Standard Marketing Practices in the Industry *Spawn*

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
Everyone does. Move onto a relevant point to this thread. This isn't a thread for standard marketing practices, that exists elsewhere.
i disagree that they are doing it as extensively as MS. The staged reactions of certain conferences were overshadowed by crowd reactions in the whole room. My point is relevant to the thread. Because the point arent the marketing practices. Its the fact although it was better than before, it didnt have the huge impact it was supposed to have. Reactions in the conference some times appeared faked as if the crowd needed extra push to lengthen the applauds. It felt awkward at times. I am not convinced MS made the announcements needed

Since you seem incapable of following instructions, I went ahead and moved your reply to someplace else.

No it is still relevant to how I viewed MS conference and how I rate it. I consider your labeling a misdirection

No it is still relevant to how I viewed MS conference and how I rate it.

And that's a fair point and perfectly valid.

I consider your labeling a misdirection

But ...

To me, it felt like you were showing false outrage at what many simply expect to happen at every single press and marketing event. That's all.

It's not a misdirection, I figure it's a discussion that better takes place in a less hectic and crazy fast moving thread. Also, discussing it only in the Microsoft thread prohibits anyone from responding to your statement with views from other conferences like Sony. Now that this is in it's own thread, we can revisit how staged the crowds are of other conferences.

I should have explained that earlier, but the conference was still live and the reactions to the conference is still ongoing. I apologize for not responding with the expanded explanation. Hopefully no lingering hard feelings on this?

To me, it felt like you were showing false outrage at what many simply expect to happen at every single press and marketing event. That's all.

It's not a misdirection, I figure it's a discussion that better takes place in a less hectic and crazy fast moving thread. Also, discussing it only in the Microsoft thread prohibits anyone from responding to your statement with views from other conferences like Sony. Now that this is in it's own thread, we can revisit how staged the crowds are of other conferences.

I should have explained that earlier, but the conference was still live and the reactions to the conference is still ongoing. I apologize for not responding with the expanded explanation. Hopefully no lingering hard feelings on this?
I wasnt outraged. It just sticked out very much that I couldnt ignore it.
Some times the announcements were just ok and genuinely not very exciting, which came in direct contrast with the huge and long applauds which felt awkward .
Its like when Sony teased people with FF7 and announced the original game for PS4 (instead of the long awaited remake) and instead of hearing the disappointment (which literally covered the whole conference room back then), you got a strong long a applaud giving the impression that the event was exciting. It felt like MS was trying too much convince that the conference was an A+
That huge and long lasting applaud as well as the type of reactions during the XBOX BC announcement felt hugely awkward, like the kind of excitement you get from a Megaton and could not be explained considering what impact the original XBOX left behind with a touch of paid telemarketing awe. It went beyond the naturally expected reaction. Not even being in the number 1 list of sought features is an explanation. It felt funny and amusing

Last edited:
The only part where I thought the crowd reaction wasn't genuine was the bit where Phil was talking near the end and mentioned the price. I couldn't see how anyone would be cheering over that. To me, that part felt exactly like how you described the Sony FF7 reaction.

At the time, I thought crowd reaction to Original Xbox BC was genuine, but perhaps thats because I was excited for it and knew it was a very highly requested feature so expected others to be hyped for it too.

Maybe if I got back and rewatch the presentation again I might come away with different take aways at the parts you mentioned.

Maybe if I got back and rewatch the presentation again I might come away with different take aways at the parts you mentioned.

I've already rewatched it and think the crowd reactions were genuine.

The OG BC is something the community have been asking for and the crowd are made up of XBOX fans, so not surprised at all that they would react to what was shown at the show. Sans the price, there were very good games for MS fans.

I've already rewatched it and think the crowd reactions were genuine.

The OG BC is something the community have been asking for and the crowd are made up of XBOX fans, so not surprised at all that they would react to what was shown at the show. Sans the price, there were very good games for MS fans.
I rewatched it.Not convinced
Still find it funny and awkward. I laugh every time I see it.The reactions almost came immediately before the logo even fully materialized as if they were rehearsed. Not even some time to digest what they saw.
Super long applaud, over reactions and some guys punching the air like it won exclusivity on GTA or something.
After long applaud and laughs from Phill in recognition of the original XBOX's non existent impact he adds "our team of engineers are working hard to bring some of your favorite original XBOX games". Yep
And all that for a library that the majority of 360 and XBOX owners never experienced to even be a favorite.
A library that even less own today that back then
A brand that wasnt as big back then
A console that struggled to reach 25 million userbase during its lifespan (and that with MS's continuous financial bleeding efforts to keep it alive in the market) and from that number even less are XBOX owners today.

They are trying to ignore the history of the original XBOX and present it as if it was always a massive mainstream success and everybody knew its games (apart from the known franchises that came on 360).

So I can understand that the community asking for it and being happy about the announcement. And yet the over excitement is still unexpected and not fully understood. BC is something very much sought but not necessarily super exciting.
The big deal was the 360 BC. That console was the big game changer with a higher quality library, much healthier userbase, games that age well and are still sought. But most importantly the majority of XBOX One owners probably owned a 360 and its games.Unlike the original XBOX which might had vanished under different circumstances

Last edited:
@Nesh I think you're looking at it through an interesting filter. To me, I saw the OG logo, I immediately knew what it probably meant and the crowd did as well. They began cheering for their beloved OG logo - the same way Miami Dolphins fans cheer for their throwback uniforms that Dan Marino wore when the Dolphins were "good". It's a memory of the good ole days. The fact that they continued to cheer without knowing what exactly they were cheering for doesn't provide enough evidence to jump the conclusion that they were somehow planted or falsely encouraged.

Of course, if one was prone to believe the entire show as farcical then I'm assuming that a crowd reaction that doesn't generate a similar emotional reaction in them would be immediately greeted with suspicion. For me, I thought it was cool, even though I have no use for OG BC. I still thought it and the subsequent release of The Duke, was one of the best parts of the show it brought back fond memories of playing Halo couch co-op and helped remind me that at one time, I enjoyed playing on the Xbox.

@Nesh I think you're looking at it through an interesting filter. To me, I saw the OG logo, I immediately knew what it probably meant and the crowd did as well. They began cheering for their beloved OG logo - the same way Miami Dolphins fans cheer for their throwback uniforms that Dan Marino wore when the Dolphins were "good". It's a memory of the good ole days. The fact that they continued to cheer without knowing what exactly they were cheering for doesn't provide enough evidence to jump the conclusion that they were somehow planted or falsely encouraged.

Of course, if one was prone to believe the entire show as farcical then I'm assuming that a crowd reaction that doesn't generate a similar emotional reaction in them would be immediately greeted with suspicion. For me, I thought it was cool, even though I have no use for OG BC. I still thought it and the subsequent release of The Duke, was one of the best parts of the show it brought back fond memories of playing Halo couch co-op and helped remind me that at one time, I enjoyed playing on the Xbox.
You knew what it "probably" meant. So you expect excitement to build up gradually as "probably" transforms to "yes I am sure now". Then you expect the good reactions. And yet despite "memories" I still cant see the reactions natural. To me they are exaggerated
It is not like the conference is fully fake. Its just that I am sure they have some people at the conference mixed with the crowd to direct responses. I do remember in MS past conferences getting equally strange over reactions about announcements that werent all that exciting for anyone (like TV features or the famous Kinect demonstrations etc) .

@Nesh I think your reaction is spawned from a position of lack of knowledge and not being familiar with matters concerning Xbox.

I knew exactly what it meant the moment it was shown on the screen. Other did as well. Phil has spoken publicly in the past about expanding BC and how original Xbox BC is one of the most requested feature. Also, as BadTB25 says, the lead up was all the talking about X360 BC and fans wanted more.

@Nesh I think your reaction is spawned from a position of lack of knowledge and not being familiar with matters concerning Xbox.

I knew exactly what it meant the moment it was shown on the screen. Other did as well. Phil has spoken publicly in the past about expanding BC and how original Xbox BC is one of the most requested feature. Also, as BadTB25 says, the lead up was all the talking about X360 BC and fans wanted more.
Let me put it simpler. It is one of those features that despite having a huge demand in terms of numbers, it is not the one that I would expect getting the applaud of a megaton. :p

I think it all depends on the audience. The audience at the MS conference at E3 probably are big XBox fans. Probably grew up with XBox. The PS fans would be at the PS conference; the Nintendo fans at the...hotel room or Internet Cafe streaming a live-stream. So yeah, proportionally you wouldn't think there'd be that many huge XB BC fans, but with the selective audience, quite possibly. I agree with the point about the logo based on my knowledge, but as @BRiT says, if that's part of the original start of the original XBox, all those fans would already know it. I would likely get the PS boot from the first appearance of the orange square here:

Wouldn't need to see the full logo appear.

As for the level of excitement, they may be just amped a bit on top of genuinely wanting to revisit some old games. I think you make a good argument for the general case, but factoring in specifics of the situation I think you've ended up over-thinking. ;)

Last edited:
I recognize both (XBOX and PS) from the very instance they appear but I doubt I would have been acting the equivalent of a Trump fanatic in a fraction of a second :p
Especially for a console that wasnt that much popular.
The XBOX fans must be a very special case then :p
The super "HELL YEAH" excitement if 100% real must be a niche that just happened to be concentrated there at the front row.
I still feel that the XBOX fans at large welcomed it but wasnt necessarily FUCK YEAH, I PISSED MY PANTS, HOLY SHIT excited even if they did request it. :LOL:

Last edited:
I feel like you're only saying that because your platform of choice offers 0 BC.
You feel wrong :p . The One got BC support to a bigger and better library a year ago (or was it two years ago?) which was a much more welcome and surprising feature considering that everyone was thinking it was technically almost impossible. Also I didnt downplay BC or ever excused its absence on PS4. I only comment on the over reaction (not any positive reaction) which I would have considered equally awkward if the same occurred with PS1 BC on PS4 :LOL:
But even that might have made a little bit more sense once you think that the PS1 was one of the most successful consoles in history surpassing the 100 million mark and having a strong impact on the video game industry with countless of franchises that left history and carried on to the present day

Last edited:
Back