CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Hawaii is a total beast atm wrt to ETH mining. Without much tuning you can get above 30 MH/s (for comparisons sake: with the same, low amount of tuning, a RX580 goes to ~26 MH/s.). If you can get cheap electricity as well, you're set. Especially considering the still skyrocketing ETH rates.

Just toying around with a R9 295X2. :D

Damn... I was looking at Radeon Pro Duo + ek waterblock, but the 1600euro price.... not smart, even with the eth price :eek: I'm waiting and waiting for Vega, then I hope XSPC or EK will deliver a WB quickly... AND that the chip will be good for mining. With HBM2 I'm not that sure... But I don't see it being worse than Fiji...

Damn... I was looking at Radeon Pro Duo + ek waterblock, but the 1600euro price.... not smart, even with the eth price :eek: I'm waiting and waiting for Vega, then I hope XSPC or EK will deliver a WB quickly... AND that the chip will be good for mining. With HBM2 I'm not that sure... But I don't see it being worse than Fiji...
Now this is going to be the big problem. All the actual gamers waiting for Vega won't be able to get one with stock going to FE, Apple and the remaining consumer editions being taken by the stupid mining craze.

Now this is going to be the big problem. All the actual gamers waiting for Vega won't be able to get one with stock going to FE, Apple and the remaining consumer editions being taken by the stupid mining craze.

Well I'm a gamer too :eek:

Yeah, at the same time, RX570 and 580 are selling like crazy because it's not that expensive. But you still can find Nano and Fury X. So, my guess is, high end vega won't be such "demanded" by miners, because of the price and probably power consumption. RX570/580 were really a special case I believe, low power consumption, low price, and very good mining performances with tweaked memory timing. If I was not gaming, I would not be interested in Vega for mining only (except if it does crazy number like 50-60 mh/sec, but I doubt it)

Well I'm a gamer too
Lies! Stay away from my Vega! :D

With Foundation Edition coming out later this month, I'm assuming by end of July release for RX the miners will know the perf/$ so we'll see.

Ah yes, Foundation Edition... I wonder what will be the differences with the RXs... (except 8 vs 16gb)... If the reference design is the same with RXs, maybe the WBs will be available soon :eek:

Well I'm a gamer too :eek:

Yeah, at the same time, RX570 and 580 are selling like crazy because it's not that expensive. But you still can find Nano and Fury X. So, my guess is, high end vega won't be such "demanded" by miners, because of the price and probably power consumption. RX570/580 were really a special case I believe, low power consumption, low price, and very good mining performances with tweaked memory timing. If I was not gaming, I would not be interested in Vega for mining only (except if it does crazy number like 50-60 mh/sec, but I doubt it)

Well miners offtly use more than 2 on a motherboard, so i will say 4-8x 570 linked to an motherboard will surely still be better cost / mh whatever is the perf of vega for it.

Anyway, offtopic question, but yo use fork or classic for ETH mining ?

Well miners offtly use more than 2 on a motherboard, so i will say 4-8x 570 linked to an motherboard will surely still be better cost / mh whatever is the perf of vega for it.

Anyway, offtopic question, but yo use fork or classic for ETH mining ?

Yeah I agree. That's why I don't fear a Vega shortage (due to mining anyway).

For eth, I'm using Genoil ethminer 1.1.9. I tried the famous Claymore, but it's was not faster for me... And I don't care about the additional functions.

Yeah I agree. That's why I don't fear a Vega shortage (due to mining anyway).

For eth, I'm using Genoil ethminer 1.1.9. I tried the famous Claymore, but it's was not faster for me... And I don't care about the additional functions.

I will give a try to this one thank you.

It's a pretty simple one. I can give you the command I use if you want. It's no longer supported by the dev, but, it's very stable for me, and efficient too.

Started with claymore today on dual 1070s (which will become quad in a few days when my adapters come). Liked how straightforward it is... The dual mining feature of Claymore's isn't worth it you think?

It's a pretty simple one. I can give you the command I use if you want. It's no longer supported by the dev, but, it's very stable for me, and efficient too.

If i need, later no problem, thanks. but anyway right now, i need first change my PSU as it slowly dying ( on the 3.3V rail .. sic ).. dont want mine much and kill it before i have take a new one.

Started with claymore today on dual 1070s (which will become quad in a few days when my adapters come). Liked how straightforward it is... The dual mining feature of Claymore's isn't worth it you think?
I don't use it [edit: the dual mining feature], but you can easily switch it off (add -mode 1 to the config.txt). And Claymore is still maintained, biggest plus in my books. Downside for some: 1% of mining time goes to the author, but I think it's fair to compensate people for their work. You can switch that off too, but then the miner runs a little slower, so you don't get any benefits out of it.

--
On a separate note: With a slightly more optimized base system, I am getting 30 MH/s for 128 watts at the wall.edit: This is not with the R9 295 X2, but with an undervolted 1070!! Adding in a 2nd card is next.

Last edited:
I don't use it [edit: the dual mining feature], but you can easily switch it off (add -mode 1 to the config.txt). And Claymore is still maintained, biggest plus in my books. Downside for some: 1% of mining time goes to the author, but I think it's fair to compensate people for their work. You can switch that off too, but then the miner runs a little slower, so you don't get any benefits out of it.

--
On a separate note: With a slightly more optimized base system, I am getting 30 MH/s for 128 watts at the wall. Adding in a 2nd card is next.

Also does you pass the 30MH/s with the 295x2 ? ... my 2x 7970 in claymore benchmark mode, in an absolutely not optimized setup is at 27MH/s ... that i find a bit slow ( should be around 32 MH/s ? ).. due to driver maybe...

By not optimized, i mean this windows is an old gaming rig, not made for mining at all. In fact i wanted just try benchmark it.

Last edited:
I'm dual mining LBC now... Might as well have some other coins around (wont sell these out i think) case they would grow in value.

Also planning to fully saturate my 1kw Seasonic Titanium with 6 total 1070s soon, if I can find the missing two cards somewhere in Europe (here in Romania, the very few 1070s that are on stock are reaching the cheaper 1080s' prices).

This *is* fun, had some money in the bank getting those depressing interest rates. It feels cool to actually get some subsidies for stacking up on computing power. Which can be later be used for different purposes, if mining fades away (folding, for instance)

Also does you pass the 30MH/s with the 295x2 ? ... my 2x 7970 in claymore benchmark mode, in an absolutely not optimized setup is at 27MH/s ... that i find a bit slow ( should be around 32 MH/s ? ).. due to driver maybe...

By not optimized, i mean this windows is an old gaming rig, not made for mining at all. In fact i wanted just try benchmark it.
The 295X2 is 2× Hawaii, not Dual Tahiti, so yes, easily pass 30 MH/s. In fact, it was aroun 56 MH/s without much fancy stuff. All under Windows 10, I'm not much of a Linux guy (yet, might try EthOS some day).

128w for the gc, or the whole pc (without screen) ??
Whole PC without screen. Otherwise, I could not have measured at the wall, which matters here, since that's what I pay.

I'm dual mining LBC now... Might as well have some other coins around (wont sell these out i think) case they would grow in value.

Also planning to fully saturate my 1kw Seasonic Titanium with 6 total 1070s soon, if I can find the missing two cards somewhere in Europe (here in Romania, the very few 1070s that are on stock are reaching the cheaper 1080s' prices).

This *is* fun, had some money in the bank getting those depressing interest rates. It feels cool to actually get some subsidies for stacking up on computing power. Which can be later be used for different purposes, if mining fades away (folding, for instance)

If I may ask: what's the price you pay in romania for one kWh of electricity?

The 295X2 is 2× Hawaii, not Dual Tahiti, so yes, easily pass 30 MH/s. In fact, it was aroun 56 MH/s without much fancy stuff. All under Windows 10, I'm not much of a Linux guy (yet, might try EthOS some day).

Whole PC without screen. Otherwise, I could not have measured at the wall, which matters here, since that's what I pay.

?

The question was more if one gpu pass easely 30mhs ( so one 290 ), for what i have see 7990 is going over 34 Mh/s for ether. hence why i think my dual 7970 was way too slow. ( specially when they run way faster than the 7990 )

The question was more if one gpu pass easely 30mhs ( so one 290 ), for what i have see 7990 is going over 34 Mh/s for ether. hence why i think my dual 7970 was way too slow. ( specially when they run way faster than the 7990 )
Regular 290s just a bit under 30. R9 390X is around 31.

0.13ish EUR / kWh

Need a place to store your mining rig ;) ?

Worth a tought! That's about half the rate we pay in germany. :|

Back