The Annual E3 Sony press conference thread, 2017 edition

Just a bunch of trailers. Look them up piecemeal on YouTube. Oh, plenty of new exclusives I think but they were seemingly clones of existing games so not really new or exciting. Nothing of Dreams. Still. this gen will be over by the time that game releases.

That's actually a big point for me though. No LBP-type games. No karting games. No light-family games. All heavy, solo, epic, gritty...anyone new to video games watching this would think all gaming was a bleek indulgence in violence and blood-lust.

Sony have two other events before the end of the year TGS and PSX... The game will be on another event this year...

EDIT: Out ofVR no indies at Sony E3 conference, it will be like last year indie time at PSX

Last edited:
I'm sure that won't matter, they have marketing deals for Destiny, Cod and Battlefront 2. It looks like they are following the same plan every year:
  • Get marketing deals with big multiplat titles in the fall
  • Release big first party games in the first half of next year
  • Repeat

I'd say it was somewhere in between good and great. No real surprises in the caliber of FF7, Shenmue 3 and Death Stranding but I guess the last few E3s were just that good and weren't the norm.
I saw the SotC rumor on NeoGAF but didn't believe it. Surprised it turned out true :eek:

Ni no Kuni 2 coming out in November is nice. Also a Monster Hunter game on consoles?!

For me

Ubi = Sony (I'd have put Ubi number 1 but there were so many cringey moments in their conference)
MS
Bethesda
EA

Devolver

Over all this year's E3 has been Okay.
Meh if the megatons are supposed to be games that won't be released until....who knows when (Shenmue, ffvii, death stranding) then we are better off without them.

Just a bunch of trailers. Look them up piecemeal on YouTube. Oh, plenty of new exclusives I think but they were seemingly clones of existing games so not really new or exciting. Nothing of Dreams. Still. this gen will be over by the time that game releases.

That's actually a big point for me though. No LBP-type games. No karting games. No light-family games. All heavy, solo, epic, gritty...anyone new to video games watching this would think all gaming was a bleek indulgence in violence and blood-lust.
ayee.

Well I watched it on the train.
This year Sony didn't have its usual showmanship, by usual I am referring to the complete absence of anyone talking up the games, slowing the pace to absorb the discussion, and no developers on stage to stamp their name on their product, which I found extremely unusual. In essence, they completely removed the presentation aspect of their presentation. I can see some folks appreciating that, but I felt like they went a little too far here.

Ignoring content, just looking at the presentation itself, it didn't seem necessary to rent out the large hall or have theaters across the globe present their E3 presentation. Their segment ran very parallel to how a Nintendo direct would deliver.

The lack of indie presence was also not a norm here as well, and also a bit concerning as to why something like that would be removed. Perhaps it's because Sony sees where the money is now and are adjusting their presentation? Who knows.

I'm not going to give my overall view here for sensitivity reasons, but I can see why viewers are disappointed.

It is still something to look forward to that the competitors HAVENT SHOWN.

That was hands down an awful show. It was terrible. The games were rehashes of things they showed off in 2016. The only new stuff that will appear this year is the uncharted legacy and the Horizon zero dawn multiplats. never mind NONE of the "hits" they showed had release dates for anything earlier than "early 2018" for God of War.

They spent 15 minutes of a 55 minute show on ... VR???

The crowd was confused, not into the games was only mildly surprised or thrilled at what was shown. Then when the show ended.. they werent sure that it ended. Everyone sat there like uhhhh

Even "new" games like Spiderman was really just Batman Arkham QTE in a spidey suit lol

I couldn't believe it. Sony with bases loaded struck out.

Did the games look good? Sure. But this year they ran dry and by the time those games drop it will be next e3 with the competition having caught up.

Ubisoft still had the best show over all but this Sony well looked dry.

That was hands down an awful show. It was terrible. The games were rehashes of things they showed off in 2016. The only new stuff that will appear this year is the uncharted legacy and the Horizon zero dawn multiplats. never mind NONE of the "hits" they showed had release dates for anything earlier than "early 2018" for God of War.

The crowd was confused, not into the games was only mildly surprised or thrilled at what was shown. Then when the show ended.. they werent sure that it ended. Everyone sat there like uhhhh

Even "new" games like Spiderman was really just Batman Arkham QTE in a spidey suit lol

I couldn't believe it. Sony with bases loaded struck out.

Did the games look good? Sure. But this year they ran dry and by the time those games drop it will be next e3 with the competition having caught up.

I'd agree with you if the PS4 was lacking in content but it isn't. So they announced a bunch of games that will be available next year for me to play. I'm fine with that.
There are still many games to look forward to for the rest of the year.

7 minutes. They are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they ignored VR, you would be writing "Sony abandoned their new platform a year later.."

The conference was straight forward and not bombastic. People complain that they show games that are years off, so this year they stuck to stuff that was basically a year or less out. Sony still has plenty in the works, but they also have to worry about having content for Dec. Right now I'm most interested in what From and Sucker Punch are working on.

Spider man looks insane. I really hope they can pull off a living breathing NYC with a good story. So far it looks great and VA is good. It should be Insomniacs biggest game easily.

I'm actually ok with how Sony ran their show. Basically a show reel of games. I do not want to see staged live demos or listen to people talk about their games on stage. I prefer to see stuff for the next year, including some short term releases for Q4, and a few new announcements for the following year. That's kind of the ideal show for me. Sony maybe missed on new announcements, and the short term. Most of what they showed was already known and is scheduled for 2018.

It is still something to look forward to that the competitors don't have.
Nope I see them more like a joke than anything to look forward to . I mean shenmue 3 and ffvii remake look like big jokes to me, games that will probably be released five years after their initial announcement. If the goal is to rally up the troops of fanboys then sure , they help in list wars but after a while they become jokes, imo.

Nope I see them more like a joke than anything to look forward to . I mean shenmue 3 and ffvii remake look like big jokes to me, games that will probably be released five years after their initial announcement. If the goal is to rally up the troops of fanboys then sure , they help in list wars but after a while they become jokes, imo.
Doesn't bother me as long as I have something else to play in the meantime.

7 minutes. They are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they ignored VR, you would be writing "Sony abandoned their new platform a year later.."

The conference was straight forward and not bombastic. People complain that they show games that are years off, so this year they stuck to stuff that was basically a year or less out. Sony still has plenty in the works, but they also have to worry about having content for Dec. Right now I'm most interested in what From and Sucker Punch are working on.

Spider man looks insane. I really hope they can pull off a living breathing NYC with a good story. So far it looks great and VA is good. It should be Insomniacs biggest game easily.

Nah VR is just very hard to do well. just because people bought into it doesn't make it a good investment. *shrug*

I'm not sure if any of those games with the exception of God of War is less than a year out. i guess Sony has plenty in the works... theres no telling from this conference though which is what i was going off of.

Spiderman looked ... okay i guess. I will say that it had a clean hi res look but i didnt find anything particularly interesting about the "demo." sparse but cinematic action sequences in a pretty bland city. I guess the action was well paced and the web mechanic was what we imagined it should be. What else? It was arkham in a spidey suit with a touch of the division.

God of war looked spectacular as with every playstation generation it is simply the game to showcase the system. It will be interesting to see how well the shepherding mechanic works out - next march.

This - the sound was completely off well into the show so I'm not sure why people keep saying the crowd wasn't into it since we couldn't hear anything very well. For example the Shadow of Colossus reveal according to the IGN crew covering the conference got a very good response yet to read the comments here you'd think it was one of the worst moments of the show....

Last edited:
I thought Star Child looked neat. Soundtrack reminded me of Mass Effect 1 with the 80s synth.*

Bravo Team reminded me of Black.

*hopefully Mass Effect 3 star child does not appear. ;)

Last edited:

I beg to differ. Devolver had the only presentation of any substance. After that the rest were like punctured balloons spewing stale air.

At the very least I expected something about PSN performance upgrades, changes to make PS+ more compelling, OS feature updates for the PS4, some sort of crazy sale push, some surprise new games, etc. Instead we got a technically inept and almost disinterested conference mostly about stale franchises (GOW, COD, Uncharted, AC, etc.) And the game people seemed most excited about was a QTE fest.

It wasn't the worst Sony conference ever, it was just so entirely meh.

Well I am talking as a gamer not as a Sony executive. Obviously whatever Sony is doing is working, just look at the sales, but for me it is disheartening that the holiday season will be barren , when it comes to PS4 exclusives.

Most gamers don't think like this. Gamers just want good games, they don't specifically crave games they are not available to some other people. That way lies the fanboy insanity logic. :yep2:

I stull don't understand how somebody seem to derive pleasure from some other people, who made a different product choice for whatever reason, not being able to play a game and have fun. I mean, how fucked up do you have to be to think like that? :(

Back