Nintendo Switch Technical discussion [SOC = Tegra X1]

THQ bet big on the Wii-U with a large investment in uDraw, a drawing game that included a drawing tablet and stylus. They invested a lot into that game and had a lot of them produced expecting high demand. All that hardware meant the up front investment was incredibly high. When the Wii-U failed to take off, and sales of their game was way under projections as a result, they were in trouble.

They were already in a bit of a rough state prior to that, but nothing they couldn't have recovered from. uDraw went on sale at the end of 2011, in 2012 they defaulted on a loan of 50 million USD and were desperately trying to avoid bankruptcy.

That's when they went to Humble Bundle to try to raise some money by putting their games into the Humble THQ Bundle. That raised 5 million USD which was not nearly enough to pay off their debts and subsequently filed chapter 11 bankruptcy just a few days after the sale ended.

Regards,
SB
I admittedly had to go look that one up... I had recalled THQ going out of business, but it's not something I've ever linked to the Wii U.

According to El Wikipedia, the uDraw tablet was released for the Wii in late 2010 in the US (with the PS360 versions following in 2011). The Wii U didn't come out for another 2 years. In fact THQ discontinued the uDraw 9 months before the Wii U came out.

So unless I'm missing something, the Wii U couldn't have anything to do with THQ going out of business. At best, their sole game published to the Wii U, the multi-platform Darksiders II, didn't save the company.

Edit: And just following the Wikipedia citations, it wasn't even the Wii version that sank THQ. That version sold a million units. According to Eurogamer, It was the PS360 version that bombed. In which case we have this all backwards: it was backing Sony and Microsoft that killed THQ :eek:

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind losing some effects and what not to hit 60fps 1080p. Maybe they'll give us that option eventually?

I think the most impressive game seen so far is Mario + Rabbids. Splatoon is also looking very nice now, while before it looked pretty much exactly like the Wii U game. Yoshi looks okay visually, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the full game. Weird seeing one of the Nintendo's studios is using UE4. I'm actually curious to see what engine Mario Odyssey is using. Sometimes it looks like UE4, but sometimes it looks like 3D World's engine.

I kind of wish we would see something with more realistic visuals on the system so we can get an idea of what it can do there.

Rokect League is going to run at 720p on Swtich, even docked : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...h_rocket_league_on_switch_docked_and_undocked

It runs at 1080p on both XB1/PS4.

So, either the undocked mode will get a serious downgrade or it will run at a lower resolution.

This time, it should have a complete graphic parity (resolution aside) with the PS4/XB1 in the docked mode.

Or maybe they just didn't want to bother with double QA and that is why they're sticking to 720p.

Not sure what to think with Rocket League being 720p docked and portable. To my eye its not exactly a super demanding game. Fifa 18 is 1080p docked and Rocket League sticks to 720p? Regardless, I think it will be pretty popular on Switch, and cross play with PC and Xbox is awesome.

The Snowdrop engine from Ubisoft seems to play nice with Switch. Mario+Rabbids looks excellent.

Fifa 18 on Switch is taking a little criticism for not being on par with PS4/X1, but who really expected that? Regardless, from some E3 player impressions it sounds like the Switch build plays very nice, and even in the graphics department looks similar to the first builds of Fifa for PS4/X1 before they were using Frostbite. The fact that EA was willing to put in the work to create a custom Switch engine makes me think that perhaps Nintendo and EA worked out a pretty nice deal for this game. It seems unlikely for EA to put in this much effort if they were not confident that Fifa would be coming to Switch for years to come.

Mario Odyssey looks like its going to be a blast to play, but I am not blow away with the visuals. To me it seems to be 720p docked, and a lot of textures are lower resolution. It also depends on the area, some look great and some looked pretty meh to me. Mario's animations on the other hand are top notch. Perhaps the size and scope of these kingdoms is really pushing the limits of the hardware. It hasnt been confirmed to use Unreal 4, but it screams Unreal 4 in my opinion.

Splatoon 2 runs at 1080p 60fps...

It's weird trying to figure what engines are being used and what performance they should be able to hit when it's a seperate performance tier altogether from Xbox One/PS4..

Splatoon 2 runs at 1080p 60fps...

It's weird trying to figure what engines are being used and what performance they should be able to hit when it's a seperate performance tier altogether from Xbox One/PS4..

Where did you see that? It was 720p when they did the Test Fire.

Edit:

Never mind, I see they announced it during a Tree House event. Nice!

Splatoon looks like it got a graphics upgrade too. It seems Nintendo does the visual polishing towards the end of development. The treehouse devs themselves even said that textures and what not are constantly changing every time they test Mario. Then the Xenoblade guys made sure to say that the game is still being polished up and what we were seeing wasn't final. Two months ago Splatoon looked the same as the Wii U game tbh.

I do hope EA gets frostbyte running on the Switch. We know it can be done (it runs on worse hardware iirc), but I'm guessing they didn't have time to get it going. I imagine quite a few companies are keeping their eye on the Switch right now due to it's early success. If the Switch holds up and we might see a slow but steady trickle of support over time.

I do wish Nintendo would try to get some more mature themed games on their system. With them it's kind of a yin and yang situation. They have way to much yang (colorful games for everyone), but not much in the yin department (more mature themed games). I'm not even talking blood and gore stuff, but things more like they did with the Gamecube (Eternal Darkness, Geist, etc). While their games are for everyone, some people are put off by colorful games for whatever reason (I prefer them tbh).

After watching some direct feed video of Splatoon 2 at e3, its easy to see they have improved it quite a bit since the Test Fire. The lighting and shadow system seems to have received a nice upgrade over the original. The bump to 1080p did surprise me. Not because of what the game is, but because the Test Fire was just a couple months ago and ran at 720p with some dynamic resolution scaling being used. I always loved the look of Splatoon anyway, but they have really polished it up nicely.

Think back a few months ago leading up to the Switch releasing. All the talk about using a stock Tegra X1, people losing their minds. (I was salty I will admit LOL) People referencing the Shield TV and the terrible ports of X360 games as proof that the Tegra X1 a terrible choice. While its true that the Switch is far from within arms reach of the PS4/X1, its also becoming easy to see that its head and shoulders above the PS3/360. Even with that meager 25.6GB/s of memory bandwidth, Switch has a growing library of games hitting 1080p 60fps. We aren't talking simple 2d platformers, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMs, Fast RMX and now Splatoon 2. Nintendo and Nvidia coming together on this one is a perfect match. The Tegra X1 has been fantastic for this device.

Fast RMX doesn't run at 1080p 60fps...

Arms looks quite good, but the camera is rather static.

Anyway, all of those games look good enough to me. You don't need a PS4/XB1 to get decent graphics.

The only real problem with Nintendo is the IQ. Some games, like Splatoon, have strong aliasing issues.

Fast RMX doesn't run at 1080p 60fps...

Arms looks quite good, but the camera is rather static.

Anyway, all of those games look good enough to me. You don't need a PS4/XB1 to get decent graphics.

The only real problem with Nintendo is the IQ. Some games, like Splatoon, have strong aliasing issues.

In docked mode, the game jumps regularly between 900p and 1080p - or even lower in very select circumstances - while portable mode drops the resolution ceiling to 720p where minor drops in pixel-count can also occur, mostly in pre-race fly-bys. From what we understand, there is a small issue with the current firmware on Switch which causes a slight drain on GPU resources - once corrected, we're told that Fast RMX should sustain a full 1080p in docked mode. There's no anti-aliasing as such but the higher average resolution and lack of flickering artefacts on Switch result in a much cleaner presentation.

:rolleyes:

Yet, still no update from the DF... probably because the game has the same resolution as before.

How often does DF do updates? Very rarely unless there are substantial patches for high profile games. And yes, the firmware update took place within a month of launch, and the game runs really flawless. Its 1080p with dynamic resolution that rarely lowers the resolution. It is 1080p game. It is ok to admit you were mistaken you know.

I could be wrong or not. Until we have a direct confirmation, it's difficult to know.

Their video about Fast RMX got almost 190 000 views, so DF should be motivated for an update. By comparison, a big budget game like Injustice 2 has less than 100 000 views...

According to the Rocket League guys, they stuck with 720p because the physics makes the game demanding on the system. Apparently it's visually up to par with the other systems outside of resolution. It's been in development for 3 months apparently. It seems the Switch has trouble with games that have unusual physics going by Snake Pass and Rocket League.

I do wish they'd make a 1080p 60 FPS mode with less going on in terms of visuals, but I don't know if that's how things even work. Still going to get it, Rocket League local multi is just to good to pass on.

Back