Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. (from the creator of Castlevania Symphony of the Night)

WOw, that looks fantastic ! IS it out already ?
If you check their website maybe you can find something, I didn't. But they made some quite good games, like the Defense Grid series, Assetto Corsa, Terraria, Payday, Gems of War (successor of one of my preferred X360 games, Puzzle Quest).
Really? I honestly thought it looked pretty bad.
why? The animations? The parallax effect is a big sold for me, it looks really good and realistic.
I don't like it either, the animations are wrong.
I will shamelessly plug Hollow Knight
and Dead Cells
After seeing both trailers I liked Dead Cells a lot. But as I mentioned before, dunno about the animations, but the 3D feeling, like SOTN although a LOT more enhanced, and the parallax effect puts Bloodstained in a different league.
I liked that Bloodstained trailer, but damn, why not just sell it and market it as Castlevania!
Castlevania is a Japanese game, and they do things their way because they are cool, and awesome.

I guess that there are going to be differences with Castlevania, because the original Castlevania games are mostly window dressing on a totally Japanese game themed piecemeal after Western lore and myth in a manner not uncommon to the Japanese people.

I liked that Bloodstained trailer, but damn, why not just sell it and market it as Castlevania!

Because they don't have the legal right to. If Konami had any sense they would have licensed the brand or had some part in making the game themselves but we all know they haven't had sense for a very long time.

Because they don't have the legal right to. If Konami had any sense they would have licensed the brand or had some part in making the game themselves but we all know they haven't had sense for a very long time.

I meant sell to Konami to sell as Castlevania

I don't like it either, the animations are wrong.
I will shamelessly plug Hollow Knight
and Dead Cells

Both are so good, but Dead Cells is so far ahead of any other platformer on any platform right now. The only drawback is that it isn't finished yet. It's mostly feature complete, but they are still adding in areas and enemies for the rest of the game. Hollow Knight is by far the best platformer in the past 10+ years with regards to exploration and if Dead Cells didn't exist it'd be the best or tied for the best in almost everything else.

But Dead Cells is so much better mechanically with crisp and precise controls. Extremely satisfying feedback visually and audibly when you attack and kill enemies. The combat system is flexible enough that you can go full attack only, skills only, or any combination of the two and still succeed. It isn't surprising that there is almost universal praise and gushing for the game from streamers and VODers.

Regards,
SB

Hopefully the presentation becomes more stylized. It sort of reminds me of a puppet stage at the moment, and it just looks... off.

Hopefully the presentation becomes more stylized. It sort of reminds me of a puppet stage at the moment, and it just looks... off.
why so? Many people find it off putting but I have yet to see a Castlevania game with such nice parallax effects.

I think it looks good enough, but I prefer the pixel art style of the old Castlevanias as well. I'm also hoping we won't just be seeing a graphical remaster of the Symphony of the Night Castle. I love me some nice clock towers and hallways patrolled by big, armored knights. Still, maybe change them up a little?

they comment on the absence of fluid animation, it is quite slow, but praise other aspects. The game comes out sometime in 2018.

I quite like the animations actually. This is a 2d side scroller. A genre to which pinpoint precision and quick reflexes are paramount. Elaborate animation blending looks nice, but it always means you have to compromise on making the controls as responsive as possible. Just look at basically every modern third person game ever. Even something as simple as walking through a door can become a pain because movement is often so sloppy.
I do think that this particular style of animation works better with sprites, though. Still, the key poses are all on point. Netherealm could learn a thing or two here.
During the boss battle, this thing almost looks like a fighting game. There's a lot of back dashing and whiff punishing going on, and I really like the look of that.

Last edited:
the Japanese developer talks about the game. He has an interpreter. Looking good to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love how the dev tried to not reference the old game by name.
I see in the thread title change that is the dev for Castlevania SOTN. Makes total sense as that's what this game is in all but name.

Looking forward to playing it when it's finished.

I am playing this game at 4k on my PC (I got a 1080 graphics card) and this is a game that makes feel the same I felt when I played Ori --something I rarely feel btw. I couldn't stop playing it until I completed it. Bloodstained is the same thing, plus you can even use your legs to fight, and I love the main character.

Back