New Tablet

zed

Legend
I'm gonna buy a new Tablet, mainly i.e. 90% for watching media/browsing internet outside/bed etc, thus keyboard not necessary so I dont want a laptop.
The only other software I will run is perhaps Cubase (requires USB dongle under windows)

OS preference
#1 Windows
#2 IOS (version of cubase for tablet)
#3 android

Any suggestions?, must be fanless of course

Also what are your battery life expectations? Anything using a Core M would likely be fine. Battery life varies depending on manufacturer. I can't imagine even 4k video would push a Kaby Lake Core M too hard.

The new Surface Pro at 799 USD would likely be fine with really good battery life. But you can probably find cheaper Core M units from OEMs. Usually with worse screen and battery life, but not always.

iOS Tablets are pretty good for that too as long as you don't need robust productivity software.

Regards,
SB

cheers all, I've asked elsewhere and it seems I cant use (a lesser version) of cubase unless I repurchase or use my hardware dongle, which I dont really want to do on a tablet. Yes PC & laptop OK but tablet which gets used rougher and from all angles, you dont want anything sticking out of it.
Which sort of rules out getting a windows device, So it looks like I'm left with getting an ipad, I see theres an apple press conference in a few days, I'll wait till then before I buy.

No option for a really small dongle like modern receivers for keyboard/mouse and certain storage drives that barely stick out? :)

That's a slightly interesting/fascinating situation.
BTW there's already an iPad (2017) out and so if you get this one, conferences won't change a thing.

The dongle I have is pretty large it sticks out ~4cm,
steinberg-hardware-usb-key-USB-e-Licenser.jpg

there is rumored to be a new ipad pro coming out tomorrow which either may be what I want or perhaps push down the prices of the current ipad

there is rumored to be a new ipad pro coming out tomorrow which either may be what I want or perhaps push down the prices of the current ipad
The general speculation seems to be that the rumored iPad Pro 10.5" will replace the existing iPad Pro 9.7". I doubt any non-Pro iPads will see any price changes.

Another good reason to wait until tomorrow is for the iOS 11 preview, especially to see if there are any new iPad-specific features.

The dongle I have is pretty large it sticks out ~4cm,

The new dongle is smaller and costs $25.

Does this really affect the purchase of a new tablet, especially given the fact that you're looking at ~$1000 tablets?

Besides, is the iOS version of cubase identical to the full windows desktop version?

It certainly doesn't seem to be, as the ipad version is even called Cubasis..

iPad non pro is really "cheap", has a recent iPhone CPU and 2GB RAM. It's like the iPhone SE of iPads. But doesn't support pen/stylus input contrary to the Pro.

iPad Pro 9.7 has a bit of a poor value with "only" 2GB RAM.

Anyway since good, useful info was given by fellow posters above I will add forum noise now.
The Atari STPAD prototype! Might have worked well if soldering yourself a RAM uggrade was an option.
I wager they could have marketed it to musicians really. Battery technology was the only thing that really sucked in that day.
http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/16bits/stpad.html

Besides, is the iOS version of cubase identical to the full windows desktop version?
Yeah thanks for that video it looks like cubase is unusable on the tablet, even with the pen it looks like a lot of things don't register, I was expecting it to act like a mouse, like if I click on something with a mouse I know it will activate it, looking at that video the dude was tapping the screen with the pen, and often nothing was happening, maybe his hardware is buggy, but doesnt inspire me with confidence, seems weird my brother is a graphic designer and just uses a pen & pad for all his input, he doesnt use a mouse at all (he runs a mac though but I wouldnt think this would make a difference).
Yes Cubasis is different software (able to read cubase files though) its designed for a tablet thus I assume won't have the above issues that the guy with a pen is having

@zed there is a huge difference between iPad and MACs. The two don't even run the same OS or programs as the CPUs are vastly different.

This looks like a software issue. You have several possible modes of operation for a program : mouse, touchscreen with fingers, pen and not all pens are equal either.

It's possible Cubase doesn't support the Microsoft pen properly (I don't know how they call it) or perhaps you could use a fallback mode (from OS settings) where the pen acts as a dumb mouse, rather than failing at triggering "finger" input (if that's what happens here).

If you get an iPad Pro with the pen and Cubasis, the exact same thing might happen. Perhaps it doesn't support the iPad pen at all, and then I don't know what kind of failure it does. It might accept no pen input at all if the design philosophy is to use a special pen input API and have programs either fully support the pen or don't support it at all.

Of course if you want something now and it doesn't work, it does not matter very much why it is fubar'ed. I am giving some benefit of the doubt to Cubase (or maybe Microsoft), they would need to patch in some proper support.

Cheers Davros, the whole thing is now moot, since I wanted a windows tablet to run cubase but as seen in tottentanz's vid it's nearly unusable with a pen,let along your finger.
So the only real option left is to get an ipad and use cubasis (designed for the tablet), this has downsides as well, namely apple software generally sux with its locked down shit, though apparently ios11 comes with a 'shock horror' file manager

Keep in mind a few things.

That was a video from 2014 using a Surface Pro 3.

The pen has gone through 2 major revisions since then with significant improvements each time.

Cubase has likely been upgrade since then to work better with pen and touch input. Adobe software of that era also used to be relatively hit and miss with pen and touch (sometimes horribly so), but modern Adobe software is significantly better with support of pen and touch on Windows.

Regards,
SB

Back