Kingdom Come: Deliverance

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
I've been watching this a little as it develops. It sounds really fascinating. An attempt at a AAA quality authentic medieval RPG on Cryengine.

https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com/

I stumbled upon an interesting video today, posted over on RPGWatch. An educated fellow talking about the historical accuracy of what's in the alpha version.

So, what, nobody is fascinated by an open-world RPG attempting to do historical authenticity? Is the name too biblical? lol

I've been following this title for awhile but development is very slow and I'm really only interested in games once they're fully released nowadays. Don't have much time anymore to delve into their progress in detail over time.

Realtime Voxel GI in Kingdome Come

Kingdom Come: Deliverance SVOTI (SVOGI, Voxel GI, CryEngine) on/off comparison (with FPS)

"SVOGI

Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination is a system that makes in-game light behave extremely closely to how it does in the real world, adding lifelike immersion. We achieved this by making indirect light bounce off of most objects in the scene. This GI solution is based on voxel ray tracing and provides following effects:

- Dynamic indirect light bounce from static and most of dynamic objects.
- Large scale AO and indirect shadows from static geometry (vegetation, brushes and terrain).
- Works without pre-baking and does not require manual setup of many bounce lights or light volumes."

Source: http://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=328&t=132938&hilit=vlad

Realtime Voxel GI in Kingdome Come

Kingdom Come: Deliverance SVOTI (SVOGI, Voxel GI, CryEngine) on/off comparison (with FPS)

"SVOGI

Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination is a system that makes in-game light behave extremely closely to how it does in the real world, adding lifelike immersion. We achieved this by making indirect light bounce off of most objects in the scene. This GI solution is based on voxel ray tracing and provides following effects:

- Dynamic indirect light bounce from static and most of dynamic objects.
- Large scale AO and indirect shadows from static geometry (vegetation, brushes and terrain).
- Works without pre-baking and does not require manual setup of many bounce lights or light volumes."

Source: http://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=328&t=132938&hilit=vlad
the end result is going to be shown soon, but here is the global announcement (which is going to take place June 9th 2017) trailer. Speechless.

I've re-visited this every 3-6 months to see progress but they didn't update their beta in a long time due to problems but it looks like they're finally getting a full product out soon. Know the initial problems likely there upon release, I think I'll check it out a few months after, but it certainly looks very nice with the lighting.

Even apart from the people and their settlements the landscape already looks european. I have no problem with the USA I even adore the US landscapes. They have something refreshing, gigantic and untouched while the environment in Kingdom Come: Deliverance looks familiar to me. Multiple times I was in the Czech Republic to hike in the mountains.

Last edited:
Even apart from the people and their settlements the landscape already looks european. I have no problem with the USA I even adore the US landscapes. They have something refreshing, gigantic and untouched while the environment in Kingdom Come: Deliverance looks familiar to me. Multiple times I was in the Czech Republic to hike in the mountains.
yes, I live in a region which is similar to say Scotland or Ireland, but the landscape is certainly familiar...

I don't know if anyone here plays PC games anymore, but this game is something to check out if I might say so. I put a few hours into it. Nice storytelling, interesting characters, melee combat with depth, and a fascinating setting.

Demanding visuals. It looks great but the big 1080 Ti struggles at 4K. 20-40 fps. 2560x1440 holds 60 though. The game has a nice look to it. Cryengine gone medieval open world RPG is interesting.

Seems pretty solid. No crashes or bugs noticed thus far.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone here plays PC games anymore, but this game is something to check out if I might say so. I put a few hours into it. Nice storytelling, interesting characters, melee combat with depth, and a fascinating setting.

Demanding visuals. It looks great but the big 1080 Ti struggles at 4K. 20-40 fps. 2560x1440 holds 60 though. The game has a nice look to it. Cryengine gone medieval open world RPG is interesting.

Seems pretty solid. No crashes or bugs noticed thus far.
Is the game out already or just a beta? I ask this because GoG sent me an email to pre-order the game, and that was like 3-4 days ago. I thought the game would come out soon but not that is it out already.

As for playing games... Well, nothing better than a PC to play games. ALL kinds of games, blockbusters, indie, retro, modern, whatever.

Is the game out already or just a beta? I ask this because GoG sent me an email to pre-order the game, and that was like 3-4 days ago. I thought the game would come out soon but not that is it out already.

As for playing games... Well, nothing better than a PC to play games. ALL kinds of games, blockbusters, indie, retro, modern, whatever.

Oh yes it is released. I bought it on Steam.

I really like it so far. ~5 hours in. I like the storytelling. I feel like the realistic setting helps me relate better and I like the character work. It is much more engaging for me than Oblivion or Skyrim say. I like the voice actors and mocap work too.

The combat is intricate and I'm still getting that figured out. I loved Dark Messiah of Might & Magic's similar melee combat so this is exciting to me! Lots of stats and perks to learn about too. And there's a codex that is loaded with historical info.

One complaint I have is you need "Saviours Schnapps" (lol) to save manually. Otherwise it saves at points during quests. I don't like limited manual saves though. You get 3 uses and it's not hard to find, but eh still. If you don't have any and you want to quit for the night....irritating.

Visuals are usually quite impressive. There are some performance glitches at times but the 1080 Ti can manage 4K at almost maximum well enough. See below!

20180213221437_1.jpg 20180213222557_1.jpg 20180213221211_1.jpg

Last edited:
This game is on my whishlist, just haven't got much time to play lately.
Looks very nice and I like how they tried to keep it as close to historical times as possible. Definite buy at some point this year :)

I think I like it but I don't understand the combat (the arrow-thing) and I died while being chased by archers on horseback after
the town was sacked and my parents were killed.

There are some wonkiness, for example the transitions in the face animations from talking to not-talking are abrupt and make these people appear as if they are robots and the editing of the voices is not stellar making the delivery wooden because of the overly long pauses between people speaking.

Also there's a funny line where the guy playing the dumb friend (Fritz?) pauses too long because he struggles to pronounce the name Zybcheck or something in the poop-flinging quest.

Nevertheless, I can look past it for now.

Yeah I've seen some weirdness in the voice work and animations as well. But considering this game is a Kickstarter from basically a new studio, I'm impressed. I think their first game is better in some ways than Bethesda's best.

I had the problem with the archers on horseback too until I figured out I wasn't pushing the horse to full gallop speed. That segment is tricky though. Pretty intense.

Last edited:
This game is extremely obstinate and ruthless. Especially the swordplay but also the archery is ingenious and very complex. Even without VR one will be drawn into the fighting that one feels like he is in the middle of it. When For Honor was for the "rabble" then this is for the "elite". :) One often does not know when the game saved the last time which makes one feel even more that it's all about everything. On the other hand the limited storage is also a pity for a lot of people because it reduces the joy of experimenting.

EDIT:

Savegame mod (save without liquor): https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1

Last edited:
Back