notable retailer) where 8Pack has also tested multiple Skylake-X CPUs that importantly aren't review samples.
I would think 1.25V is the absolute ceiling for best and large air coolers though and most would prefer a bit lower voltage.
Der8auer also mentioned that while in his video he tested a good selected sample where he hit 5GHz with AIO, it was not actually the best sample owned by the motherboard manufacturer but yeah was still a selected chip.

For now Bit-tech stands out as more of an outlier to the other sources for information especially relative to 6950X, so need to weight that until we get the actual reviews and fingers crossed some then testing retail ones as well.
There has been at least one BIOS update recently available for the new platform when reading Hexus and its influence on Warhammer game.
Cheers

For what i know, the consensus over motherboard manufacturer and reviewers who got the chips, is something like 4.6-, 4.7ghz OC with high end air cooling / All in one LCS.. .. who is quite good even if i somewhat i doubt it is much practicable on air cooling for long run. with H2o, temperature of the liquid will increase continuously and heat exchange reduced.

For air it will be the same, specially if the "ambient " air increase.

Anyway this is on all core and an excellent result on 10 cores.. Now the big problem seems the temperature.. ( high end H2o ( selfmade ) willl surely increase the headroom ( if you can keep the CPU around 70°C )....
It is too bad i dont have anymore my Phase change units ( -60°C on CPU )... will be fun to run some test on it and see how it goes ( same for Ryzen )

Well lets wait the review and see how it goes.

They are doing a separate video for thermals and overclocking.

Last edited:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11550...-core-i9-7900x-i7-7820x-and-i7-7800x-tested/3
One of the big things that Intel is suggesting about the new AVX-512 unit in the Skylake-SP core is that because of the wide-ranging capabilities, as long as the compilers come on board, it is easier to promote regular code to AVX-512 than it was to SSE/AVX. Fundamentally Intel wants to see the compilers get on board and for the faster throughput of regular software to increase performance. If anyone has recompiled old code under a new compiler and had a performance uplift will know exactly what this might entail (recently POV-Ray recompiled their code for the first time in years, moving from VS2010 to VS2015 – instant 15-25% speed up on the newest microarchitectures).

As mentioned above, the AVX-512 unit is per core, and although more aimed at the enterprise crowd, regular software might take a while to catch up. For anyone on the consumer side who wants to play with AVX-512, it is worth reiterating that there is a separation between the Skylake-X processors: the 6-core and 8-core parts only support one FMA per core, whereas the 10-core supports two FMAs per core.

For anyone on the consumer side who wants to play with AVX-512, it is worth reiterating that there is a separation between the Skylake-X processors: the 6-core and 8-core parts only support one FMA per core, whereas the 10-core supports two FMAs per core.

That heavily sucks, AVX 512 is deliberately compromised in the 6 and 8 core, while they share the same LCC die as the 10 core. (LCC is 6,8,10, 12 core)

Back