Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

Rubbish. They held negotiations behind closed doors of some form. They didn't come to an agreement. MS announced cross-platform play with the people who'd partner with them which didn't include Sony. The media then asked why of both of them. Sony gave a nonsense PR response. The media should also follow up with an iOS cross-platform query, because this announcement doesn't support tablet users. If MS is going to be billing through XBox Store, no wonder!

It is not even a negotiations, I highly doubt there was even a discussion during more than 30 seconds... From a corporate point of view it is a non sense, give customer data to a concurrent, it is just stupid and I am sure Microsoft know it, the Xbox division is not a Sony partner it is a concurrent...

Rubbish. They held negotiations behind closed doors of some form. They didn't come to an agreement. MS announced cross-platform play with the people who'd partner with them which didn't include Sony. The media then asked why of both of them. Sony gave a nonsense PR response. The media should also follow up with an iOS cross-platform query, because this announcement doesn't support tablet users. If MS is going to be billing through XBox Store, no wonder!
Phil in giantbomb interview said they don't bill through xbox, that stays on the platform

Phil in giantbomb interview said they don't bill through xbox, that stays on the platform

They don't need to bill, they give some information to Microsoft. If you think Microsoft will not know it is PSN customer you are naive...

It is one of the argument of Rocket League dev for defending cross play on PS4, they use their own server...

Last edited by a moderator:

Giantbomb interview says the xbox live login is used to track your content as you move between platforms, but the content is still sold through the native store on the device, like the Nintendo store, or whatever it's called. They're not putting the Xbox Live Store on the Nintendo Switch.

I was working 10 years ago for a telecom carrier and they had a problem with customer data theft sold to a concurrent it was hurtful for them...

Giantbomb interview says the xbox live login is used to track your content as you move between platforms, but the content is still sold through the native store on the device, like the Nintendo store, or whatever it's called. They're not putting the Xbox Live Store on the Nintendo Switch.

It is not a question of billing, you need to give some information to create your Xbox Live account, probably the same information than customer give for the PSN and Sony want to keep this information for them and this is simply logic and how works every company... It is not only in videogame company it could have been pepsi and coca cola or Apple and Google...

It is not even a negotiations, I highly doubt there was even a discussion during more than 30 seconds... From a corporate point of view it is a non sense, give customer data to a concurrent, it is just stupid and I am sure Microsoft know it, the Xbox division is not a Sony partner it is a concurrent...

No offense, but you have no idea how long the discussions could have been, or what terms were discussed. If Sony has a valid reason for not accepting the terms, then come out and say so. There's got to be a better answer than something cynical like saying it's for the safety of children when everyone knows that's bullshit.

Without any biling information I can know this is PSN customer begin to do prepare marketing campaign for him and so on... He will enter into the Xbox ecosystem and this one of the reason Sony is not open to negociate at all...

It is not a question of billing, you need to give some information to create your Xbox Live account, probably the same information than customer give for the PSN and Sony want to keep this information for them and this is simply logic and how works every company... It is not only in videogame company it could have been pepsi and coca cola or Apple and Google...

I think all you need to create an Xbox Live account is your name, address and an email address. Why would Sony want to protect that information? People can create Xbox Live accounts, minecraft or not. They may have one from previously owning an Xbox, or from PC. If the person is voluntarily creating the account, then what is the issue for Sony?

Without any biling information I can know this is PSN customer begin to do prepare marketing campaign for him and so on... He will enter into the Xbox ecosystem and this one of the reason Sony is not open to negociate at all...

The way to retain and gain customers is to offer a better product, period.

I think all you need to create an Xbox Live account is your name, address and an email address. Why would Sony want to protect that information? People can create Xbox Live accounts, minecraft or not. They may have one from previously owning an Xbox, or from PC. If the person is voluntarily creating the account, then what is the issue for Sony?

You only play on a PS4 why will you create an Xbox account...

The way to retain and gain customers is to offer a better product, period.

Not only this, there is something call the network effect and being by far the leader Sony can use it. If someone want to play Rocket league on console with friends and he does not have a console there is much more chance his friends have a PS4 and he will buy a PS4...

It is a corporation there aren't here for the players they are after our wallet...

Not only this, there is something call the network effect and being by far the leader Sony can use of it. If someone want to play Rocket league on console with friends and he does not have a console there is much more chance his friends have a PS4 and he will takes a PS4...

It is a corporation there aren't here for the players they are after our wallet...

No shit.

I'm not saying blocking Xbox Live on Playstation isn't a valid reason. Just come out and say what the real reason is. Say Microsofts terms are to push Xbox Live onto our platform and we won't accept that. Done. People will understand. Don't make shit up.

No shit.

I'm not saying blocking Xbox Live on Playstation isn't a valid reason. Just come out and say what the real reason is. Say Microsofts terms are to push Xbox Live onto our platform and we won't accept that. Done. People will understand. Don't make shit up.

Why they would tell the true reason damaging the brand.. I think it is better to tell some bullshit than said the truth... This is why public relations are existing into every corporation of the world..

And keep the message #4the player

They can maybe change to #4thechildren

Why they would tell the true reason damaging the brand.. I think it is better to tell some bullshit than said the truth...
You think the response to 'save the children' is positive?! You think gamers at large are that dumb that they'll buy into such bullshit and agree that their beloved PS4 playing Jonny should be kept safe from the XB and Switch owning potty-mouthed cyberbullies out there? C'mon, no-one's buying this. Sony have just ended up with egg on their face. See comments here for example.

As for not entering into a discussion,
We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance.
Unless you're saying he's lying here too and there was no discussion, MS and Sony sat down and talked about what was required and Sony eventually said 'no.'

You think the response to 'save the children' is positive?! You think gamers at large are that dumb that they'll buy into such bullshit and agree that their beloved PS4 playing Jonny should be kept safe from the XB and Switch owning potty-mouthed cyberbullies out there? C'mon, no-one's buying this. Sony have just ended up with egg on their face. See comments here for example.
LTTP party. I don't follow Sony's concern. Is it because they can't take penal action, like bans or suspension, against a malicious player on another network? :???:

I still can't imagine playing Minecraft with a controller. :runaway:

As for not entering into a discussion,
Unless you're saying he's lying here too and there was no discussion, MS and Sony sat down and talked about what was required and Sony eventually said 'no.'

Because you think there was a chance they will say yes during the discussion, you can come knowing you will say no. Cross play was not an option and will not be without a big turaround of PS4 sales... It is PR...

And you think some minor forum discussion will change the destiny of this generation, it is better to say bullshit than say we are greedy..

In GAF the topic about the subject is not very big for example.

If It is hurts the PS4 sales they will authorize cross play for the moment it is not important for them.

How is this nonsense any different than requiring an Ea account to play online EA Games in consoles??
Is Minecraft a Ms game? the persistent stuff uses Ms servers? Whatever social online aspect of Ms is called Xbox live?
never mind

Since when EA is a concurrent of Sony... Minecraft is a ms game working with the Xbox Live ecosystem for cross play directly from Spencer interview with Giantbomb...

No shit.

True. Alternately MS should be more honest and stop playing the innocent altruistic card. Everyone is making a decision that is tied to business, no one is doing anything to help or hurt any players.

True. Alternately MS should be more honest and stop playing the innocent altruistic card. Everyone is making a decision that is tied to business, no one is doing anything to help or hurt any players.

More honest how? It's not like MS has asserted that Sony wants unfavorable conditions or basically being a douche about the situation. They simply said Sony refused. It was Sony that made the circumstance worse with some vague statement about concern for children that could easily be misconstrued as diss towards MS. It was a statement that most found to be unbelievable given that Nintendo is on board and is perceived to be more sensitive to such issue due to the fact their audience skews younger than other platforms. Plus, PS cross play with the PC space (which is notorious for bad behavior) has occurred since the PS3 which makes their statement come across as dishonest.

However, a little digging would show you that Sony has always been anal about safety aspect of crossplay and handles the functionality with heavy hands. Sony in the past would either require no cross chat functionality, all chat functionality would fall under Sony services and/or games had to use filters approved by Sony.

Sony could of been diplomatic and kept it simple like MS or could of easily, clearly and concisely explain their concerns and how they treat the functionality historically without creating a lot of assumptions and negativity.

Last edited:
Outside of Sony's BS excuse for not having cross-play, there could be a real concern at Sony about their IS (Information Systems) being at risk. Sony has been targeted on multiple levels with security breaches, from PlayStation user accounts, executive accounts, and even Hollywood personalities. And more than likely their ITM/IS security teams and organizational leaders may not want that extra layer of potential threats. Why would they risk their information/data systems, for a handful of games, that could potentially cost the company millions?

Or, maybe Sony just wants to keep the competition at bay ...away from their user-base. Which is also understandable for a company that had to claw themselves out of major debt, even from going the way of the dodo bird.

But seriously, this noise over cross-play will only become relevant when it hits Sony in their pocketbooks. Either by a mass exodus of PS4 users, or PS4 sales coming to a crawl. Which I see neither happening...

Last edited:
Back