The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2017 edition

Anthem feels like it was a last minute addition. Likely why it was originally going to be 90 minutes. Weird to end on a non-exclusive.

Regards,
SB

Agreed, I thought we'd see something new from first party.

Edit: Oh, I forgot Metro, that looked great as well!

Agreed. It was nice seeing GAMES-GAMES-GAMES even if they're not completely exclusive (out on PC too) and if the pace could have been faster, but that means showing even less of the games.

Sea of Thieves and Ori 2 were the two standouts for me. The other games, Anthem and Metro and Shadows of War look solid too.

A bit disappointed at the pricing though.

My thoughts on the conference:
-499 a bit too high
-XB1X itself looks good, and I'm surprised it's smaller than XB1S
-A LOT of smallish timed exclusives (PUBG could be a pretty big one)
-OG Xbox BC is nice
-Ori and Forza looked good
-Not much to showcase the XB1X
-For multiplatform games, Anthem has my interest. Metro looks great. Everything else was meh.

Overall, not bad. I don't think they showed enough to justify $500, both in terms of graphical power and compelling exclusives. But considering they're far behind in the market race, I understand it's difficult to to secure any exclusives. Was thinking they might show more in-terms of first-party stuff though.

Last edited:
PC gamers are winners so far. Gotta love how metro looked and luckily I don't need to get xbox to play that. Sea of thieves looks excellent and probably is a lot of fun for anyone who liked assasins creed black flag. For me the ms conference was underwhelming but I guess if I was huge xbox fan I might have gotten more out of the game trailers which mostly were plain boring.

500$ is brave move. The hw cannot be cheap and I assume microsoft is selling it close to +-0. Maybe they expect fairly low volume and can sell all production at that price. Will be interesting to see if market will support console at that price point. If it turns out to be success perhaps next gen consoles try to push the price even higher. This reminds me of mobile market where it seems new highend phones become more and more expensive every year.

Dude, your perception is warped and out of touch. Many have been clamoring for Original Xbox Backwards Compatibility since they announced X360 BC. It may even be the most requested feature on the Xbox User Voice site.
Many doesnt say much by itself. Especially for a console that want all that popular back in its day. Also the reaction did appear overreacting and staged even if people were indeed waiting for it. And its not like MS didnt use staged crowds before in its conferences ;)

Its a good marketing tool. Especially if you want to make your original XBOX appear as if it was always super strong despite market performance and history

Guess I'll just stick to PC then for the Xbox Eco-System.
At 500 USD I don't see a point in buying one other than strictly for the Only on Xbox exclusives and Backwards compatibility.

400 USD would have given PS4 Pro some pricing competition at least. But now, all 3rd Parties will take all the benefits of Xbox One X and just give it to PS4 Pro owners as well. Which was gonna happen anyways, however anyone who strictly wanted a games console with more power than the base systems, who never owned a PS4 or Xbox One will go for the cheaper device.

One thing to consider is that while almost all the games will be coming to PC, XBO-X will still be, by far the cheapest method for people to play those games on a 4k TV. Now, whether that's a factor or not is obviously debatable. But with TV manufacturer's pushing 4K HDR TVs, it's certainly going to ride on the coat tails of that to a degree. Throw in UHD BD playback, again debatable whether 4K UHD HDR movies are going to be a big thing or not, and the value proposition for the XBO-X isn't that bad.

I personally, don't see anything that would make me buy an XBO-X, but then again I have a couple thousand USD invested into a PC. And I'll be investing another 500-700 USD soon for a Ryzen upgrade in order to ensure 4K playback.

IE - a LOT more expensive than XBO-X. I'd imagine a lot of people that buy a 4K HDR TV might find the XBO-X interesting.

Regards,
SB

The winners of E3 are the gamers who aren't fanboys. Cool conference, lots of great looking gamers coming out this year and next.
from you unbiased point of view, yes. But I expected a XXX conference. I couldn't care less about PS4, Nintendo are a bit special but they do their thing just fine, and that's cool. I expected that MS could get it right once at least. Well, I have a good PC.

Anthem feels like it was a last minute addition. Likely why it was originally going to be 90 minutes. Weird to end on a non-exclusive.

Regards,
SB
I don't think it was a late minute addition. I mean, Destiny is one of the biggest games of this generation, and Anthem seems like a strong competitor. So even though it's multiplatform, the fact that MS has marketing rights for this games is kind of a big deal, as I think MS realizes the potential of this game. It was (sadly) one of the highlights of the conference IMO.

I don't think the conference was that bad but I went in with mild expectations. First party is definitely lacking right now, I'm not sure if we even saw a new IP from a first party studio, that was definitely disappointing.

I guess if you have a 4k tv, then that's a solid reason to upgrade. I guess if the Xbox One S/original version of the games are shit, then that would be a reason to upgrade. Otherwise, with a 1080p tv, I'm just not seeing a good $500 investment. It's not like there are One X exclusives.

I'm in. I could care less about exclusivity. I was more worried about support. I rather have wide scale adoption by console pubs then just a few first party titles to justify my purchase.

With SOD2, Metro, ACO, Anthem and SOW having 4K or Enhanced modes for Scorpio that's all I need to push me to purchase. I sure games like RDR2, prominent sports titles and few other titles will have support so I will have plenty of titles to keep me busy for the last quarter of 2017 and first half of 2018.

As long as the majority of games look and play better on the XBO X, I will be satisfied.

F
Not a troll grade. It's an honest assessment. F means failing grade. I think this console fails to offer sufficient value at that price point.

also

I'm looking forward to the rush of "We built a Scorpio-crushing PC for $500" articles. Which, by November, will probably be pretty easy.

Back