The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2017 edition

I'm just catching up a little...really dont even have that much desire to dig that deep into catching up with this presser though.

I'm not sure if it's me getting older or the fault is we hit a wall of graphical diminishing returns right at the PS3/360 generation (those PS3/360 E3's tended to blow me away, but none from this gen have), all I know is the past few e3's have really failed to blow me away in any way shape or form like they used to. This was no exception.

Anthem looked pretty cool. both graphically and Destiny-like.

The new Metro look OK I guess. We have to have females front and center in every game trailer I guess, it's a little forced. I was never the biggest fan of these on PC, but there they were heavily ridden by bugs which shouldn't be an issue on consoles. The graphics were good, but again just not knocking me over.

Fora 7, ok. all I can think here is this is 4k 60. Does it look so much better (or even as good) as Drive Club's rain? I dont know. That's EIGHT (8, Ocho, VIII) times as much force to get the same graphics at 4k/60 as at 1080/30. Eight times. 8X is basically a generational leap in power. Is it really worth it? Just do some 30 FPS checkerboarding...ok you cant do Forza at 30 FPS (although why not, Drive Club was), but you know what I mean. This is a consequence of pushing strict 4k too much.

The Last Night, cool. Doesn't blow me away but cool.

Xbox One X. Form factor, I really like it. Sleek and black. Upper echelon for console form factors IMO. Is it different than regular Xbox One case? It looks better to me somehow.

499. High. I strongly expected 399 or at worst 449. So, color me wrong. I dont know though, I should have known...12GB RAM? a Titan X doesn't have 12 GB GDDR5...

Will be interesting to see what Sony does with Ps4 Pro price now. I expect them to leave it 399.

I can excuse the price somewhat because at least they got the more important part, the power part, down. With Xbox One they tried to sell a weak console for 499, remember that debacle?! So, this is much better. And you can always lower the price later, but you're stuck with the hardware. So, 499 isn't good, but I feel like the power will shine through anyways, sooner or later. Also for me personally, I'm looking at it after some thought like, with full BC I can sell off my XBO no worries, and I should be able to get ~200 for that, making the upgrade price $300, which isn't bad.
I am as negative as they come for this debacle , but yes forza 7 did look a generation above driveclub, which doesn't even look that good despite Sony fans' claims, and native 4k>>>>>>>>checkerboarding. Suddenly most pro titles look blurry to me. Still not getting an x but maybe a good desktop pc should be in the cards for me.

Just now catching up before bed. Once conference was over I had to work on removing kitchen cabinets for our kitchen remodel. :(

Rating? Bleh? Is that allowed? OK, a C+ then.

Kinda anti-climatic. We pretty much new the look, the name & price before the show. Like others said they didn't do enough to sell me on the price. It might be worth it but I won't pay for it. Missed opportunity on a new Elite controller with Bluetooth support. XB1X color sucked & although it the ”smallest" the Twitter pics say it's the same as the 1S.

Games? Ori!!! Pre-ordering that. Crackdown 3 looked good & Terry Crews he was perfect spokesman lol. Could've talked about cloud destruction though. Anthem & Metro looked neat. Other titles that have me excited are State of Decay 2, Life is Strange & Super Lucky's Tale. Can't wait for Cuphead & Sea of Thieves.

True lack of more first party games was a head scratcher.

That's about it. C+ rating, what a waste. :/

Liked last year's E3 better.

Tommy McClain

Haven't watched the conference yet but saw most of the major titles, a few of them really wowed me graphically such as Anthem, Metro and DBZ Fighters. Interestingly enough the first party games are quite a let down in a graphics view, Forza 7 tho has pristine IQ, the lighting still sucks, lots of blurry textures on the road, rocky hills and weak rain effect but hey it's 4k/60. Crack Down 3? Haha what a joke that game was, honestly if lacking the destruction wasn't bad enough, everything else simply looked early gen, guess that's why they never showed it too often. The lack of a Gears or Halo showcase was a BIG mistake.
But man if X1X could indeed run Anthem and Metro at 4k/30 native then consider me a unit sold.

I actually think the textures on forza 7 looked pretty good. Especially the sand themed track. It also sounded like they added dynamic weather as well. The game looked clean as hell.

The new Metro title looked amazing to me. The first tunnel with the tree roots seemed to show a dramatic increase in polygons over the Metro redux release.
The enemy creature models were impressively detailed as well as the over world.

Anthem really impressed me graphically as well. I'm a huge Destiny player so it has my interest. It probably had some of the most detailed foilage and great draw distance.

The games above seemed to offer a lot of improvements graphically over both xbox one and Ps4 aside from the boost in pixel count. They seemed to have either higher lod settings or higher poly counts than any current gen game I have seen on my Xbox or ps4.

I was disappointed in the lack of any surprise first party titles at the show.

Games like Anthem and Metro are the late gen multiplatform titles that are really pushing the boundaries and would probably need a true next gen setup to really render them in all of their glory. I can't begin to imagine how gruesome it would look on a bork standard Xbox One.

Vocally they said 'exclusive' for both timed and console exclusive, but the text said otherwise.
Timed exclusive = Console launch exclusive
Console exclusive = Console/W10 exclusive
Multiplatform = No exclusive wording, just World Premier

The majority of those '22 exclusives' they showed were timed exclusives. Only Sea of Thieves, Ori, Crackdown, Forza and State of Decay were console exclusives AFAIK.

Most of the timed exclusives were smaller/indie games. Player Unknown Battlegrounds is a popular PC game, so that's probably the biggest one.

Vocally they said 'exclusive' for both timed and console exclusive, but the text said otherwise.
Timed exclusive = Console launch exclusive
Console exclusive = Console/W10 exclusive
Multiplatform = No exclusive wording, just World Premier

The majority of those '22 exclusives' they showed were timed exclusives. Only Sea of Thieves, Ori, Crackdown, Forza and State of Decay were console exclusives AFAIK.

Most of the timed exclusives were smaller/indie games. Player Unknown Battlegrounds is a popular PC game, so that's probably the biggest one.

Isn't Ori now on PS4/PC so safe to assume also timed? It looked very nice but I'd like to see some actual gameplay.

I just don't get the Xbox X. They were so butt hurt over the XB1 being weak they over compensated and made an expensive console very few are going to buy. If someone did not buy a $400, $300 or $200 XB1 why would they jump in now? Consoles play games, having specs isn't enough especially late in the gen. Seems like they are reacting to 2014 and the war has moved on. I can see the hardcore MS fans upgrading, but that isn't a very big audience, I guess they can brag about power for the next couple of years, that is nice?

It kind of reminds me of the car Homer designed, not the hideous looks, but the fact it was designed for a very small market and incredibly expensive. As I said previously the Pro offers a better value proposition (currently) and is selling much less than PS4.

Isn't Ori now on PS4/PC so safe to assume also timed? It looked very nice but I'd like to see some actual gameplay.
Don't think so... maybe you're thinking of a different game?

As I said in one of these threads, XB1X will sell well at launch because it appeals to existing XB1 owners. And (to a much lesser extent) people on the fence between console and PC.
But I agree with DrJay24 and that I think they over compensated and made the box too expensive. It's not that the box isn't worth it value wise, it's that $500+ consoles traditionally don't sell well outside of their core market... XB1 and PS3 were examples of that.

edit:
Did not watch, just read the this thread, was interesting to see how excited the first posts was and then how people felt it did not live up to their expectations as it went forward.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the XBOX will sell vs PS4P, I expect it will sell more, since it's a generational (small one?) leap for MS vs the Pro that looks to only be a boost mode for Sony :) If MS put out more 1st party XBOX games that looked stellar, I think more people would have been have about the showing and more forgiving about the price. Heck, we had to buy the PS3 at 600 USD, so 500 for the XBOX is not bad, then again, it's disposable income people might not have in the mainstream segment.
The conference started off strong, but then the games they showed following the XB1X reveal were, for the most part, lackluster. Then they finished it off with a (impressive) multiplatform game and the price.

I also think XB1X will sell better than Pro, at least initially. As you said, it's a bigger jump, so it's very appealing for Xbox fans. Plus MS is marketing XB1X a lot more than Sony and pushing it more as a new console. Sony and MS have different expectations for their mid-gen consoles.

Last edited:
Did not watch, just read the this thread, was interesting to see how excited the first posts was and then how people felt it did not live up to their expectations as it went forward.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the XBOX will sell vs PS4P, I expect it will sell more, since it's a generational (small one?) leap for MS vs the Pro that looks to only be a boost mode for Sony :) If MS put out more 1st party XBOX games that looked stellar, I think more people would have been have more positive about the show and more forgiving about the price. Heck, we had to buy the PS3 at 600 USD, so 500 for the XBOX is not bad, then again, it's disposable income people might not have in the mainstream segment.

Last edited:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the XBOX will sell vs PS4P, I expect it will sell more, since it's a generational (small one?) leap for MS vs the Pro that looks to only be a boost mode for Sony :) If MS put out more 1st party XBOX games that looked stellar, I think more people would have been have more positive about the show and more forgiving about the price. Heck, we had to buy the PS3 at 600 USD, so 500 for the XBOX is not bad, then again, it's disposable income people might not have in the mainstream segment.

For me the hype is directly related to the value factor. For 399, it's a great value based on what was shown. 449 makes it a toss up. 499 is just a no go.

If they have some ridiculous trade in value for existing owners, it might skew that perception but I highly doubt it.

Don't think so... maybe you're thinking of a different game?

Yes, Ori started as a true exclusive (or was sold as) but then came out on PC. Don't know why I thought it was also on PS4.

As I said in one of these threads, XB1X will sell well at launch because it appeals to existing XB1 owners. And (to a much lesser extent) people on the fence between console and PC.
But I agree with DrJay24 and that I think they over compensated and made the box too expensive. It's not that the box isn't worth it value wise, it's that $500+ consoles traditionally don't sell well outside of their core market... XB1 and PS3 were examples of that.

edit:

The conference started off strong, but then the games they showed following the XB1X reveal were, for the most part, lackluster. Then they finished it off with a (impressive) multiplatform game and the price.

I also think XB1X will sell better than Pro, at least initially. As you said, it's a bigger jump, so it's very appealing for Xbox fans. Plus MS is marketing XB1X a lot more than Sony and pushing it more as a new console. Sony and MS have different expectations for their mid-gen consoles.

From my experience Xbox fans are generally more interested in having the most powerful console, last gen my Xbox friends gave no end of ribbing on the face offs and I know they have been 'hurt' by MS letting Sony take the upper hand on that. I'm pretty sure this will sell really well to begin with and fizzle out pretty quickly regardless of the fact MS are pushing harder...the end result is that all this seems to be offering is 4K for double the price and adoption is still too low.

It kind of reminds me of the X360 having a much better online, it was too early in console gaming to mean people would leave Sonyland just to have a better online experience, this is like that - Pro offers good enough for those who want it. Next gen it will be far more important and the consoles will have the power to do more than 'just' give us 4K (yes, I know it does a little more than just 4K - I just mean lot's more!).

I think the first months the Xbox One X will be very successful not so sure for long term... The Xbox One sold very well at 499 dollars for a few months... For the conference, C grade

For me the hype is directly related to the value factor. For 399, it's a great value based on what was shown. 449 makes it a toss up. 499 is just a no go.

If they have some ridiculous trade in value for existing owners, it might skew that perception but I highly doubt it.

I can't believe people seriously expected $400. Logic made it obvious this was at least $450 but people insisted MS would take a hit for some reason!?

With the XBOs half the price (new) it makes upgrading expensive, those with OXBO would likely have to spend ~$350-400 but those people interested likely already upgraded so you have a ~$300-$350 upgrade for little gain - you'd need to have a 4K TV to gain anything like you'd feel worthwhile (IMHO)

Crackdown 3 looked much better two years ago :neutral: guess it was the cloud computing that provided all the extra power then...
Part of me not finding anything of interest from MS E3 presentation must come from me not owning an xbox, but I was expecting at least one xbo/xboxox exclusive title (or at least a timed one), like Red Dead Redemption 2, which would've been a huge win for MS and assured success.
Have MS held some other events after E3 later in the year, with exclusives and bigger announcements saved until then? Because if this is what MS has in store for the next year or so... :rolleyes:

Three questions:
1) What was shown of Crackdown 3? Is the Cloud still a thing?
2) Did MS talk about forwards compatibility, "XBox Forever", sowing the seeds in the minds of games of a persistent platform?
3) Any VR?

Three questions:
2) Did MS talk about forwards compatibility, "XBox Forever", sowing the seeds in the minds of games of a persistent platform?
3) Any VR?

1) Naff all, just some (poor looking) footage of 'gameplay' - what's cloud? ;)
2) Nope
3) Nope

Three questions:
3) Any VR?

1. Supposedly Cloud is for MP only and still in but no real show or details about it so far. Crackdown looked pretty bad all said and done. They won't commit to any of that I'd imagine until they know the specs of the next proper console
2. Nope. Instead they talked about implementing OG Xbox BC
3. No. They said before E3 they felt VR wasn't mature enough to put that level of effort into it yet. I agree with that point

Back