Xbox Game Pass, Game Pass Ultimate now Includes EA Play! [XGP, GamePass]

Still not really seeing anything compelling here. Still, these types of services are interesting going forward and to see how they evolve and/or thrive or not. Sony, might as well give up PS Now and throw in...

Thinking about what BRiT said earlier, this is also extremely good for first time buyers of an Xbox console or even someone who maybe skipped a generation. For a very low price you get immediate access to a LOT of gaming content.

Unless the content is updated frequently (monthly for example) then I don't see much reason to sub for more than a month or two at a time, however. But if you plan to do like me and just sub one month at a time and maybe only once or twice a year, then this is an absolutely amazing value proposition.

Hell, looking at GameStop at some of the titles I'm interested in playing.

Halo 5 - 26.97 USD used.
Sunset Overdrive - 9.99 USD used.
Mad Max - 14.99 USD used.
DMC: Definitive Edition - 19.99 USD used.

So assuming I have time to play all of those in a single month, for the price of just one of those games I get to play all of them and more. Heck, just those 4 titles (78.27 USD including tax) almost pays for an entire year's sub to the service.

That said, the service is obviously not for those that have already played most of the titles in the list or people that generally buy games as soon as the games launch.

And I could be wrong on the following, but I think I read somewhere that the majority (greater than 50%) of console game spending comes from less than 10% of the install base or something along those lines. This service doesn't apply to them. It potentially appeals to that other 90% that don't spend as much per year on games.

Regards,
SB

I don't understand why you're so negative on it.
It's not negative. Just an evaluation of what exactly is on offer to see who it's currently best for and who won't be interested. Hence the question "How's that looking?" for feedback from XBox gamers who recognise the titles more than I will.

Edit: I suppose my post was negative where the majority was from the perspective of core gamers, but by those questions I meant I'm trying to understand the audience, as below.

Age of Booty. That right there more than pays for itself even for a 2 month time-frame.
Age of Booty was great fun! But perhaps that there is what I'm pikcing up. Great for 2 months. After that? Is this a subscription that MS will get lots of people on permanently, on Netflix, or is it a short term thing that people dip into? What even is MS intent? Do they actually want lots of permanent subscribers or are they happy to have it as a short term adoption service? *shrug*

the thing is we don't know what will come in every month.
it only really needs to be 1 or 2 games that appeal to make someone consider continuing the subscription.

how many people are going to get through the 4 or so games they see it worth having for a month, when they still have the new stuff to play?

the service may appeal just on games people wanted to play but didn't want to buy.

one thing is for certain, it's not aimed to be a replacement for buying newer games, just a supplement for the core, and bit more for the casual.
and really good for during holidays.

Yea, was responding to you although was more a general post.
I'm saying that the overall quality of the library doesn't need to be as high as some people probably think, or not the big AAA games, just enough games to keep/get people interested enough to buy into it.
Throw in farming simulator, trucking sim :LOL:

Edit: Now that they have a subscription service, maybe GwG should be made so that you don't need an active subscription to play them like it is on the x360.
As GwG are basically subscription based games on X1.

Last edited:
Well inspired by Boogie 2988's video I think I might at least do the 14 day free trial on this, though I doubt I'll actually pay for even one month.

As he scrolled down the titles I found a fair few I'd be at least interested in puttering around. Mainly older Arcade port type things. Although I think I may already own (and didn't play much!) a lot of those!

If you bought a game digitally on Xbox 360, and it becomes backwards compatible, does it automatically show up on your Xbox One as available?

I tried the 14 days.

I found three games that was interested in, one was Halo 5. Two of the games are not worth playing. Halo 5 is mildly entertaining, so I can use the $9.99 to finish the SP and then quit or just quit and buy the game. I have not decided. For the most part the service is a bunch of crappy games. While it's cheaper than a game rental service, you get what you pay for.

I tried the 14 days.

I found three games that was interested in, one was Halo 5. Two of the games are not worth playing. Halo 5 is mildly entertaining, so I can use the $9.99 to finish the SP and then quit or just quit and buy the game. I have not decided. For the most part the service is a bunch of crappy games. While it's cheaper than a game rental service, you get what you pay for.

A bit disingenuous to say a bunch of crappy games. The service in its current state is not targetted at the majority that posts here. But hopefully everybody else will make up their own mind.

Tommy McClain

Normally I don't pimp out random drawings like this, but here's a chance at winning an entire year subscription to Xbox Game Pass care of TrueAchievements: https://www.trueachievements.com/n2...tion-to-xbox-game-pass-and-one-year-of-ta-pro

(Rules And Regulations)
- This competition is unavailable to TA Staff members
- The winner will be chosen at random by Gleam
- Winners will receive the download code via email or DM on Twitter
- This competition is available worldwide
- Entries close on Tuesday, June 6th at 8PM BST

Entries are through doing simple actions on Gleam -- such as following TA on Twitter, Retweet, Visit on Facebook, Subscribe to YT, Visit on G+, Follow on Beam/Mixer, or Find out more on Xbox Game Pass.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Seagate is jumping in with the hopes of profiting from this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11492...game-drive-for-xbox-game-pass-special-edition

As an added value, Seagate is offering a one-month subscription to the Xbox Game Pass with the 2 TB model, and a two-month subscription with the 4 TB model. The MSRP is $89.99 for the smaller version, and $129.99 for the 4 TB version, so once again, the price premium to get a branded drive for your Xbox is not excessive, although it is a bit more than a non-branded model.

Regards,
SB

I'm not sure how long this pricing structure will hold, but currently Bing Rewards has the Xbox Game Pass - 12 Month set for 29,000 points if you're at the Reward Level 2 (GOLD). This is a great price for it. This equates to roughly $29 - $31 for an entire year. The 1 month redemption is currently 6800 points with Reward Level 2 (GOLD).

BingRewards_XboxGamePass.png

BTW: That's also the same redemption price for 12 months of Xbox Live Gold membership.

That's pretty tempting as I have almost 60k rewards points now. But I don't need a full year, and I think I'd rather just use that to apply 60 USD towards a new Surface.

Regards,
SB

Seems like putting a bunch of older games that have already sold most of their life sales into a subscription service is a smart business move. My issue is the price. $10 feels too much. I think they either need to drop the price or cycle newer games into the service. ie AAA games that are 18 months old.

If you get it from Bing Rewards the price works out to under $2.60 a month. For $5.20 a month you can get Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass subscriptions for 12 months. Combined they are well worth the $62 a year.

Actually after watching that Boogie 2988 video and him scrolling through the library it makes it seem like you are getting a decent value.

How often do the cycle games in out?

Seems like putting a bunch of older games that have already sold most of their life sales into a subscription service is a smart business move. My issue is the price. $10 feels too much. I think they either need to drop the price or cycle newer games into the service. ie AAA games that are 18 months old.
i wonder if there's any stats to how long it takes a casual gamer to finish a typical game.
maybe 1 or 2 games a month, if that?

kind of made this point before, but it may only need a couple AAA that a person wants to play to give it value to that gamer. They would then probably give a couple other games they wouldn't have bought a shot also, suddenly that $10 may not seem that expensive to them.

it will be interesting to see what their rotation looks like though.

Actually after watching that Boogie 2988 video and him scrolling through the library it makes it seem like you are getting a decent value.

How often do the cycle games in out?

That's the big question right now. Nobody other than some Microsoft executives know at this point. All we know is that Microsoft plan on adding and occasionally removing titles.

But no idea on frequency or quantity. Those are going to be important as to whether this is something most people will want to subscribe to long term, or whether you want to just treat it as a month by month rental service.

For me, it'd always be a month by month service as I don't have time to play games extensively all the time as I did when I was a lot younger.

Regards,
SB

Back