Star Wars Battlefront 2 (SW:BF2)

Frostbite....:runaway:o_O:oops:

BATTLEFRONT was really good but Battlefield 1 failed in my opinion. From the Battlefield 1 thread:
"After I tested Mass Effect: Andromeda and the soon announcement of STAR WARS Battlefront 2 I wanted to look once again at the tech of Battlefield 1. What I have to say:

I am disgusted be the use of the Frostbite engine in Battlefield 1. They use a negative texture LOD in Battlefield 1 which looks horrible. The lower the resolution the worse it becomes. In 1620p (how I played it with 100fps) it is not as terrible but in FullHD it is a nightmare.

Without a high resolution or SSAA this negative texture LOD is a trick to get more details and a higher AF degree out of the textures but it produces a disgusting flickering and moiré effect. This reminds me of earlier video game days in which games often had no mipmaps, whereby the game shimmered then. The aggressive sharpening also aggravates the situation by a lot.

If the TAA is deactivated all the artifacts become even clearer. Many effects flicker etc. STAR WARS Battlefront and ME: A are quite different. Visually STAR WARS Battlefront is way better than Battlefield 1. I hope Battlefront 2 does not get such an eye cancer artefact rich graphics.

Oversharpening comparison PC vs. PlayStation 4:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/189259"

Not close at all. If you go back to Battlefield 1 trailers with the In Engine footage disclaimer, you can easily see the actual ingame footage has drastically reduced lighting, shaders and shadows. It's pretty much cutscene footage rendered in engine to get your mouth wet and then the per usual somewhat flatter lighting, less complex gameplay kicks in. Dice has been doing it over and over again since Battlefield 4 and I'm not fooling for it again. That said I believe the gameplay would still be pretty good looking, just not trailer good.

As far as I remember Uncharted 1-3 and TLoU had pre renedered cutsceens too and you said this on Jun 7, 2011 in the Uncharted 3 thread.

"OMG this game looks unbelievable beyond words, the improvements in lighting, effects and animation are astounding. The E3 demo actually felt less exciting than the UC2 E3 demo but technically it's way above it. The trailer however has sent me straight to heaven:):)."

I find it interesting how people change their opinion when their favorite developers do something else. Naughty Dog is using real time cutscenes only since Uncharted 4 if I am not wrong.
Precalculated cutscenes have always bothered me with their pixelated artifacts and 30fps. In general I do not count these as game graphics.

The prequel's robots armies were bloody awful

Stormtroopers were worse. Even <1m Ewoks from the Stone Age could defeat them. Unfortunately, I can not take Strormtroopers seriously. In three movies they have only hit once a character.

Last edited:
As far as I remember Uncharted 1-3 and TLoU had pre renedered cutsceens too and you said this on Jun 7, 2011 in the Uncharted 3 thread.

"OMG this game looks unbelievable beyond words, the improvements in lighting, effects and animation are astounding. The E3 demo actually felt less exciting than the UC2 E3 demo but technically it's way above it. The trailer however has sent me straight to heaven:):)."

I find it interesting how people change their opinion when their favorite developers do something else. Naughty Dog is using real time cutscenes only since Uncharted 4 if I am not wrong.
Precalculated cutscenes have always bothered me with their pixelated artifacts and 30fps. In general I do not count these as game graphics.
There's digging it deep and then there is digging it deep:LOL:, I am humbled by your enthusiasm sir.
But really it's not like I stopped learning in the span of 6 years, contrary to your opinion tho I do criticise ND or whoever being disingenuous about their marketed contents. And much like yourself I don't really count pixelated pre rendered cutscene as true in game graphics either. I don't even hail real time cutscene graphics as much as I do with in game graphics these days unless they are 99% consistent like the new God of War 4. If you do more digging on my comments on the initial gameplay reveal of UC4, you could literally see me tore it apart despite how much more it has improved in the final code.
30fps tho is entirely passable in my book, pretty sure more people would agree with me than you.

The prequel's robots armies were bloody awful and that's one reason not to make any effort to include those dumb arses in the trailer.
They were plenty capable of laying the smack down. Just a glimpse of a Droideka parking up and laying into some troops is all it'd take to look cool and show the period with Darth Maul is properly represented. Although the weapons have been so amped that anyone can run around with a massive machine gun and personal shield. :rolleyes:
If DICE are going to the lengths to have specific assets for all eras,...
Are they though? The only thing shown of the earlier period was Darth Maul, confronting Yoda, under the Multiplayer heading. Could well just be heroes from across all era are present, maybe with one-on-one battle recreations. The earlier era had way better vehicles to mix up battlefield combat than post Episode 4. I see nothing in that trailer to suggest the pre-Empire period is at all represented.

Also, Endor looks flipping incredible. Lighting is bonkers good.

And what's with Tie-Fighters with white solar-panels? That's a pretty dumb design flaw...

There's digging it deep and then there is digging it deep:LOL:, I am humbled by your enthusiasm sir.
But really it's not like I stopped learning in the span of 6 years, contrary to your opinion tho I do criticise ND or whoever being disingenuous about their marketed contents. And much like yourself I don't really count pixelated pre rendered cutscene as true in game graphics either. I don't even hail real time cutscene graphics as much as I do with in game graphics these days unless they are 99% consistent like the new God of War 4. If you do more digging on my comments on the initial gameplay reveal of UC4, you could literally see me tore it apart despite how much more it has improved in the final code.
30fps tho is entirely passable in my book, pretty sure more people would agree with me than you.

Understood. At the very least we are in agreement on pre calculated cutscenes. I also bet that many of these characters will be offline rendered. Especially Darth Maul and Yoda.

Meanwhile, 30fps annoy me so much that I do not buy 30fps games anymore. At some point this cluncy 30fps gameplay must have an end. We are not in the 1990s where the performance was so limited that one was really glad to get 35fps in DOOM (which was the fps limit back then). Today it is incomprehensible to me.
I had high hopes before the release of the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One Scorio specs that 60fps would be the goal. To place a 15 watt CPU next to a 150 watt/ 4,2/ 6 Teraflop GPU is in my opinion ridiculously unbalanced as a system. No one should pair a four year old Dualcore with a Titan X. One could could think that the user put all his money into one component so that nothing was left for anything else.

Last edited:
'Across all eras' and they show Darth Maul, but no robots? I'm guessing it's not really all eras beyond a few cameos.

"Across all eras" and not even a tiny snippet of Revan and Bastila??
What kind of mind games are these guys playing with?!

:devilish:

I mean how they were portrayed as poor comedic characters.
None of that is needed in a game trailer. In fact they could be shown hard-core, not for a kiddie audience.

Do you think the pre-Empire period is going to be fully represented? Like the original games, with Republic and Cis sides, Naboo, etc?
"Across all eras" and not even a tiny snippet of Revan and Bastila??
I assume they're sticking to the movies and not the wider SW universe.

Eurogamer is reporting from the Star Wars event in Orlando that the Clone Wars is being represented.
From 5 minutes. Also shows a Federation droid.

I had high hopes before the release of the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One Scorio specs that 60fps would be the goal.

How come? There always were and there always will be games going for graphical showboating over performance and vice versa. And unless we're talking exclusives, you'll always have the option of buying yourself around the issue via PC hardware. Doubt that's going to change anytime soon.

Not close at all. If you go back to Battlefield 1 trailers with the In Engine footage disclaimer, you can easily see the actual ingame footage has drastically reduced lighting, shaders and shadows.
Any comparison screenshots/videos?

Set on naboo? You get to maybe kill thousands of robots called roger?
giphy.gif

Back