Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the pic above I just did a very quick and dirty measure - it seems to be around 3-5mm less in width than the S but pretty much the exact same height

They will have a sale during the holiday.

LOL K, I will wait for the outrage from people who paid $500 in Nov. see one for $449.00 on sale in December. Any rational person know things go on sale for the holidays...
Except launch years when there is limited supply.

Tommy McClain

"Ark" :LOL:

This is the same game that can't hold 30 fps at 4k with a 1080 Ti (14 tflops at 1987 core clock in this video)

Take everything that dev says with a trackload of salt.

Why do you keep bringing up 4K comparisons using settings that will never be use on console?

Of course, a 1080 Ti is going to struggle at Epic graphical settings. It should, however, be able to do it quite easily at console level settings.

It's strange how people are so bent out of shape about a console being able to do 4K, that they have to use PC Ultra/Epic/whatever settings to claim that a developer saying their game will be able to do 4K on XBO-X must be fibbing. :p

Regards,
SB

Are you kidding me? Read the article. Direct quote from the dev:

Basically "like" Epic settings isn't Epic settings. We don't know what's being cut down. Does Epic settings feature a lot of CPU intensive settings that are greatly exacerbated on PC where it's difficult to reduce CPU dependency?

Does the lowered settings used for XBO greatly reduce CPU or GPU load without noticeably reducing the graphically quality such that it's "like" Epic settings?

Regards,
SB

The Xbox One version is probably one of the worst performing games on Xbox One (basically running at 15-20 fps most of the time):

The game runs like shit on PC, XBox One, Ps4, Ps4 Pro. If you are expecting miracles on Xbox One X, that's great, I admire your optimism, but I won't take anything this dev says about the hardware seriously.

The 6cm vs 6.5cm was the one I was talking about - (I was out on the height but was hard to tell from the picture due to angle hence I said looks about the same)

Yeah, the difference was not significant, so calling it out as smaller is a bit ingenuous, but it is a fact. There's a lot more in that box and somehow they made it smaller than the previous design and did it while continuing to integrate the power supply. If these don't explode it will be what I think is the most impressive hardware engineering MS has ever done in the console space. That has a lot to with the prior gens having issues, true, but I don't think anyone could objectively argue that this isn't a high water mark in terms of Xbox design (on the condition they don't prove to be unreliable).

The One X may not be the best pure business decision for MS, but there is value in some of the things they are doing from a brand-building aspect. The reason I *do* believe the Xbox X exists is to show that MS can design and manufacture impressive hardware if that is their main objective and they pick the right partners. We'll see how they execute on that. The fact that they priced it the way that they did is going to make it a (relatively) low-volume product to start, and that works in their favor.

In some ways the X is ambitious (the actual specs), but in other ways it is a safe play by MS. Focus on one problem (releasing the best hardware possible) and mitigate as many other challenges as you can so you have the best possible chance to be successful. You're not getting Sony's marketshare, so focus on achievable goals. If you can't sell more than they other guy, try to make the people that do buy the product like it as much as possible. That is an achievable goal for MS and now they just have to execute on it. And then execute on the next one. And then the next until the wrong management team comes in, completely misreads the market, and design a product so bad that it knocks you back and you have to reclaim a bunch of lost ground. Sony actually achieved this last within a generation BTW, the PS3 recovery was an amazing achievement (helped by a longer than normal console cycle) for the company and then the PS4 was executed about as well as it possibility could have been.

Yes, MS has always been capable of this level of engineering, just look at the Surface Pro line. Their hardware peripherals have always been solid. And the Zune while coming late as an MP3 player (the market was basically almost dead for those by the time it arrived) was very well designed.

It's just the XBO had a completely different focus. Size wasn't as important as near silent integration into a home theater setup for movies, which also meant very quiet gameplay operation.

I fully expect the XBO-X to be noticeably noiser than an XBO just like a PS4 is.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Last edited:
The One X may not be the best pure business decision for MS, but there is value in some of the things they are doing from a brand-building aspect. The reason I *do* believe the Xbox X exists is to show that MS can design and manufacture impressive hardware if that is their main objective and they pick the right partners.
The Surface team have already been doing that, and to a far greater extent than demonstrated here. This is more about "design on a budget" than Surface is though.

Yeah, the difference was not significant, so calling it out as smaller is a bit ingenuous, but it is a fact. There's a lot more in that box and somehow they made it smaller than the previous design and did it while continuing to integrate the power supply. If these don't explode it will be what I think is the most impressive hardware engineering MS has ever done in the console space. That has a lot to with the prior gens having issues, true, but I don't think anyone could objectively argue that this isn't a high water mark in terms of Xbox design (on the condition they don't prove to be unreliable).

Yeah it weighs a load too. Interested to see how reliability is, makes you wonder why XBOs wasn't smaller (maybe specifically made a little bigger so they could boast most powerful and smallest ever?) I assume the vapour cooling is key and may have pushed up costs?

X1X is for people who want the best graphics possible from a home console. It doesn't replace or even supersede the X1S, so it doesn't need to be priced at mainstream levels - at least in its current form.

It is current console gaming, but supercharged far beyond even the PS4 Pro, and X1X stands ahead of its contemporaries by a degree not seen in console land for 15 years.

Its entire reason for existing is to be the premium console by far. That's it.

It's not a generation reset, or a restart for Xbox, or an attempt to overtake PS4 sales (something only a mainstream competitor could achieve), so MS have no need to subsidise it.

This is a no apologies top end option for the console market. Good.

I'm not going to be buying it without 60 fps options for games of course, but I'm happy to see it out there.

Just catching up; I see some thoughtful considerations being presented here. The price point is not ideal for mass market, I think we all agree whole heartedly, it does beg to question how MS intends to strategize Scorpio.

Which in tune with McCorbo I agree that it may even be symbolic victory then anything else. Developers will always want to show their games in the best possible light, so they will keep showcasing the game on 1X hardware ? At least this is a common trend we have been seeing at E3.

I do worry about manufacturing being difficult. I have a feeling despite the price the 1X could be on perma wait list if they have issues with supply.

Yeah it weighs a load too. Interested to see how reliability is, makes you wonder why XBOs wasn't smaller (maybe specifically made a little bigger so they could boast most powerful and smallest ever?) I assume the vapour cooling is key and may have pushed up costs?

Vapor chamber is why the X is small, heavy and is part of the reason why it's expensive.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/gallery-our-first-up-close-look-at-one-xbox-one-x-box/

Given the location of the ports on the motherboard and the location of them on the enclosed unit it seems like the motherboard is mounted upside-down at the top of the case, with the heatsink, etc., hung underneath it.

Don't jam stuff under the feet, or have it mounted straddling between, as that would look like to be the primary air intake.

I think @AzBat posted an early schematic a few months back that indicated the motherboard was upside in the X.

PC, most of the time. You can brute force unstable builds to a playable level, and hope for the best in terms of optimization for the consoles. Ubisoft has mastered that art, remember this?
Yea, but they can now also do it for 1X, which is likely to push the console narrative better. I don't see them doing PC for everything so much anymore, just my 2c. It's easier to build for Scoprio since its stable and reaches into entry level high end PC rigs.

Let's get to the important stuff...

xb1x-14-1440x960.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back