God of War [PS4, PC]

You know at some point he's gonna get pissed off right:)? I can see him eventually gouges Heimdall's eyes out to look for his captured wife / son, then take control of the Bifrost to travel back to Earth realm, retrieving the Blade of Olympus in order to kill the most powerful god in Asgard Odin.

On the gameplay side we' ve already seen kratos being able to evade and do his signature roll on the E32016 trailer. but I wonder if there is a dedicated jump button in this one lol. We haven't seen any jumping action.
I really like the combat mechanic looks really smooth and the combo with the son looks fun. Yet the previous entries were about juggling ennemies in the air, air combos, and beat em all things ala DMC. I guess this one will add maybe more depth or strategy to beat opponents. There is climbing, we have yet to see puzzles as well. Damn I understand now why people asked for Norse mythology. Really great artistic design here and interesting setting.

On the gameplay side we' ve already seen kratos being able to evade and do his signature roll on the E32016 trailer. but I wonder if there is a dedicated jump button in this one lol. We haven't seen any jumping action.
I really like the combat mechanic looks really smooth and the combo with the son looks fun. Yet the previous entries were about juggling ennemies in the air, air combos, and beat em all things ala DMC. I guess this one will add maybe more depth or strategy to beat opponents. There is climbing, we have yet to see puzzles as well. Damn I understand now why people asked for Norse mythology. Really great artistic design here and interesting setting.

Norse, Greek, Egyptian mythologies are probably the most expansive codexes.

Egyptian would be pretty cool.
as i get older the back story behind these mythos' are very inviting and indicative of the life struggles of the people who invented/discovered them.

in western society Norse and Greco/Roman are central to our experience of every day items from days of the week through astronomy and other other naming conventions (eros, aura, etc). Egyptian Mythos while much older than either is steadily enjoying an expansion in the publics eyes (the mummy, lara croft and the temple of osiris, assassins creed origins).

Im enjoying the exploration by the writers and artists as they try to relate contemporary appetites for mythology to a mostly unexplored pantheon. Very refreshing.

Don't forget Stargate. :D Would be fitting for the new Kratos. ;)

Anyhow, perhaps it's a discussion to revisit for after we figure out where they intend the series to go after 4.

Don't forget Stargate. :D Would be fitting for the new Kratos. ;)

Anyhow, perhaps it's a discussion to revisit for after we figure out where they intend the series to go after 4.
i might need to explore that show more. i always felt it was mor about the fantastical powers of the stargate rather than the why and how..

thanks for the chat!

The game is looking very good. The graphics are nice, but I feel like all the triple A games are visually very good, not sure if this is any different in that regards, but I like the gameplay as well. The axe makes the combat have a lot more oomph! instead of those swirly chains. I can imagine bashing skulls with that axe is going to be great :)

I wonder how many realms we'll be visiting in this game? The diversity of the nine realms of Norse mythology provides amble variation in locales, enemies, allies and story telling, really hope Cory could thoroughly explore all the opportunities as the potential is vast. I can see this entry be the start of a new trilogy.

There are really lots of possibilities. I also don't mind losing Kratos as a main character really. As long as they keep GOW and the DNA, I wouldn't mind playing with another charismatic character.
For my part I would love having Santa Monica have a take on japanese mythology or samurai style hack n slash. As for GOW direction i am really satisfied by the fact the game is not entirely open world.
I have had a bit enough of open world games for this gen. And i believe as this one in particular is heavily focused on storyline and cinematic experience, open world setting for this kind of game might break the pace of gameplay/storyline
I know there are games like the Witcher 3 which does a great job mixing storyline, gameplay, open world experience. But for me I would really personnaly be too distracted by things like side missions and equipment grinding than focusing on the main storyline, it occured to me that in most Open world games when the point of coming to the end of the last mission comes and I finished the main storyline, if there arr still things to do I wold probably just not finish the side quests. Unless I finish the side quests first then finish the main storyline.
I loved Horizon, have yet to finish yet. but I' m thankful for Cory not to put that one open world-like or yet.
I am also hyped by the rpg elements and weapon/equipment system. Noticed in the trailer that the boy at some point has his arows turing from green to red.

Somehow I have the feeling as this is going a bit into the Dark Souls/Bloodborne direction gameplaywise. Maybe not a bad thing... ;)

There ought to be a cut-scene at the end of the game that shows whether or not you spent points on his son's skill with the bow (i.e. different outcome).:sly:

We should probably merge the two GOW threads. This was the original, but after the actual reveal another thread was opened and that's the biggest one now

Back