Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack of WipEout in VR is such a massive disappointment. This thing was practically made for the tech. It's a racer. It's essentially a PS3 game which more or less met all the resolution and framerate requirements a decade ago. It's also a game with a very clean art style, meaning it would have looked very pleasant on a low res head mounted display.

I think my brain would melt trying to play Wipeout in VR.

I'm actually a d-pad guy when it comes to Wipeout. I like the precision and predictability it affords, especially at very high speeds.
Either way, I don't think Wipeout VR is gonna happen. In typical Sony fashion, they've made a really cool peripheral which they are now pretending doesn't exist.

I'm actually a d-pad guy when it comes to Wipeout. I like the precision and predictability it affords, especially at very high speeds.
Either way, I don't think Wipeout VR is gonna happen. In typical Sony fashion, they've made a really cool peripheral which they are now pretending doesn't exist.
With the old wipeout games the dpad was perfect. I think it is quite difficult though playing Wipeout HD Fury's Phantom class without the sticks. You have to be precise with the amount of turning.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-forza-motorsport-7-xbox-one-x-true-4k-showcase

From our perspective, what's fascinating is that so much has moved on since we saw a quick port of FM6-era technology running on prototype Xbox One X hardware, and as good as it was, you could see that anisotropic filtering wasn't as high as it could have been, while those hard edges did exhibit a touch of aliasing and shimmer in motion.

These artefacts are cleaned up in FM7, and the clarity of the image is quite breathtaking. The visuals pop, and sub-pixel elements - especially noticeable on the player car model and far-off environment detail - resolves with minimal pixel break-up. To get that level of fidelity at native 4K is hugely gratifying from a visual perspective.

But just as impressive is the implementation of full dynamic lighting, allowing for gradual time of day transitions as well as a full-on weather system - all real-time now, as opposed to FM6's baked, static equivalents [UPDATE 17/6/17 2:20pm: we'll need to look at our captures more closely, but transitioning between multiple baked lighting models may be how Turn 10 has achieved this - it's an approach most recently seen in Horizon Zero Dawn]. During our Turn 10 visit, we could see how the developers could tweak lighting and weather on the fly during runtime, as easily as a movie colourist grades footage. The Nurburgring is the host circuit for demonstrating both technologies in the E3 demo, where a grey, overcast day turns into a fierce thunderstorm, before subsiding into a clear skies sunset, the track illuminated by floodlights. Everything we'd want from dynamic weather is here in terms of effects, but also with water accumulation and some beautiful reflections in the puddles - check out the end of the gameplay footage to see this in full effect.

They promised one. They did a PC video for it and said they'd soon post one for the PS4 and the Pro :)
1reqz1ybuix.jpg

Exactly as I expected, 1080p Xbox One games can run fairly well (and even better in most cases) at 4k, anything below that will likely have to go the cb route, which is totally fine and can produce great results.

Exactly as I expected, 1080p Xbox One games can run fairly well (and even better in most cases) at 4k, anything below that will likely have to go the cb route, which is totally fine and can produce great results.

I think it's possible we see some 900p titles hit native 4k. It's going to depend on which engine/how well game is optimised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back