Mixed Information on Consoles or How I learned to loathe PR *spin off*

Again, I'll use the Titan XP as a comparison point. That product doesn't compete with anything. It doesn't even try. It's just the best thing they can manufacture in sufficient volume and sell at a tolerable price to be successful as a consumer product,

But XB1X is not a Titan XP. AC:Origins is running at dynamic 4K resolution, not native 4K for XB1X. I expect more games to use checkerboarding and dynamic resolution in the future. Wich is exactly why its FUD by Spencer, if the definition of a 4K machine is that *some* games can hit 4K, then Pro is a 4K machine. If ALL games have to be 4K to then XB1X is not a 4K machine either

But XB1X is not a Titan XP. AC:Origins is running at dynamic 4K resolution, not native 4K for XB1X. I expect more games to use checkerboarding and dynamic resolution in the future. Wich is exactly why its FUD by Spencer, if the definition of a 4K machine is that *some* games can hit 4K, then Pro is a 4K machine. If ALL games have to be 4K to then XB1X is not a 4K machine either

What is the quote from Phil Spencer saying, "PS4 Pro is not a 4K machine" or something similar.

Edit: Also, you missed the point of the Titan XP comparison. The point of the comparison is that Nvidia could *absolutely* sell the Titan XP for cheaper if they wanted to sell more. They don't. Titan XP is also a terrible value relative to the 1080ti. It doesn't matter. People buy it anyway.

Last edited:
I'd say comparing Pro to One S is even more asinine.
Also "When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do" is a direct jab at Pro too.

What is the quote from Phil Spencer saying, "PS4 Pro is not a 4K machine" or something similar.

Edit: Also, you missed the point of the Titan XP comparison. The point of the comparison is that Nvidia could *absolutely* sell the Titan XP for cheaper if they wanted to sell more. They don't. Titan XP is also a terrible value relative to the 1080ti. It doesn't matter. People buy it anyway.

Well if the only thing that would convince you is a word for word statement that Pro is not a 4K machine then obviously i concede, it does nothing for the discussion

I and many others read his statement as "Our console is a true 4K console while the competition has to use techniques to hit 4K" wich IMO is FUD

Stating that the Pro is a competitor to the S (they arent even in the same price range) is also FUD, yeah obviously im reading into it but to me he is insinuating the Pro upscales 4K like S does

Well if the only thing that would convince you is a word for word statement that Pro is not a 4K machine then obviously i concede, it does nothing for the discussion

I and many others read his statement as "Our console is a true 4K console while the competition has to use techniques to hit 4K" wich IMO is FUD

This is not FUD. It's exactly what is happening in most (not necessarily all) cases and what I expect will continue to happen going forward.

Stating that the Pro is a competitor to the S (they arent even in the same price range) is also FUD, yeah obviously im reading into it but to me he is insinuating the Pro upscales 4K like S does

The people MS are trying to sell this to wouldn't be considering a Pro. If the, "most powerful console ever that will render games in the best possible quality" pitch isn't enough to sell you on it, you're not their target market.

FUD is another one of those terms, BTW, that is so overused on the internet it has lost its meaning.

This is not FUD. It's exactly what is happening in most (not necessarily all) cases and what I expect will continue to happen going forward..

Except its not, Pro has like a dozen titles running at native 4K. So you are moving the goalpost to where exactly? The games you like will define wich console is 4K and wich one is not? Or will the amount of native 4K titles define "true 4K console"?

The people MS are trying to sell this to wouldn't be considering a Pro. If the, "most powerful console ever that will render games in the best possible quality" pitch isn't enough to sell you on it, you're not their target market.

FUD is another one of those terms, BTW, that is so overused on the internet it has lost its meaning.

Xbox One S is the most powerful console ever? Or what does that have to do with Spencer stating Xbox One S is the competitor to PS4Pro?

Except its not, Pro has like a dozen titles running at native 4K. So you are moving the goalpost to where exactly? The games you like will define wich console is 4K and wich one is not? Or will the amount of native 4K titles define "true 4K console"?

Some games demand more performance to enable their graphical fidelity then others. Most of us who have been around the console space for a while can recognize these when we see them, but here's a list I found from a month ago listing all of the 4K-native PS4 Pro games. If there's anything missing let me know.

Those particular games all fall into the "less demanding" category for various reasons.

Xbox One S is the most powerful console ever? Or what does that have to do with Spencer stating Xbox One S is the competitor to PS4Pro?

The premise is Xbox One X is the most powerful console ever and if, as a consumer, that is your criteria, then there is no competition. The only other console MS makes is the One S. Ergo One S is what they are offering if your criteria is anything other than "is the most powerful console ever" leaving you with the choice of the Pro, One S and Slim.

Phil probably went out to lunch with the Crackdown team, drank like 5 beers and then did an interview. :) I like Phil but I don't think he is always the best speaker, and does not always word things correctly.

The premise is Xbox One X is the most powerful console ever and if, as a consumer, that is your criteria, then there is no competition. The only other console MS makes is the One S. Ergo One S is what they are offering if your criteria is anything other than "is the most powerful console ever" leaving you with the choice of the Pro, One S and Slim.
So PS4 wasn't in competition with XB1? As the most powerful console ever, PS4 had no competition, and XB1 was more competing with PS3?

So PS4 wasn't in competition with XB1? As the most powerful console ever, PS4 had no competition, and XB1 was more competing with PS3?

PS4 was designed to be Sony's primary console for this generation and was intended to sell in high volume. They priced and marketed it accordingly. XB1 was designed to be MS's primary console for this generation and was intended to sell in high volume. It was marketed and priced...poorly. PS4 Pro is a step-up model from the PS4 offering better performance and is being priced and marketed accordingly. Xbox One X is the ultimate performance machine and is being marketed and priced accordingly.

The PS4 Pro is a 1080ti and the One X is a Titan XP. If you have to decide between a 1080ti and a Titan XP, then the Titan XP isn't made for you.

edit: I take it back. Not total FUD. Show me 4K textures on 4Pro then Phil's claim is fud.
A feature (USP) doesn't make a product unique and unrivalled. PS3 had a BRD drive. Does that mean it wasn't in competition with 360? Course it was! XB1X has more power and more RAM and better visuals, but it's still a high-end console competing for high-end console gamers' money. You have to jump through logistical hoops to come up with a rationale where a similar product at a similar price has no competition.

Some games demand more performance to enable their graphical fidelity then others. Most of us who have been around the console space for a while can recognize these when we see them, but here's a list I found from a month ago listing all of the 4K-native PS4 Pro games. If there's anything missing let me know.

Those particular games all fall into the "less demanding" category for various reasons..

But if Assassins Creed cant run native 4K on XB1X, what makes you think the other demanding titles will? You expect Battlefront 2 to be native 4K at 60 fps?

I mean Crackdown 3 running native 4K is no different than the games on that list.

So what exactly is the criteria for a "true 4K console"?

A feature (USP) doesn't make a product unique and unrivalled. PS3 had a BRD drive. Does that mean it wasn't in competition with 360? Course it was! XB1X has more power and more RAM and better visuals, but it's still a high-end console competing for high-end console gamers' money. You have to jump through logistical hoops to come up with a rationale where a similar product at a similar price has no competition.
yea you're right, there's no way to full justify it, I still don't like the tone of it either. The only way to really prove it is to see if 4Pro can consistently hit 4K* or not. Even at then, it's still in the same league.

But if Assassins Creed cant run native 4K on XB1X, what makes you think the other demanding titles will? You expect Battlefront 2 to be native 4K at 60 fps?

I mean Crackdown 3 running native 4K is no different than the games on that list.

Not 1800p* upscaled to 2160p. I think would be a technical criteria in this case.

Well technical criteria is 4K frame buffer, dynamic, native or checkerboard. If 1X manages to always be 4K* in this case, MS meets its goals. For 4Pro not the case.

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

But if Assassins Creed cant run native 4K on XB1X, what makes you think the other demanding titles will?

Not every game is Assasin's Creed.

You expect Battlefront 2 to be native 4K at 60 fps?

Yup.

Stylized graphics can mean less demanding, sure.

A console where a game in its library not being native 4K is an exception, not the expectation.

Or even 1800c upscaled to 2160p which I think is quite common.
They're in the link. Technically someone passionate enough can build a spreadsheet, but I think that list serves its purpose in showing that not all 4Pro games are 4K*.

If MS can keep to that commitment or that is the commitment, then that's how MS is going to play this one out.

Back