My ISP stole my router, accused me stealing their internet

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Hello B3D-ers!

All of you should be already familiar with how horrible is my history with electronics. Now it reached another level!

My shitty ISP that often have random disconnects and hundreds ms latency just pinging their gateway... stole my router, and accused me stealing their internet.

Yes, i wrote that correctly, you read that correctly. My ISP stole my router, and accused me stealing their internet.

this is their accusation, paraphrased into English:
I see what you did. You tried to stole our internet. You plugged an unauthorized device into our network, resulting myriads of problem.

the internet got random disconnect and leaking to outsiders is the result of this.

What weird is,
  • I already got their OK to plug my router. They even said they will limit the bandwidth to 5Mbps.
  • My router WAN port was connected to their switch for local network. So there's no way for my router to do anything with other clients that were connected to their router, not connected to mine. Heck, my router's network connection is still MAC blacklisted by them.
  • Yesterday their technician suddenly came to us without notice and starts fiddling with the network. The internet got random disconnect and i found out that i randomly got assigned to an IP range thats from my router. I suspect their technician stupidly connected my router LAN port into their switch, resulting in dual DHCP server conflict. the next day, the internet works just fine and i cant find my router in the network. I climbed the attic and my router was GONE. Turns out the technician brought my router back to their base.
I have tried to call them but they didn't pick it up. Further communication thru text chat also got ignored.

to be clear, i carefully do all communication with polite language. I'm boiling inside, but i stays polite. So i'm pretty sure its not because I'm raging or using harsh words.

any ideas how i should approach this?

i want to directly come to them, but currently my location is is the middle of a jungle so... its kinda hard to go anywhere

(our internet is point-to-point wireless).

thankyou!

doesnt sound like wireless to me

Code:
ISP <----high powered directional wireless----> office wired switch <----LANwire----> wireless AP1 (acting as a simple LAN to wifi bridge) LAN port
                                                                    <----LANwire----> wireless AP2 (acting as a simple LAN to wifi bridge) LAN port
                                                                    <----LANwire----> My wireless router WAN port

but they stupidly changed it to this (i suspect, from looking at the IP address and the status of my router)

Code:
ISP <----high powered directional wireless----> office wired switch <----LANwire----> wireless AP1 (acting as a simple LAN to wifi bridge) LAN port
                                                                    <----LANwire----> wireless AP2 (acting as a simple LAN to wifi bridge) LAN port
                                                                    <----LANwire----> My wireless router LAN port (still acting as DHCP server)

Maybe there is a switch in front of the wireless device that multiple people plug into that acts as the gateway? Though the story still doesn't make sense because most likely you would configure that switch with a bunch of vlan's, each configured for one customer, to avoid problems and keep networks separated.

I also have no idea how you could be stealing their internet? I assume nobody has access to their switch to plug in cables? Even if you do, assigning vlans and turning off interfaces that have no contract tied to them avoids the problem.

If they OK'd your router, you have that in writing, right? How about you show that to them?

Finally I don't understand how a guy is able to just go to your house, get in and leave with some equipment he didn't bring with him. You don't let the guy just wander around the house do you?

So, you stole this

the_internet_ani_lrg.gif

Sorry, couldn´t resist

Did you just reply again to the same thing with the same error?

Sorry there's should be "office" between My and ISP.

@Davros the wireless point to point device have LAN port. It goes to the wired switch. Wired switch goes to wireless AP running in bridge/relay mode.

@IT crowd reference.

Lol that show is gold. VISTA MEAN DEATH!

Back