Predict: Next gen console tech (9th iteration and 10th iteration edition) [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintento Switch has both Softbank's ARM & Nvidia.... so easy to see the -alredy happened- impact (also becouse its good tech of course... and the best for portable devices). About Sony I've just made an (not much educated) guess based on a feeling... :D ... that's for next gen devices.... (for this gen... PS4, PS4pro, PS4go, PS4pro2 or whatever... it will stay with AMD of course becouse of BC / FC).

Nintento Switch has both Softbank's ARM & Nvidia.... so easy to see the -alredy happened- impact (also becouse its good tech of course... and the best for portable devices). About Sony I've just made an (not much educated) guess based on a feeling... :D ... that's for next gen devices.... (for this gen... PS4, PS4pro, PS4go, PS4pro2 or whatever... it will stay with AMD of course becouse of BC / FC).

So how does Softbank now owning a big share of these companies affect Nintendo's Switch business? Or are you thinking more the Switch successor? Either way, I don't think there's much that will change by Softbank's ownership.

Softbank just wants to be the biggest tech investment entity in the world. They throw money around and sit and wait for the profits to come rolling in. I don't think their role in the operation of any of the companies they're invested in is anything more than this.

After I had found out what this person did, I had a few questions to ask about the PS5 and what it will arrive as - especially when we look at Microsoft's upcoming Project Scorpio console. The first question I had was "will it feature a discrete GPU" to which I received a smile and a "I can't say exactly", and then I said would it feature an APU like Project Scorpio, and then there was a "no".

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57845/playstation-5-feature-full-discrete-gpu-apu/index.html

And theres a rumour of ps5 having discrete gpu ?

Its probably possible -at not much reasonable price- to bound CPU, APU and HMB2 with same tech. Just a matter of cost... but if they decide to launch a 1000 $ console... maybe. Of course not. Probably they are trying to beat Scorpio "now" (2018, 2019... maybe 2020) with lower PS4 pro (slim) prices... that means -I think- discontinuing PS4 2018.

If Sony went "exotic" again with PS5, I still believe they will try to stick to the X86 formula as much as possible [to ease backward/forward compatibility and not traumatize devs]... but if they will not use basic APU approach [like this report claims], then there are still few options on the table:
  • This could just be pre-production phase in which Sony is just early sampling what AMD can offer in the form of a bigass interposer on which AMD has thrown a some future lowpower CPU/APU and larger discrete GPU that they use to simulate how nextgen APU would work.
  • PS5 would be based on a big interposer that would house as much hardware as possible. I would go full berserk and place on it even multi-layered NAND for scratch storage, which could be used by OS/users or even dedicated to be fast scratch memory for GPU [Raja hypes it like it is a godsend]
  • PS5 would retain similar form like PS4, but 7nm APU would go vertical. Let's say each layer is an APU consisting from 4core/8thread laptop Zen & 6TF GPU. Two layers would give enough performance for a nice jump over games created for base PS4. They could also not go vertical imediatley, but stick to 2.5D interposer for a start.
  • They could stack something else on top of APU, like lots and lots of RAM&storage layers.

Still I think big 7nm APU is still the safest [and cheapest] option.

If Sony went "exotic" again with PS5, I still believe they will try to stick to the X86 formula as much as possible [to ease backward/forward compatibility and not traumatize devs]... but if they will not use basic APU approach [like this report claims], then there are still few options on the table:
  • This could just be pre-production phase in which Sony is just early sampling what AMD can offer in the form of a bigass interposer on which AMD has thrown a some future lowpower CPU/APU and larger discrete GPU that they use to simulate how nextgen APU would work.
  • PS5 would be based on a big interposer that would house as much hardware as possible. I would go full berserk and place on it even multi-layered NAND for scratch storage, which could be used by OS/users or even dedicated to be fast scratch memory for GPU [Raja hypes it like it is a godsend]
  • PS5 would retain similar form like PS4, but 7nm APU would go vertical. Let's say each layer is an APU consisting from 4core/8thread laptop Zen & 6TF GPU. Two layers would give enough performance for a nice jump over games created for base PS4. They could also not go vertical imediatley, but stick to 2.5D interposer for a start.
  • They could stack something else on top of APU, like lots and lots of RAM&storage layers.

Still I think big 7nm APU is still the safest [and cheapest] option.
I don't think interposer could reasonably fit more than the HPC APU -project, which according to old leaks has 2 Zeppelins, beefy GPU and 2 HBM2 chips on board (with 2 or 4 DDR4 controllers, can't remember anymore) - the bigger question would similar configuration be feasible at 7nm price wise

A company has finally taken high end gaming laptop internals a used it to build a slim gaming desktop.

Probably the closest you'll get to having an Intel/Nvidia console.

Last edited:
After I had found out what this person did, I had a few questions to ask about the PS5 and what it will arrive as - especially when we look at Microsoft's upcoming Project Scorpio console. The first question I had was "will it feature a discrete GPU" to which I received a smile and a "I can't say exactly", and then I said would it feature an APU like Project Scorpio, and then there was a "no".

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57845/playstation-5-feature-full-discrete-gpu-apu/index.html

And theres a rumour of ps5 having discrete gpu ?

Well there's his problem right there... of course it won't feature an APU LIKE Scorpio. It will be an APU UN-LIKE Scorpio.

Ask a dumb question and get a meaningless answer... next!

This is the tech needed for a true next gen console.... "With the increased transistor density, IBM said the 5nm chip achieves 40% performance boost, or 75% power efficiency with the same performance, over the current-generation 10nm chips coming out now."

Now the question is... when it will be ready for quite cheap production ?
2020 I guess.... console viable 2021 or 2022

With such a power PS4 or X1 can be just emulated for BC....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2017/06/05/ibm-5nm-chips/#749cb453c561

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back