The Annual Is this the worst E3 Ever? [2017 Edition]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
This thread can serve as the mixing pot for everyone's view of the overall conferences and relative scoring of them. In the previous years it was called "Who Won E3" but this year I think the answer is too weighted as every conference has been a stinker. Yes, there have been some gems here and there, but the entire thing so far feels rather depressing and there isn't anything left to change that.

MS for the worst E3 and it's not even a contest... almost no exclusive games and some of them were really disapointing (Crackdown). At least, Sony showed a lot of AAA exclusive games : God of War, Spiderman, Uncharted, GTS, Days Gone. No suprises but a solid list of games.

There was nothing to convince you to buy a Xbox with the MS conference. Their only argument was the power. Yet, they didn't even have a proper game to show the difference...

So you didnt feel Forza 7 or Metro Exodus or Anthem was looking solid enough to showcase the capabilities? Or was it the lack of side by side comparisons? I doubt they will look as great on base model Xbox hardware. I think they left it up to the watchers to infer that. Difficult message because they dont want to alienate base owners.

As for Sony's, it felt rather me because I was expecting some sort of surprise or something new. The two standouts were more H:ZD and Days Gone, perhaps because the gameplay looks solid and different enough from the other games shown.

A severe lack of sales and powerpoints from Sony confused me. Title should be 'which show was the least boring and pointless?' To answer the question though, yes, this is the worst ever.

Forza 7 was decent but it wasn't new. A new Halo showing the X's capabilities would have been the ultimate combo.

Metro and Anthem are multi platform games. A multi is never a good option. People might think that it will look the same on other consoles, but simply at a lower resolution. They could also think that the game was running on PC, etc.

Also, a new console without a new big title to support it sound like you don't even trust in your own product...

Last edited:
So far for me it has been the worst.

Regardless of price, I thought MS did a poor job of making a case for the Xbox X. When Sony announced the Pro, at least they attempted to show differences the base and Pro models. I didn;t like what I saw (or didn't see more accurately) from their first party line up. They had been working on this console for 3 years at least, you would think they would have something ready for launch to show case it.

Then Sony happened and it wasn't much better either. Most of the big stuff was already known. They should have saved God of War or Spiderman last year and shown it first this year. It would have made a much, much bigger impact. Everything for Sony seemed destined for 2018 so that was a bummer as well.

There's still Nintendo to go, but I have a feeling it will be trailer reel for already announced titles.

One last point, I think with Ubisoft, EA, and Bethesda having their own conferences, it takes away from the big 3 platform holders. Without those separate shows, all those games would have been shown at the Sony or MS shows instead. We get more press shows, but more watered down shows.

The people saying Microsoft lost the show probably didn't see the Intel-sponsored PC Gamer presentation.
It was pretty much esports+esports+streaming esports+indies+esports with interviews to a bunch of C-level esports celebrities and that's it. You want cringeworthy material, you go check that presentation.

Kudos to PC Gamer for at least trying to do something, though. But E3 is everything but friendly to the PC gaming bunch.

As for this E3 being the worst ever, no it's not. Back in 2007 and 2008 E3 was even closed to the general public and was about to disappear as a whole.

I easily think Sony had the worst showing between MS and them. Ubisoft while strange was probably the most entertaining. Bethesda? I'm convinced those guys are on drugs...lol

Much of what Sony showed was from last year to point that it was more of a continuation of last year than a new show. The PSVR section was terrible and everytime they panned to the audience, several were not even paying attention to it. Even the crowd at that large theater couldn't muster enthusiasm sans God of War and Spiderman and even that seemed muted.I thought the show was dry compared to last year.

MS pricing of XBOX was a huge disappointment and definitely drops the grade big time for them. They also didn't really do a good job of "showing" XBOX advantages over the X1S other than stating it over and over. But OG Xbox BC was huge for their fanbase. Although like Sony, there was a ton of trailers, they had more actual gameplay and new games. The shouting streamer during one of their games demo was annoying though...lol A new Ori and Anthem were very well received and I like how they continue to highlight the indie efforts.

I'm going to rewatch the MS press conference later but yeah E3 this year definitely felt lackluster. It seems a companies decided to keep it simple and just show trailer after trailer and remove a lot of the speakers and scripted banter that we usually see onstage. But I don't see why companies will continue renting giant stages to do this instead of just going the Nintendo route..

I'm really disappointed in this e3. I'm not sure its the worst ever though. As far as the whole who sucked more MS or Sony goes, I think they both were lacking in new 1st party games. The Xbox show had an overall better vibe going. The crowd genuinely cheered on multiple occasions and they showed a lot of games compared to Sony. I think the crowd seemed dead or asleep at the Sony conference and it was over before you knew it. I think the theater setup may have had something to do with the lack of crowd noise.

Pretty lacklustre E3 for games that are interesting to me specifically.
From MS side big ones for me were
A) Minecraft
B) Cuphead, Ashen, The Last Night
C) Scorpio delivered for me, but I had the chance to watch on 4K HDR OLED. Big time win for me, I'm happy they streamed in 4K HDR.

Sony:
A lot of missteps here. I'm not going to go into too much detail but I'm really confused on the lack of GT Sport at the actual conference.
I'll let other racing fans chime in, but 5 years of waiting for a racer, and they won't put it on the grand stage when it's releasing this year.
This is GT we are talking about here, not some indie title.

To be totally Honest Anthem was the only game at the show that looked it ran on something not a base X1 or PS4. Every other game at the show you can imagine running on your base configuration console.

Anthem seemed well beyond that spec which was why MS's show could not have been worse then Sonys' etc.

Anthem and FM7 show me what Xbox X looks like and thats well above the specs of anything else at the show. No one knows what a Ps4Pro enhanced game looks like... but we know what an Xbox one x game looks like. It looks like Anthem.

So far for me it has been the worst.

Regardless of price, I thought MS did a poor job of making a case for the Xbox X. When Sony announced the Pro, at least they attempted to show differences the base and Pro models. I didn;t like what I saw (or didn't see more accurately) from their first party line up. They had been working on this console for 3 years at least, you would think they would have something ready for launch to show case it.

Then Sony happened and it wasn't much better either. Most of the big stuff was already known. They should have saved God of War or Spiderman last year and shown it first this year. It would have made a much, much bigger impact. Everything for Sony seemed destined for 2018 so that was a bummer as well.

There's still Nintendo to go, but I have a feeling it will be trailer reel for already announced titles.

One last point, I think with Ubisoft, EA, and Bethesda having their own conferences, it takes away from the big 3 platform holders. Without those separate shows, all those games would have been shown at the Sony or MS shows instead. We get more press shows, but more watered down shows.
Have they really ?

I can't say it's been the worst but it definitely feels underwhelming, nothing too surprising, and not enough cringe worthy moments to save it either.

finally watched sony's.
was disappointed at ms, mainly for the X1 reveal, and lacking a 1P game. Although lots of diversity, and indie games have gone up a couple steps in production value!

Sony, maybe went into it with higher expectations than should have after ms, and was just as disappointed.
lots of games from last e3 coming out next year.
some still didn't have a release window, I'm sure there must've been something new that impressed me but can't even remember what

Back