Until Dawn Rush of Blood ...

... easily ranks as my top pick of all the PSVR experiences I've had so far. It puts you right into a haunted roller coaster - and make no mistake, it does turn into a speedy roller coaster with near vertical drops every now and then - which boasts fantastically designed and imaginative levels, well choreographed jump scares, and a lovely assortment of things to shoot. It's trying really hard to cater to everyone's personal brand of phobia, so few people are going to feel left out;) It takes maybe two hours to complete, but like any good lightgun shooter, it's rather replayable if you're into chasing highscores. I hear there's a couple of secrets to uncover as well. Like in the original Until Dawn, there's supposedly an alternative ending or something.
It's also very easy on the eyes. Like most Sony offerings which aren't Drive Club, Rush of Blood looks "clean" (in an appropriately grimy sort of way) and very detailed.

At 20€, it's also among the few games for PSVR which do not feel ridiculously overpriced. On the contrary, I think it's a pretty great deal.

If VR horror is too much for you, you might wanna give Rez Infinite a go instead. At 30€ it's maybe a wee bit more expensive than it oughta be - Rez is not a lengthy game to begin with, and for whatever strange reason they decided to do away with the leaderboards for this particular re-release -, but the newly created AreaX is almost worth the price of admission alone. I want a full Rez game looking like that. Not that the old Rez hasn't aged gracefully, but Area X's Unreal Engine-powered particle extravaganza is truly a sight to behold.

Last edited:
Forgot about mentioning the move controllers. Tracking seems to work very well for me. It's not the HTC Vive's motion controller and it never will be, but it works perfectly fine. I'd imagine the little glow sticks are absolutely vital for the experience, but I haven't tried playing it with a regular controller.

Kinda makes me wanna play the original again now, it was such a scare fest and I love it.

The original ? You mean Until Dawn ? Yes... easily #2 in my list of best PS4 games (#1 is of course UC4). Wish they could turn something like Until Dawn into a VR game. Hopefully the coming Resident Evil VII will do that.

I hate the horror genre but love on rails shooters. What I saw of the beginning, the shooting seemed quite excellent, so perhaps I can deal with it, though I could see myself getting nauseous.

Bought it today but haven't yet had time to play. Tried the demo earlier and it was almost too scary at places, not sure if I'll be able to play the whole game :/ I wish it were more cartoony and cute.
I can watch pretty scary movies, no problem. But this and the Kitchen demo were almost too much on my nerves, not to mention what the whole RE7 game will be like in VR :oops: I need to raise my tolerance for horror in VR.
Speaking of RE7, is the earlier demo playable in VR? I remember there being talk that the movement in some RE7 VR demo was making people sick, but as the Kitchen demo has no movement from place to place...

It really does feel like a proper roller coaster when you're in it. Almost feels like it in your tummy as well (which makes no sense, but hey). It even has its fair shair of oh-so-sweet coaster drops, and evading obstacles using your whole body at high speeds is super satisfying. In terms of VR nausea it should definitely be on the manageable side for most people. For me this thing is actually GotY material. I love rail shooters, and this is one of the best I've played. And just like with all the other VR games, the "this would be a just regular-ass, nothing-special gaming experience without VR" argument is completely asinine, because, well, the headset is an integral part of the experience. Makes no sense to take it out of the equation.

Really sceptical about the whole "let a bunch of people decide the outcome of any given situation" type of design. Just makes no sense for a game in my head. If I have little to control over the manner in which a game proceeds because I constantly get overruled by a bunch of tits sitting besides me, doesn't it sort of ceise to be a game. Telltale tried something similar with Batman, and it was bollocks.

Looks lovely, though.

Back