Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any new 4K Tvs that do 3D as well? I like to continue watching my 3D Blu-rays...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Last year's B6 is a most popular OLED from LG, but C6 adds to it support for 3D.

Sony and Samsung have seemingly dropped 3D, which is a shame.

i ordered 1080p SDR monitor but with way more color gamut than my 4k HDR TV.

cant waitto compare how my ps pro looks on them in a few weeks!

i ordered 1080p SDR monitor but with way more color gamut than my 4k HDR TV.

cant waitto compare how my ps pro looks on them in a few weeks!

I don't understand. If the monitor is SDR, it will be fed an SDR signal so the colour gamut will still be the same as any other SDR display - i.e. 8 bit colour.

I don't understand. If the monitor is SDR, it will be fed an SDR signal so the colour gamut will still be the same as any other SDR display - i.e. 8 bit colour.

I assumed Monitor in the professional mastering video sense?
Do you mean PC Monitor? I assume a pc monitor is not bound by broadcast standards as much so could have higher colour gamut already for thoes in design and such?

A 2nd pretty great review of the TCL 55"

http://referencehometheater.com/review/tcl-p-series-uhd-tv-review/

If you’re looking to spend $600 on a TV, you should get the TCL P-Series. If the 65” model was available today, I’d be out there buying it for myself. Unless you exclusively watch HDR content, you’re going to have to spend a lot more money to get a better image than the TCL, and it represents the best value in a TV you can get today. I spent a week worried I was runnings test incorrectly or doing something wrong until I had other sets of eyes come over and verify what I was seeing. It isn’t a perfect TV by any means, but for most people, it’s a fantastic value and comes highly recommended

The Chinese coming hard!

Now my only issue is should I get the 55" "soon" whenever it ships, or wait for the 65, which is supposed to MRSP for 1k but hopefully I could get it cheaper? I still would prefer to go larger than my current TV. But, hate to wait, the 65 may not be as good, etc.

Supposedly they may ship as early as June 5 so i may have to decide about my preorder soonrer than later.

If people catch on to this IMO it should dominate the market. appears to be nearly as good as MUCH pricier Sony and Samsung sets.

Price sounds great but wary of the Chinese brands.

They used to implant spyware into picture frames years ago and more recently some of the smart phones had suspicious software too.

US govt. also barred the use of Huawei routers, IIRC, due to security concerns.

Input lag with HDR is my top priority so Vizio TVs are out. I have narrowed it down to a few TVs.

Sony 55X900E $1399
Samsung 65" KS8500 $1599
Samsung 55" KS8000 $999

For $999 the 8000 seems like a great deal but the x900e has slightly better hdr performance plus it's FALD. The lag on the 900 is less than desirable however. I rather have a 65 incher so the 8500 with its 8000 specs including the better lag input makes it's a pretty compelling choice. I could live without the curve (it doesn't seem too pronounced on Samsungs) but I haven't run across 65 inch flat model.

I am open to other TVs but only with well documented lag figures with HDR content.

I am leaning towards the KS8500 but I wanted to make sure I am not missing any relevant information.

Anybody want to chime in?

I recently upgraded to a 55X900E from a Sony W900A (19ms input lag). I was worried that the X900E would be too laggy, but it was only slightly a bit laggier and it took me about an hour to adapt.... maybe I'm just not sensitive to input lag.

Price sounds great but wary of the Chinese brands.

They used to implant spyware into picture frames years ago and more recently some of the smart phones had suspicious software too.

US govt. also barred the use of Huawei routers, IIRC, due to security concerns.

I'm not gonna worry about that on a TV...

Generally I think "privacy concerns" are overrated. That ship kinda sailed. At this point we kind of just have to accept large corporations have all our data, IMO. It's not the end of the world, clearly.

A good example is the voice assistants like echo. Probably a privacy nightmare. i choose to overlook it and use them anyway.

That said I wouldn't buy a Lenovo laptop, after reading they had spyware installed on them some years ago...

Generally I think "privacy concerns" are overrated. That ship kinda sailed. At this point we kind of just have to accept large corporations have all our data, IMO. It's not the end of the world, clearly.

A good example is the voice assistants like echo. Probably a privacy nightmare. i choose to overlook it and use them anyway.

That said I wouldn't buy a Lenovo laptop, after reading they had spyware installed on them some years ago...

I haven't bothered to even connect my consumer electronics to my network. I know Samsung and Vizio TVs have a rep. for ads and intrusive things like logging your watching and recording you via the mic.

But with these 4K TVs, it may be one of the easiest way to get streaming 4K and HDR content, because there aren't too many set top boxes with 4K HDR support yet. I hear Nvidia Shield but that's $200 and you're paying for gaming capabilities that you may not want or use.

I know privacy is a problem with connected devices these days but I see no reason not to try to minimize intrusive devices when possible.

A smart TV is basically a computer with zero security that you connect your devices too. When you connect two devices together with HDMI, that connection includes an Ethernet bridge. Malware injection over I/O is how many devices become compromised.

Yeah, mine is the winner of the budget line. I have the 43" one. They had a good piece of advice under "Settings": "The 'Clearness' setting will make the backlight flash, producing a clearer image but reducing the brightness of the TV. This can be useful to clear motion while playing video games without increasing the input lag." I just upped the brightness and things looks quite sharp when gaming. And the scaling is also nice. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d/settings

Agreed, 3D is dead. It's because people hate having things on their face unless its for extreme and intense pleasure.

I thought it might live on because the selling price differential was so small compared to non-3D sets, guess not.

Well, if TV makers do not want to take my money they don't have to. Guess I'll stick with my plasma....

A smart TV is basically a computer with zero security that you connect your devices too. When you connect two devices together with HDMI, that connection includes an Ethernet bridge. Malware injection over I/O is how many devices become compromised.

Isn't zero security is a bit harsh? I think my LG TV have security built into it!

I mean, it constantly getting new updates! Every 3 months or so! Surely they did something right?

No way it's just an update for the internal user tracking and more stability right?

Let me see the changelog... Oh fuck...

3. Release History
[04.30.02]
1. Change on Volume UI location
2. YouTube requirement for certification (When the network is not connected)
3. MS CDMi application
4. Changes on LG TV Plus (iOS UAC, Mobile video)

[04.30.40]
1. Improve that motion remote controller doesn’t work after blue-tooth initialization pop-up.
2. Improve the lip-sync issue in RF DTV.

[04.30.70]
1. Improve the Sony PS4 Pro no signal issue (HDCP fail)

[04.30.82]
1. Apply the HDR Game mode.

[04.31.00]
1. Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag

[04.31.10]
1. Improve the TV reboot issue while playing MLB CP contents.

Isn't zero security is a bit harsh? I think my LG TV have security built into it!

I think the angle was the TV being the vector of attack not the TV being the target. But hell, it's only a matter of time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back