Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

When was the last time a Nintendo, iphone, android, xbox and windows players all played together?
So you can't do this with those massively popular internet based games, that I see ad's for? Why do these ad's pop up on my phone if I cant play them on it

I suspect that the reasons are quite different than ones given by Sony in public or it is simply a case of not knowing what kind of issues or how to handle them if they occur..
Strangely Sony already supports cross play between PC and PS4.
So it must have something to do with people of influence at Sony not wanting to mix the PS customer with the competition for whatever silly business reasons

Yeah Im going to be really mad when Sony starts staging protests in Japan and having gamers holding signs like this...

XBOX immigrants go home!!!
Stop taking jobs from the locals

Make Japanese consoles great again!!!

Right wing protestors are pretty much doing this for foreigners already so filthy gaijin consoles might be next ;)

from what i can tell, PS will get updates but may be after which makes sense from a development point of view.
I was thinking more like the 4k upgrade and other future releases like perhaps a ps5 edition and so on. The game is popular enough that MS can just steer it to their platforms , tablets , phones and switch

So more and more games supports cross-play while leaving PS4 alone..

Mine craft, rocket League, canceled tekken 7 cross play...

Any idea of the technical reason for this phenomenon?

It seems sony doesn't have a problem with Steam X PS4. Maybe related with how sony already worked together with valve since ps3 era?

So more and more games supports cross-play while leaving PS4 alone..

Mine craft, rocket League, canceled tekken 7 cross play...

Any idea of the technical reason for this phenomenon?

It seems sony doesn't have a problem with Steam X PS4. Maybe related with how sony already worked together with valve since ps3 era?

No technical reason, just Sony business reasons.

No technical reason, just Sony business reasons.
Didn't they say business reasons, but went on to say that they have a responsibility to the kids on their platform.

Think of the kids meme!
Taken over from Nintendo.

Sony have a massive lead which is partially self sustaining on the basis that, as far as multiplayer games go, people buy a new console to play with their friends.

Why would Sony want to give this advantage away?

It would be ideal, but it's not really fair to expect that from a company in a highly competitive market.

No-one knows how well the X1X will do and it would be unwise to give that console another advantage so close to its release. Sony need to be able to say "the PS4Pro isn't the most powerful console, but it's still where your friends are."

Maybe it will happen one day, but it's hard to settle on the best timing of such a move. Maybe a year after the X1X has been on the market? They'd know its sales momentum and would only be a year away from launching the PS5 to take back the performance crown. But then the XboxTwo will only be a year away and will have the advantage of greater performance whilst its only direct competitor doesn't have a real advantage in terms of a greater install base.

I'm coming to the conclusion that, as long as Sony and Microsoft are locked in competition in the same space, merging the online communities can only ever be detrimental to the dominant company.

Maybe a means of making it more enticing to all parties would be to insist that an individual must pay for Xbox Live or PSN if they want to play with members of those communities? Even then though, the sales momentum and market dominance issue still remains prohibitive.

games should have more control over MP I think, if you have dedicated servers it should open you to do this sort of thing.
at some point the Final Fantasy MMO was running on the PS2 (dominant console), 360 and PC.

Why would Sony want to give this advantage away?

It would be ideal, but it's not really fair to expect that from a company in a highly competitive market.
i can fully understand their business reasons for not wanting to do it.
with Nintendo even doing it now it does put then in a place that doesn't look good. But I'm sure their more than fine with that given their current position in the market.

for some games it could be the difference between make or break though, with an expanded player base making all the difference, and also being able to keep the game alive for longer.

Maybe so, but Final Fantasy XI was never a system seller. Also, Sony learned a lot about online over the course of the PS3's life and got serious about it by the launch of the PS4, so I don't think their behaviour during the PS2 era is indicative of how they should behave now.

i can fully understand their business reasons for not wanting to do it.
with Nintendo even doing it now it does put then in a place that doesn't look good. But I'm sure their more than fine with that given their current position in the market.

for some games it could be the difference between make or break though, with an expanded player base making all the difference, and also being able to keep the game alive for longer.

True on both matters. But Nintendo aren't competing in the same space as Sony and Microsoft, so I don't think it's a valid comparison, but that comparison can still be perceived in the wider public and will be capitalised upon by Microsoft.

The second point you make is the one that makes this the greatest shame. I've started up a few smaller multiplayer games and failed to find a game, and another potential 20 million or so players would help.

Back