Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How much storage space are required to add X1X-enhanced textures in the same disc?
at worst, with no compression or anything I assume up to 4X the size of the 1080p textures. To provide an example. The high resolution texture pack for FO4 is 58 GB. For gears of war 4, the high resolution textures pushed the game into the 100+ GB range.

So in the end it 'depends'. Will be interesting to take note of come October

at worst, with no compression or anything I assume up to 4X the size of the 1080p textures. To provide an example. The high resolution texture pack for FO4 is 58 GB. For gears of war 4, the high resolution textures pushed the game into the 100+ GB range.

So in the end it 'depends'. Will be interesting to take note of come October
didn't the new gears update, change the compression method which meant the install size is much lower now? Or is that after the update?

Some games may treat hi-res textures as DLC and may not include them on a shipped physical disc even though X1X and X1S can read a UHD BD 100GB disc.
be nice if new games had an additional disk for 4k assets if need be.

Some games may treat hi-res textures as DLC and may not include them on a shipped physical disc even though X1X and X1S can read a UHD BD 100GB disc.
yea this is a pain for folks with bandwidth limits or lower connection rates. I think the assumption that 4K TV ownership will likely assume that users have at least enough bandwidth to support 4K streaming ~ 25Mb/s, which means if they make this assumption the hi-res textures could be DLC.

didn't the new gears update, change the compression method which meant the install size is much lower now? Or is that after the update?

They updated how they packaged the DLC, so folks ended up having to redownload the addon content post-launch. Ultimately, it led to a smaller footprint on the HDD.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...on/b20a04e4-ee69-4f64-8736-5121a59d7f32/posts

Interesting though is the XO & Win10 size comparison.

Update will be the following size:

Xbox One: 24.5GB
Windows 10: 29GB

Following installation of this Update, the overall size of Gears of War 4 will be:

Xbox One: 78.5GB
Windows 10: 103GB

I'd guess that they weren't packaging the DLC optimally to reuse assets. At launch the difference seemed to be approximately 54GB vs 74GB between the two platforms IIRC, which is probably the "4k" assets for the most part.

Anyways, so it's enough for a SL BD disc (at launch even) if it comes down to offering a second disc like certain late gen 360 titles.

Last edited:
be nice if new games had an additional disk for 4k assets if need be.

They could also use UHD Blu Ray instead of standard Blu Ray discs for double or triple the capacity.

Don't know about the incremental cost over Blu Ray discs though.

They could also use UHD Blu Ray instead of standard Blu Ray discs for double or triple the capacity.
Can regular BD players read UHD discs? The point of the X is that you don't create a separate physical SKU.

Not sure.

Some more recent Blu Ray drives supposedly support Blu Ray XL discs. I don't recall if UHD is based on Blu Ray XL or a new format.

It's kind of interesting that a decade after the 599 debacle, 499 went over without too much notice. So, 499 at least is a viable console price point now instead of an outrage. Inflation marches on.

Reminds when Alex Rodriguez signed a landmark 10 year $242 million deal in MLB many years ago. Insane at the time, now no big deal as big contracts go.

Some say consumer electronics should always only decrease in price, but that's not strictly true. Consoles for example clearly have somewhat inelastic demand, so we have our mainstream consoles selling for 249 and 299 now instead of maybe 149 and 199 15 years ago. Also, the $99 late life console disappeared a long time ago.

I don't mind the price that much, though being at least 25% more than the competition is a risky maneuver.

I think I'd be more likely to pick up a Switch this year than a PS4 Pro or X1X.

For an upgrade in power, I'll wait for the true next gen consoles in a couple of years.

I think the main issue (for me anyway) with price is that it's not a true 'next gen' console - as such there's little reason to consider it other to boast having a console that plays the best version of all (presumed) 3rd party games. Especially when Pro will play then very nicely. No exclusives means no reason to spend such a large amount.

I think next gen will launch at $500 - or at least $450.

The 599 PS3 wasn't price/performance competitive with the 360 unless you were interested in a cheap Bluray Player. Another factor is obviously inflation and people's budgets for HW gimmicks and toys have increased.

I agree. Of course for MS, *this* gen launched at $499, so that's not a stretch, but I also expect the PlayStation 5 to be $499. I'm all for giving them more cost headroom to make a better product.

This after predicting that the Xbox One was DOA when it launched at $499, though the PS4 launching at $399 with better specs had a lot to do with that.

I think the main issue (for me anyway) with price is that it's not a true 'next gen' console - as such there's little reason to consider it other to boast having a console that plays the best version of all (presumed) 3rd party games. Especially when Pro will play then very nicely. No exclusives means no reason to spend such a large amount.

It's going to be harder and harder to have explicit "gens". Rapidly diminishing returns on graphics and the fact we now have these upgrades with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X has blurred the lines even further.

Last edited:
It's going to be harder and harder to have explicit "gens". Rapidly diminishing returns on graphics and the fact we now have these upgrades with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X has blurred the lines even further.

Whilst I agree to a certain extent, exclusives will be key (as in games you can only play on the newer consoles).

Even after a 7-8 years of 360 and PS3 we still had cross gen titles for about a year or so. And that gen didn't even have upgraded consoles in the mix..

But they had exclusives that you couldn't play on the old consoles hence a reason up upgrade as well as nicer graphics

Back