Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sony spent hundreds of millions of dollars on marketing deals, so everything that was third party that sells consoles was essentially locked up like battlefront 2 etc... no excuse for not having 4K gears, halo, and newer IPs, stuff from Sega even... I was disappointed mostly by price. At $399 they wouyld be feeling chuffed today. instead they wait for the Sony hammer tonight.

"Microsoft didn't delve too deeply into specifics on the checkerboarding support that Scorpio possesses at the hardware level. However, Andrew Goossen tells us that the GPU supports extensions that allow depth and ID buffers to be efficiently rendered at full native resolution, while colour buffers can be rendered at half resolution with full pixel shader efficiency."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-scorpio-engine-in-depth
Not related. He is talking about software buffers that exist in all engines. Pro has a specific GPU hardware that is called "ID buffer" by Cerny but can be used in different ways and is basically free.

A "GPU that support extensions" sounds a lot like software feature to me.

Then how can you possibly evaluate what a good price is? I wasn't buying an X at $399 either, which is why I'm not commenting on whether I think it's priced well. I'm just saying it's priced the way I expected (at least initially). The only people who have a chance of providing a representative opinion on how the market will react to this are people who would have bought it if it were cheaper.

Is this a joke ?

Those who take the decisions at MS probably never touched a game in their life... to propose a valid opinion, you only need to have good reasoning capacities. I'm not saying that is my case, but clearly you don't need to be a potential buyer.

Not related. He is talking about software buffers that exist in all engines. Pro has a specific GPU hardware that is called "ID buffer" by Cerny but can be used in different ways and is basically free.

A "GPU that support extensions" sounds a lot like software feature to me.

Ok, thanks. I didn't know that.

Preorder price is out in my country, Greece, and surprisingly its 499€ and I am not being sarcastic because electronics come with a mark up here, due to taxes. The pro was 409€ at launch for example .

Zen is not going to be a 'little more cost' then what MS has with Jaguar, its practically impossible, AMD would have the be the worst negotiators in history.

MS has Jaguar because low power Zen wasn't going to be available in time. But in two years?

I disagree with your disagreement. I think that would be a horrificly bad idea.

They will have a sale during the holiday.
I disagree with your disagreement. I think that would be a horrificly bad idea.

LOL K, I will wait for the outrage from people who paid $500 in Nov. see one for $449.00 on sale in December. Any rational person know things go on sale for the holidays...

Is this a joke ?

Those who take the decisions at MS probably never touched a game in their life... to propose a valid opinion, you only need to have good reasoning capacities. I'm not saying that is my case, but clearly you don't need to be a potential buyer.

The person who made this decision made games for a living for many years and is clearly an avid gamer.

Whether product pricing is good or not is based on what people who want the product are willing to pay. You don't want the product. How are you determining what people who do want the product are willing to pay? Extensive market research?

They will have a sale during the holiday.

LOL K, I will wait for the outrage from people who paid $500 in Nov. see one for $449.00 on sale in December. Any rational person know things go on sale for the holidays...

Please name one console that lowered the price within 6 weeks of launch and didn't offer compensation.

Honestly, it's ridiculous to think people would be ok with it - maybe you but no-one else.

Whether product pricing is good or not is based on what people who want the product are willing to pay. You don't want the product. How are you determining what people who do want the product are willing to pay? Extensive market research?

Companies are here to make money and they only need bright people for that... do you really think that Bill Gates was interested by video games ? This guy just took a rational approach to make money with the first Xbox.

A new product is always the result of a careful analysis.

Let a random gamer conducting the Sony gaming division and let's see the result...

Companies are here to make money and they only need bright people for that... do you really think that Bill Gates was interested by video games ? This guy just took a rational approach to make money with the first Xbox.

A new product is always the result of a careful analysis.

Let a random gamer conducting the Sony gaming division and let's see the result...

Would be awesome for us :)

I have a feeling when this thing drops to 399, PS5 would literally be around the corner and that's gonna cause way more trouble for X1X to sell than at Nov 2017. I honestly don't see much of a user base for X1X at all in the near future but then again MS probably doesn't care much, their main goal is try to get the image back.

And more than likely, PS5 will be more powerful than XBO-X in a very similar way to how much more powerful XBO-X is over the base PS4 with the exception being a potentially larger jump in CPU power.

Regards,
SB

And more than likely, PS5 will be more powerful than XBO-X in a very similar way to how much more powerful XBO-X is over the base PS4 with the exception being a potentially larger jump in CPU power.

Regards,
SB
I think that being a true next gen console, not being tied down to any lower spec'd base model, as well as having a significantly better CPU, will be game changers. As we're starting to see diminishing returns with resolution, I think we'll see more 60fps games on console next gen.

No we won't. We will see the exact same number of 30 fps games we have been seeing with every generation. Diminishing returns will appear when graphics become photorealistic , in open world games too. Until then, if are alive by that time, 30 fps games will be the majority .

I think that being a true next gen console, not being tied down to any lower spec'd base model, as well as having a significantly better CPU, will be game changers. As we're starting to see diminishing returns with resolution, I think we'll see more 60fps games on console next gen.

Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that hardware advancement from PS3/X360 to PS4/XBO was faster than it will be between PS4/XBO and the "next generation."

And that doesn't even account for going from a very hard to utilize CPU architecture (PS3/X360) to a relatively easy and forgiving CPU architecture (PS4/XBO). IE you aren't going to have a massive jump just due to the CPU being more efficient and more tolerant of inefficient code which greatly inflated the power differential between those generations.

Regards,
SB

No we won't. We will see the exact same number of 30 fps games we have been seeing with every generation. Diminishing returns will appear when graphics become photorealistic , in open world games too. Until then, if are alive by that time, 30 fps games will be the majority .

I would say we're almost there - certainly the DICE engine looks very nice indeed. Now double the XB1X power and I think we'll be in a good place for next gen @ 60FPS 4K for a good number of games. Sure there will be the Naughty Devs of this word that will go in other directions, but you have to consider the costs of producing those assets too

For shooters maybe, but I can honestly say that I've never seen a PC gamer complain about a controller for any other type of game. I've watched dozens of PC players play Horizon on twitch, and not a single one complained about the controller. Every complaint was about the framerate. Not that it was bad per se, just that they wish that it was on PC so they could play at 60fps.

Not saying there aren't people out there that can't stand playing on a controller, but I'm pretty sure that percentage of people is minuscule compared to the amount of PC gamers who NEED 60fps.

Heh, I have. There's many like me who, despite how badly From Software implemented mouse and keyboard in the Dark Souls series on PC, perservered to get used to it rather than use a controller.

Heck, there's even a platformer now that performs significantly better with mouse and keyboard than controller, Flinthook. It allows for far more precise and quick aiming of your hook and shots while platforming.

In 3rd person action games like the Darksiders series, KB&M is also significantly better, IMO. Camera movement being key, an analog stick is clunky at best for those sorts of things. Basically anything where you have control over the camera/view works better with a KB&M.

However, for driving games, analog stick is definitely far superior.

Regards,
SB

I agree, current games still look like XB1/PS4 at 4k.

The next step is probably much better graphics at 4k + much better physics and animation.

I'm not sure about the AI, since the games have to remain rather easy.

Back