Microsoft Original XBox Duke Controller Returns

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
the Duke is back, rumour has it is going to cost around 150€.

hyperkin-duke-xbox-controller-9123-003.jpg

hyperkin-duke-xbox-controller-9127-004.jpg

hyperkin-duke-xbox-controller-9143-007.jpg

mwx8frd.gif

Eh.
I would prefer it if they brought back the actual controller and just added a connector-adapter and compatibility software. That way it would work for XBSX and I could get some replacements for my original Dukes (which are starting to falter).

Eh.
I would prefer it if they brought back the actual controller and just added a connector-adapter and compatibility software. That way it would work for XBSX and I could get some replacements for my original Dukes (which are starting to falter).
some people still prefer the original Duke. Xbox was my first console but it was purchased in December 2004, the Xbox Crystal model. I think the controller wasn't the duke, despite the fact that buttons disposition looked similar, because there was a black and white button, which were later transformed into lb and rb

I know many of you have fond memories of that controller but I remember holding it for the first time and saying "what the hell have they been thinking"
Everything about it in my book is terrible *runs away and hides*

I know many of you have fond memories of that controller but I remember holding it for the first time and saying "what the hell have they been thinking"

I dont know if I'd go that far, but the modern incarnations are vastly superior in every way. Not sure why you'd want this.

Bad controller returns. Why is MS playing the golden oldy hits these days so much? The OG Xbox was not evena widely popular console, weren't the sales like 30m and 29.5m were for Halo.

I agree. It was entirely way too large, even for my monster hands.

Bad controller returns. Why is MS playing the golden oldy hits these days so much? The OG Xbox was not evena widely popular console, weren't the sales like 30m and 29.5m were for Halo.
Microsoft isn't doing this. They only allowed Seamus Blackley to bring it back. I think it would be neat to have one for Crimson Skies but it seems the price will make it too rich for my blood. Rather get me a custom Design Labs controller.

Tommy McClain

I never considered it a bad controller back then. It had actually a nice heavy but stable feel and afair the rumble radiated through the whole hand in a uniform way than just focused around the smaller area of today's controllers.

I agree. It was entirely way too large, even for my monster hands.
And the button layouts did not make sense either to me
1) For starters why are the face buttons skewed diagonically instead of being more symmetric in terms of shape and in placement? And why so concave? It makes the face buttons less intuitive and harder to map due to their diagonal nature where each button is not necesarilly next or below/above each other. It was also very impractical for fighting games where you place your fingers instead of your thump.
2) It has two triggers but where did the bumper buttons go?
3) Oh here they are. Two weirdly shaped black and white buttons. Tiny too....placed where you would least expect them. Diagonal and concave again. For no reason.
4) The d-pad was so inaccurate it can be called anything BUT directional.
5) Why did the sticks have different topds? Everything on the controller was uninuitive and assymetrical you had to design yourself around the controller instead of the opposite

1200px-Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg

@Nesh my recollection, which is obviously foggy this many years and drinks later, is that the Duke never had bumpers. This made the white and black buttons effectively act as bumpers, which caused problems in some games that actually mapped actions to them. I think I remember dying/messing up many times because of not being able to easily press those buttons because they were too far out of the way and should have only been used for things that essentially were already mapped to the start and back buttons.

Yeah the Duke & the S Controller didn't have bumpers. The Black & White buttons were originally designed to serve as chat/push-to-talk buttons, if my memory serves me right. They weren't really designed to be used all the time like the 4 face buttons.

Tommy McClain

Man, forgot completely about that. Wonder how it would it feel to play that again with the Duke.

Tommy McClain

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Man, forgot completely about that. Wonder how it would it feel to play that again with the Duke.

Your hands will be in extreme pain in under 5 minutes. :LOL:

@Nesh my recollection, which is obviously foggy this many years and drinks later, is that the Duke never had bumpers. This made the white and black buttons effectively act as bumpers, which caused problems in some games that actually mapped actions to them. I think I remember dying/messing up many times because of not being able to easily press those buttons because they were too far out of the way and should have only been used for things that essentially were already mapped to the start and back buttons.
Exactly

Back