Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alternatively "Leak $500, watch the net meltdown and panic - cancel all press interactions, wait 2 weeks while you fire everyone, then announce a new price at $449."

lol. Interesting thought tho, this is similar to the 'always online' rumours isn't it? Wasn't that just before E3 - didn't change a thing until much later but maybe they are putting it out there to judge the noise...probably too late in the day for that

lol. Interesting thought tho, this is similar to the 'always online' rumours isn't it? Wasn't that just before E3 - didn't change a thing until much later but maybe they are putting it out there to judge the noise...probably too late in the day for that

Eh. I think for what MS wants it is not that big a deal. I do not think they were ever expecting it to be a big seller. It fixes any number of other problems for them so making a dent in the install base is probably not a priority.

I doubt Sony will cut the price of pro . Why would they ? They sell a ton of ps4s as it is and the pro's sales are a nice little bonus for their bottom line, and they do need the profits. If the Scorpio costs 500$ I see no reason for Sony to cut the price of the pro.

Some still have hope...

I'm with @fehu ... MS is John Snow. They know nothing!

I thought 399, but 499 is a perfectly fair price for something this fast.

Compared to the Pro: ~ 45% more GPU, 45% more BW, 50% more fast memory, faster CPU likely with higher IPC to boot, more capable audio processors, 4K BR.

All for $100, or 25% more.
That's assuming the price of the Pro stays at $400.

Also, the percentages look impressive and all, but I think that to the vast majority of console gamers, that will actually translate to relatively small differences visually. Just like the vast majority of current console gamers (ie the people outside of tech forums) think that the differences between XB1 and PS4/Pro games are fairly small.

The PC gamer in me would think "that's a fucking steal".
I'm not so sure your typical PC gamer is thinking like that. Most PC gamers I come across are the PC master race, 60fps or bust type of people. Most PC gamers are probably thinking they could build a better PC for not much more. This is more for the people on the fence between console and PC IMO (and Xbox fans).

Personally I think 499 is a touch high (if that is really the price... still think it will be lower), but with that said, it will still sell a lot. It would almost be smart of MS to price it at 499 because the hardcore fans will buy it regardless, then they can always adjust the price from there.

That's assuming the price of the Pro stays at $400.

Also, the percentages look impressive and all, but I think that to the vast majority of console gamers, that will actually translate to relatively small differences visually. Just like the vast majority of current console gamers (ie the people outside of B3D, GAF etc.,) think that the differences between XB1 and PS4/Pro games are fairly small.

MS can adjust the price of the Scorpio as necessary - I don't think they'd ever want a greater than $100 difference, no matter how much better the platform is.

The gap between Scorpio and Pro is much bigger than between X1 and PS4. PS4 had a sizeable GPU flop advantage, but the same amount of memory for games, lower framebuffer bandwidth (esram limitations notwithstanding) and a slower CPU.

Scorpio has a sizeable GPU flop advantage, a sizeable increase in framebuffer & system bandwidth, a sizeable increase in memory available to games, a wider and likely more contention friendly memory bus, and a faster (and possibly higher IPC to boot) CPU.

PS4 generally displays the same image as the X1 (using same assets) but at higher resolution. With Scoprio the image has the capability to be much higher quality all the way from initial assets to the ROPs, and then also be output at a higher resolution.

I'm not so sure your typical PC gamer is thinking like that. Most PC gamers I come across are the PC master race, 60fps or bust type of people.

That's the PC gaming Taliban. Your typical PC gamer is actually quite value orientated, which is why cards like the 1060, 1070, 470, 480 are top sellers. A small stretch for significantly higher performance, lots more ram, extra media support weighs heavily.

Personally I think 499 is a touch high (if that is really the price... still think it will be lower), but with that said, it will still sell a lot. It would almost be smart of MS to price it at 499 because the hardcore fans will buy it regardless, then they can always adjust the price from there.

I would have liked to have seen a lower price, but MS may been looking to margins and a halo effect for the Xbox brand in the first few months before getting into the trenches with the rest of the PS lineup. And yes, I agree that MS can start high and adjust the price as necessary from there.

Pro to PS4 price/power comparison disagrees with your logic

Statements are nice, but explanations are better. ;)

What logic? That those are the rough, relative performance attributes (in which case why are you talking about PS4/Pro?), or that I think $499 is a fair price for a system with the hardware that comes in the Scorpio?

The gap between Scorpio and Pro is much bigger than between X1 and PS4. PS4 had a sizeable GPU flop advantage, but the same amount of memory for games, lower framebuffer bandwidth (esram limitations notwithstanding) and a slower CPU.

Scorpio has a sizeable GPU flop advantage, a sizeable increase in framebuffer & system bandwidth, a sizeable increase in memory available to games, a wider and likely more contention friendly memory bus, and a faster (and possibly higher IPC to boot) CPU.

PS4 generally displays the same image as the X1 (using same assets) but at higher resolution. With Scoprio the image has the capability to be much higher quality all the way from initial assets to the ROPs, and then also be output at a higher resolution.
I think you're overestimating how much you think the vast majority of console gamers care about these differences (visually speaking). If we were in the PC space, then sure I'd agree.

That's the PC gaming Taliban. Your typical PC gamer is actually quite value orientated, which is why cards like the 1060, 1070, 470, 480 are top sellers. A small stretch for significantly higher performance, lots more ram, extra media support weighs heavily.
They may be value oriented, but most PC gamers I come across care about 60fps.

I think you're overestimating how much you think the vast majority of console gamers care about these differences (visually speaking). If we were in the PC space, then sure I'd agree.

Perhaps you're right. Majority of console gamers won't care, but I just think there may be some degree of overlap between they type of customers that like PCs for their power and those that would like to game on console. I don't think Scoprio is intended to hit at the average PS4 stock or X1S buyer. It's PS4 Pro and up that I think they're targeting - disposable income, large 4K telly and like pretty pictures.

They may be value oriented, but most PC gamers I come across care about 60fps.

That's me. 4.5 ghz i7 CPU with a large Noctua cooler, 32 GB of RAM, SSD for windows, aaaaaand .... an ancient GTX 680/770. Looking to replace the GPU but I won't until I hit that RAM/Flops sweetspot. For now I can still hit 60 fps with some (growing) sacrifices, so I'm holding out for Vega, but I can tell that if Scorpio had lots of 60 fps games I'd be all over it. Even with my HD (i.e. sub full HD) gaming plasma telly.

When I think about a $499 Scoprio I can't help but think it's still good value for money. Pro is good value for money too IMO, it's just that a 499 Scorpio seems even better for everything it offers.

I agree that the gap is larger, but the bandwidth was also faster on PS4. You can't feed a faster GPU without the proper bandwith.

ESRAM in real life scenarios during writing/reading = 140/150 Gb/s = 75Gb/s at best without simultaneous action.

So, it's not clear if the gap between the Scorpion/Pro is larger for the bandwidth.

Actually, i think that the notable difference (compared to the PS4/XB1 gap) is only for the memory available to games and for the CPU.

I agree that the gap is larger, but the bandwidth was also faster on PS4. You can't feed a faster GPU without the proper bandwith.

ESRAM in real life scenarios during writing/reading = 140/150 Gb/s = 75Gb/s at best without simultaneous action.
Huh? You seem very misinformed. ESRAM can read and write at the same time, with 204 GB/s theoretical peak (to compare with PS4's theoretical peak of 176 GB/s, the reality being much lower). Bandwidth is in total faster on XB1. The complexities of how much BW devs have to do any particular type of work with are numerous and open for debate (mostly by armchair analysts who don't really know the ins and outs).

For those that haven't heard about it yet, the Xbox One X (Scorpio) is the smallest Xbox console yet. It's smaller than the Xbox One S.

Huh? You seem very misinformed. ESRAM can read and write at the same time, with 204 GB/s theoretical peak (to compare with PS4's theoretical peak of 176 GB/s, the reality being much lower). Bandwidth is in total faster on XB1. The complexities of how much BW devs have to do any particular type of work with are numerous and open for debate (mostly by armchair analysts who don't really know the ins and outs).

I talked about real life scenarios and i never said that the ESRAM could not read and write at the same time. Actually, i said the opposite : 140/150GB/s during writing+reading.

This is what MS said running their ideal code : "One out of every eight cycles is a bubble, so that's how you get the combined 204GB/s as the raw peak that we can really achieve over the ESRAM. And then if you say what can you achieve out of an application - we've measured about 140-150GB/s for ESRAM. That's real code running."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-complete-xbox-one-interview

But since the Scorpio has a slightly larger gap in terms of GPU/CPU power, i would expect that the bandwidth increases accordingly.

Back