The Insomniac Spiderman [PS4]

We are days away from the Sony E3 2017 keynote where we will see new Spiderm-man presentation!

Meanwhile, user Elitist1945 from GAF noticed something interesting in the reveal trailer - a NPC standing on mailbox during an action scene :D
http://i.imgur.com/Fh31t2a.png

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever a gamer can.
Spins a bed, any size.
Catches Z's, just like guys
Look out.
Here comes insomniac Spiderman.

Is Al Strong,
Listen mods,
He hates radioactive fud
Can he spin off a thread
Take a book to your bed
Hey devs,
There goes insomniac Spiderman

In the chill of night
With obscene amounts of wine,
Like a geek of might
He compiles just in time.

Spider-Man, Spider-Man,
Friendly render dood, Spider-Man
Bugs to fix
Sleep ignored
A.F. is his reward

To him,
Wife is a great big mystery
Just like his crunch time history
Look out for insomniac Spider-Man.

Last edited:
Oh cmon, Looks like I am the only one not into this -_- ! Insomniac should be making Resistance 4 orRatchet next, Spiderman.....bah he is just spiderman. I Like him but don't have any desire to play as him.

Yup, this game has the potential to be such a massive success. I can't wait to see how they will manage the story [how much will it be focused on Peter Parker's regular life], movement and action.

Oh cmon, Looks like I am the only one not into this -_- ! Insomniac should be making Resistance 4 orRatchet next, Spiderman.....bah he is just spiderman. I Like him but don't have any desire to play as him.
Resistance is just another shooter. Ratchet has soooo many iterations including decent ones. Spiderman has quite a few takes but mostly crap, so a good Spidey game is going to be very welcome. Especially if it ties in with a good Spidey film.

Although the physics-defying rope swinging will always bug me!

Spiderman is one of the most famous brands in the world. A good exclusive game [in a tier of Arkham games] could become a massive success.

I trust insomniac to do an incredible job of traversal after playing sunset overdrive.
Traversal's not the problem - it was fun in the old PS2 Spider-Man games. The problem is the physics defy reality in that universe. It's a super-hero nonsense that I just can't turn a blind eye to.

PS2 Spider-man game is still unmatched for it's web slinging traversal feel, and as a bonus, all webs attached only to the real objects.

Nobody managed to match this in all future spidey games.
I remember a Spidey game on PS2 where you could just keep swinging forwards, getting higher and higher. But this video shows the problem. His trajectory is forwards, but attaching onto a wall means he should be constantly falling towards that wall. He ought to spend most of his time wall-running.

I remember a Spidey game on PS2 where you could just keep swinging forwards, getting higher and higher. But this video shows the problem. His trajectory is forwards, but attaching onto a wall means he should be constantly falling towards that wall. He ought to spend most of his time wall-running.

Yes, it should be more like the Parkour and Grapple mechanics in TitanFall2. Use the grapple for rapid acceleration and course adjustments.

YES. Where is he dangling from??? Clouds??? Movie set roofs???? WHERE DAMMIT!!!
I'd go with realistic physics but some people will expect what they see in the movies, where spidey goes 10 blocks, sometimes around corners, on one web.

In fact I'd like consistently applied physics-based web gameplay entirely throughout. :yes: I want to play with things like Rico in Just Cause 3. I barely got anything done because I was tethering things to other things. It allowed just so much hilarity.

I'm really more worried about the rest of the gameplay. Most of the Spidey games managed to make the web swinging at least somewhat fun. Some certainly more so than others, but it was never the biggest point of contention with these games. It's all the rest where the devs usually messed it up. The guy is ridiculously fast, agile and powerful. The first two traits in particular are not an easy thing to get right unless you want everything to be at least half automated. Normal enemies shouldn't even have the skills to touch the guy, but with comparably pitiful reflexes on behalf of the very much human gamers, that's a rather tall order and tough to translate into satisfying gameplay.

The guy is ridiculously fast, agile and powerful. The first two traits in particular are not an easy thing to get right unless you want everything to be at least half automated. Normal enemies shouldn't even have the skills to touch the guy, but with comparably pitiful reflexes on behalf of the very much human gamers, that's a rather tall order and tough to translate into satisfying gameplay.

Quite a few games handle speed well - even GTA V where as Franklin you can put the game into slow time while driving and this takes time to recharge. But yeah, superhero games are a tricky balance, you need to feel powerful but you need a challenge. Throwing armies of super powered enemies at just negates the feeling of being powerful.

Back